Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
michellembrodeur
Initiate

Re: Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Post by michellembrodeur »

I was int he well next to the temple start of the game.

I blow up some barrels and a bit of the chest, 4 kegs and the chest still wouldn't die with a flimsy old lock.

But any way, i rested to repair my mace to hack at the lock/chest.

When i woke up i had a bag of ingredients to loot, but clicking on the bag kept bring up the barrel that i had destroyed. no way to get the bag.

They should be a way to get it. please fix

Also the weapon armour shops should always have arrows for sale.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

michellembrodeur wrote:I blow up some barrels and a bit of the chest, 4 kegs and the chest still wouldn't die with a flimsy old lock.
Note that the phrase "flimsy old lock" only refers to the ease of picking the lock (assuming you have the Pick Locks skill), not the sturdiness of the container itself. Some containers are definitely too sturdy to make powder kegs useful. (One could certainly argue that perhaps you should be able to smash the lock itself, rather than the whole chest... Would make more sense thematically, though that might make lockpicking less lucrative as as skill.)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Something I just noticed - If you go down from Talushorn Level 3 (back to Level 2) by the lowest possible point, like so:
Talushorn, Level 3
Talushorn, Level 3
eb2-talushorn3.png (8.65 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
... you end up actually in the wall on Level 2:
Talushorn, Level 2
Talushorn, Level 2
eb2-talushorn2.png (25.57 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
You can walk right out of it normally, so it doesn't impede the gameplay at all, but probably worth a fix...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, a couple of new things.

First, a number of dialogues finish with an "End" button, but there's no keyboard way to exit - i.e. the "E" in the "End" 'button' isn't underlined (e.g. "End"), so you can't just hit the "E" key to exit; and hitting the Return key doesn't work either. For example:
End-bug.jpg
End-bug.jpg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
Second, is it just me, or is this just wrong (look closely!!):
XP-Bar-bug.jpg
XP-Bar-bug.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

What's wrong with the second one? Going from 7000 to 10000, that bar is in the right place...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

KillingMoon wrote:What's wrong with the second one? Going from 7000 to 10000, that bar is in the right place...
Darn, I wish I could go back now - but I could have sworn when it was at 8003 XP, the XP bar was only a tiny sliver. Oh well, can't prove that now...

And two more!

First, I agree with you, KM - there's something... off about item randomization/Armor Rating/item cost - here's another example:
Sale-Item-bug.jpg
Sale-Item-bug.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
Meanwhile, on the second level of Port K., there's a grid square that I inexplicably can't "enter" (at 33,131) despite the fact that there doesn't appear to be anything in that square:
Pork-K-bad-square.jpg
Pork-K-bad-square.jpg (74.36 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

IJBall wrote:
KillingMoon wrote:What's wrong with the second one? Going from 7000 to 10000, that bar is in the right place...
Darn, I wish I could go back now - but I could have sworn when it was at 8003 XP, the XP bar was only a tiny sliver. Oh well, can't prove that now...

[...]
The XP bar doesn't show your entire xp relative to how much you need for the next level. It just shows you the xp needed for your next level, relative to your last levelup.

I.e. when you got your last level up at 7000, it was a 0%. When you're at 8000 / 10000, it should only be about 33% full, and so on. What's weird about that? Or are we missing something? :|
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:First, I agree with you, KM - there's something... off about item randomization/Armor Rating/item cost - here's another example:
What's off about that example?
Meanwhile, on the second level of Port K., there's a grid square that I inexplicably can't "enter" (at 33,131) despite the fact that there doesn't appear to be anything in that square:
There is something in that square: the flaming torch stand thing.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:First, I agree with you, KM - there's something... off about item randomization/Armor Rating/item cost - here's another example:
What's off about that example?
A Copper Studded Vest shouldn't be Armor Rating=1, I think (if Zulben's book is to be believed!).
And if it were Armor Rating=1, it shouldn't cost 53 GP!

