Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:Re: The Combat Mode hotkey, I don't think four separate keys is practical
I was thinking it might be nice if they were unbound by default but settable in general.cfg. When playing fighter-type characters, I often find myself forgetting to switch modes before attacking (and often wasting some Feat damage in the process); if I had a definite key for each mode, it'd become muscle memory during combat. So maybe a key bound by default which cycles, and four unbound-by-default for the individual modes?

And a cherry on top!
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

The following post is in no way relevant or helpful to the conversation:

When I first looked at Combat Mode Hotkey, I thought it said Hardcore Combat Monkey. Just thought I should share.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Rowanas wrote:The following post is in no way relevant or helpful to the conversation:

When I first looked at Combat Mode Hotkey, I thought it said Hardcore Combat Monkey. Just thought I should share.
Hee hee, can I have a Combat Monkey? I'll call him George and he can play with my snow puppies when he's not adventuring with me!

Oh, and then I'll need some bananas. :wink:

Ok, you can tell me to get back on topic now.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Farwalker wrote:
Rowanas wrote:The following post is in no way relevant or helpful to the conversation:

Hee hee, can I have a Combat Monkey? I'll call him George and he can play with my snow puppies when he's not adventuring with me!

Oh, and then I'll need some bananas. :wink:

Ok, you can tell me to get back on topic now.
Y'know, if it's a Pygmy Marmoset, you can feed it all those berries and seeds that barely feed you at all. Steaks for you, Yambi berries for the Marmoset.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

As requested by BW himself, I would like to see thirst and hunger be more deadly to characters, getting progressively worse the longer one goes without food or drink. At least make the damage speed up over time, eventually increasing in severity so that a person with high enough endurance can't just ignore food and drink for the whole game.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:As requested by BW himself, I would like to see thirst and hunger be more deadly to characters, getting progressively worse the longer one goes without food or drink. At least make the damage speed up over time, eventually increasing in severity so that a person with high enough endurance can't just ignore food and drink for the whole game.
I would further propose that it be much more severe (perhaps squared) if you're missing food and water at the same time. Such severe mistreatment of the body is a good way to die a painful death.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

I'm playing 1.02, so it might have been corrected with 1.04 (didn't see it mentioned, though).

I can kill ghosts and skeletons with fleshboil, even if they don't have any (flesh, I mean).

And for unarmed combatants, it'd be nice if we could have some kind of gloves (to imbue :D) to fight with.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

ManusDei wrote:I can kill ghosts and skeletons with fleshboil, even if they don't have any (flesh, I mean).
Sweet! I'm not the only one who feels this way about this issue! YaY!! :mrgreen:
(And, FTR, I don't think Fleshboil should work on any undead, including zombies...)

Having said that, I'm not expecting this to get changed in Book II.
But I'll be sure to bring this issue up, for both of us! when we put together a Book III suggestions wishlist. :)
ManusDei wrote:And for unarmed combatants, it'd be nice if we could have some kind of gloves (to imbue :D) to fight with.
Well, at least there's a ring for you guys.

But, yeah - a set of gloves would be cool too...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

A new, not terribly important bug, but notable nonetheless. If you try to sell a stack of unidentified items without IDing them, you can't. The "pick-a-number" slider won't come up.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

IJBall wrote:
ManusDei wrote:I can kill ghosts and skeletons with fleshboil, even if they don't have any (flesh, I mean).
Sweet! I'm not the only one who feels this way about this issue! YaY!! :mrgreen:
(And, FTR, I don't think Fleshboil should work on any undead, including zombies...)

But I'll be sure to bring this issue up, for both of us! when we put together a Book III suggestions wishlist. :)
I think fleshboil should work on anything organic: bone, mumified or decaying flesh, wood, even leather - all seems fair game to me. Spirits/ghosts, well I guess that's up for debate - but if they are solid enough to hit with some of the other magic spell attacks then I see no reason fleshboil couldn't work too. I'd argue a divine-based attack should be more likely to be effective than an elemental magic based attack for spirit beings.

That's my 2 cents deposited. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Farwalker wrote:
IJBall wrote:

I think fleshboil should work on anything organic: bone, mumified or decaying flesh, wood, even leather - all seems fair game to me. Spirits/ghosts, well I guess that's up for debate - but if they are solid enough to hit with some of the other magic spell attacks then I see no reason fleshboil couldn't work too. I'd argue a divine-based attack should be more likely to be effective than an elemental magic based attack for spirit beings.
Aside from just not seeing why Fleshboil should work on 'non-fleshy' beings like the Undead, my other problem with it is - if Fleshboil works on the Undead, then why even have the Turn Undead spell?! (The latter is basically rendered moot! and there's no reason to even use it...)

I dunno - having Fleshboil work on everything just makes Healers that much less special to me, and makes them almost indistinguishable from Mages IMO.

But I realize this is one of those "controversial" topics... ;)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Possible new issue with paying smiths for repairs.

Here's my story: I found a Hide Skullcap in "Excellent" condition (value: 3 GP). I went to the smith in Eastwillow, clicked on "Repair Mode" button, and checked - the pop-up description said that repairing the Skullcap would cost 1 GP. So, I paid. And my Hide Skullcap is now in perfect condition (value: 4 GP) - even the little status bar looks filled up to 100%.

So then I moved my cursor over my Skullcap after my paid-for repair... and this happened:
Repair-issue.jpg
Repair-issue.jpg (117.2 KiB) Viewed 7770 times
So, while it should be indicating that no Repairs are necessary, it's now willing to double-charge me another 1 GP to do a phantom (>100% status?) repair.

This, combined with my previous post on the subject, is making me think that something weird is going on with Repairs...
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

IJBall wrote: Aside from just not seeing why Fleshboil should work on 'non-fleshy' beings like the Undead, my other problem with it is - if Fleshboil works on the Undead, then why even have the Turn Undead spell?! (The latter is basically rendered moot! and there's no reason to even use it...)

I dunno - having Fleshboil work on everything just makes Healers that much less special to me, and makes them almost indistinguishable from Mages IMO.

But I realize this is one of those "controversial" topics... ;)
Fleshboil and Sunder Flesh both work on undead for different reasons since they are all classed the same way versus those spells. You really need to separate out ghosts and a few others that it won't work on instead.

Turn Undead is the Healer equivalent of Sparkling Wonder but only works on undead and does a little damage. OF course having to run after the undead to finish them off afterwards is a pain.

Healers one real advantage is all the buffing spells of ogre strength, nimbleness, and haste.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

It might make things interesting to have spirit type monsters be immune to spells entirely. You'd need an enchanted type weapon attack to be able to hit them.

To really make it interesting (now this is probably book 3) introduce a new type of damage, make it rare, and make it the only thing that can hit a spirit creature. The spell enchant weapon would provide that kind of damage, and it would make the spell much more useful (right now it's kind of why bother compared to other things). You could also make the scroll for enchant weapon difficult to find...

Add some annoying low level spirit creatures that you just need to put up with until you find something to get rid of them with. Some wisp type creature maybe?
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Farwalker wrote:I think fleshboil should work on anything organic: bone, mumified or decaying flesh, wood, even leather - all seems fair game to me.
I'm ok with fleshboil working on zombie (barely), but how do you want to boil flesh that is inexistant ? That is my problem.
If the spell was Wrath of God or Energy Bolt or whatever, I'd be ok. But flesh and boiling for bones or spirits is weird.