I believe something like a Copper Studded Vest should be Armor Rating=3. That would match something that costs 53 GP.
xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:Meanwhile, on the second level of Port K., there's a grid square that I inexplicably can't "enter" (at 33,131) despite the fact that there doesn't appear to be anything in that square:
There is something in that square: the flaming torch stand thing.
D'oh! I totally missed that! :oops: Good catch xolotl! :)
Rebelicious wrote:
IJBall wrote:Darn, I wish I could go back now - but I could have sworn when it was at 8003 XP, the XP bar was only a tiny sliver. Oh well, can't prove that now...
The XP bar doesn't show your entire xp relative to how much you need for the next level. It just shows you the xp needed for your next level, relative to your last levelup.

I.e. when you got your last level up at 7000, it was a 0%. When you're at 8000 / 10000, it should only be about 33% full, and so on. What's weird about that? Or are we missing something? :|
Yes, I know.

What I'm implying is that when it was at 8003, it wasn't 33% full, but that I think it something like 3% full. But I can't go back and check/prove that.

I'll just have to keep an eye on the XP bar, and make sure it doesn't do anything wonky from here on in...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I just pulled up Big Sal's inventory in my current game, and he has a Copper Studded Vest, also AR 1, in Excellent condition for 69 GP. Seems consistent with your 53 GP one in Good condition. Whether that's REASONABLE or not, well, these vendors will cheat you any way they can, right?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I just pulled up Big Sal's inventory in my current game, and he has a Copper Studded Vest, also AR 1, in Excellent condition for 69 GP. Seems consistent with your 53 GP one in Good condition. Whether that's REASONABLE or not, well, these vendors will cheat you any way they can, right?
Assuming the AR=1 thing is correct, I'm going to go with something being "off" in the pricing formulas then.

But between an AR=1 item costing 69 GP, and KM's Mithril Machete with Base Damage=6 only costing 35 GP, there's definitely something off here...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Yeah, the scaled found items seem to have extremely low prices relative to the stuff you find normally in shops. That machete can be various materials, as I recall, depending on your level when you find it, but the price is always low.

Another oddity I discovered, this time having to do with knowing what to do with an unknown item. I picked up some lock picks in the sewer, but this particular character is too stupid to recognize them (I don't mind a low in on a Cleric, since I have Lore spell to identify stuff, but I hadn't yet gotten to IDing the picks). So when I came upon a locked chest, I found it interesting that I am told that I have picks in my inventory but not the skill to use them. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

I have a request related to items that scale in quality according to player level when you find them.

Currently when you hit the highest material quality that's pretty much the end, but could you perhaps add interesting random bonuses of some kind if you are even higher level?

Ideally the added bonuses would be things the player cannot enchant on an item themself. You could go from max material, to max material + 1 bonus, to max material + 2 bonuses. I'd leave room for the player to add at least one enchantment themself if they want to.

Ideas for bonuses on weapons: reduced weight, armor class bonus, resistance bonus (various kinds), stat bonus (various kinds), skill bonus (for that weapon type, or for other non-weapon skills), health bonus or regen rate, mana bonus or regen rate

Ideas for bonuses on armor: reduced weight, resistance bonus (various kinds), to hit bonus, stat bonus (various kinds), skill bonus (for that armor type of for other non-armor skills), health bonus or regen rate, mana bonus or regen rate

Whatever you might decide to incorporate, it would be fun to be able to find some more interesting stuff along these lines.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

IJBall wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I just pulled up Big Sal's inventory in my current game, and he has a Copper Studded Vest, also AR 1, in Excellent condition for 69 GP. Seems consistent with your 53 GP one in Good condition. Whether that's REASONABLE or not, well, these vendors will cheat you any way they can, right?
Assuming the AR=1 thing is correct, I'm going to go with something being "off" in the pricing formulas then.

But between an AR=1 item costing 69 GP, and KM's Mithril Machete with Base Damage=6 only costing 35 GP, there's definitely something off here...
Keep in mind that items with higher quality materials are also more durable... (obviously this means nothing without the rule enabled, but *shrug*)

There are, I believe a couple of lingering oddities with underpriced items, but I've only run across this once myself.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

When you attack or kill a bronze dragonel over water in Greenriven Lake the blood persists on the water.