buying & selling and other things

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
michellembrodeur
Initiate

buying & selling and other things

Post by michellembrodeur »

First.

Have a buy/sell box, you put in all the items you are selling and all the items you are buying. then pay or receive the difference.

See i have a item worth 5000gp and want to buy a item worth 3000 but I do not have the 300 and the smith does not have the 5000 to buy it.
This would solve the problem.

Also the weapons degrad way way to fast. and bows should not degrad or degrad like really really slow.

And hitting a rat should not break you sword. come on.

you barely start a fight at low levels and you have to run to town to repair your weapons. and no not every one want to get the repair skill and sleep all the time.

Also when sleeping in a bed yours or a inn and you have the repair skill why does it not repair your items.

just some thoughts
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: buying & selling and other things

Post by xolotl »

michellembrodeur wrote:Have a buy/sell box, you put in all the items you are selling and all the items you are buying. then pay or receive the difference.

See i have a item worth 5000gp and want to buy a item worth 3000 but I do not have the 300 and the smith does not have the 5000 to buy it.
This would solve the proble.
Yeah, that's a good idea, though it'd take some restructuring of the engine; I doubt this would ever make it into Book 2. (Perhaps Book 3, though...)
Also the weapons degrad way way to fast. and bows should not degrad or degrad like really really slow.

And hitting a rat should not break you sword. come on.
Hey, rats are pretty close to the ground, you probably hit a rock or something, yeah? Personally I don't think that weapons degrade too quickly. I seem to think that higher skill levels in the weapons help offset degradation, which certainly helps eventually. I'm also pretty sure that Swords are the most fragile of the weapons, generally, so those will always be pretty tough earlier in the game. Personally I just wouldn't play a sword-carrying fighter without a point in Repair. If the degradation bothers you, of course, you can always just turn off that option when you start a new game.
Also when sleeping in a bed yours or a inn and you have the repair skill why does it not repair your items.
Well, you wouldn't want to repair stuff when you're on vacation, yeah? And repair work is dirty, wouldn't want to mess up your own bed, either. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
michellembrodeur wrote:Have a buy/sell box, you put in all the items you are selling and all the items you are buying. then pay or receive the difference.

This would solve the proble.
Yeah, that's a good idea, though it'd take some restructuring of the engine; I doubt this would ever make it into Book 2. (Perhaps Book 3, though...)
Actually, it might not be that hard to implement - just add another button to the purchasing inventory screen:
Purchasing-button.jpg
Purchasing-button.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 15250 times
It can be be a "Bartering/Purchasing" Button - hitting it would bring up another pop-up window with multiple slots that would allow people to put in multiple items for selling and multiple items for purchasing (and would, presumably, display the GP tallies for both).
xolotl wrote:
michellembrodeur wrote:Also when sleeping in a bed yours or a inn and you have the repair skill why does it not repair your items.
Well, you wouldn't want to repair stuff when you're on vacation, yeah? And repair work is dirty, wouldn't want to mess up your own bed, either. :)
I actually agree with Michelle on this one - it has always bugged me that Repair suddenly stops working just because you choose to sleep in your own bed at your own little home... :|
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Fragility of weapons depends on the weapon material. At the start of the game you have really weak materials that wear out quickly. By the middle of the game you are using steel or better quality so they last longer.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:Actually, it might not be that hard to implement - just add another button to the purchasing inventory screen:
Sure, I don't think it'd be hard, but it's enough of a change GUIwise that I'd be fairly surprised to see it released in a Book 2 version. I could certainly be wrong, of course. :)
I actually agree with Michelle on this one - it has always bugged me that Repair suddenly stops working just because you choose to sleep in your own bed at your own little home... :|
I suppose it's the difference between sleeping and camping... Camping may imply that you're up and about doing things around your campsite, whereas if you buy a night at an inn, your intent is just to rest up as much as possible.

Not that I'd be especially bothered if the Repair behavior in such cases ended up getting changed.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:Actually, it might not be that hard to implement - just add another button to the purchasing inventory screen:
Sure, I don't think it'd be hard, but it's enough of a change GUIwise that I'd be fairly surprised to see it released in a Book 2 version...
Nah - I agree with you. I'm not expecting this to be changed in Book II.

I was just pointing out that, from a game design/coding standpoint, it shouldn't be too much of a challenge (for Book III)... ;)
xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:I actually agree with Michelle on this one - it has always bugged me that Repair suddenly stops working just because you choose to sleep in your own bed at your own little home... :|
I suppose it's the difference between sleeping and camping... Camping may imply that you're up and about doing things around your campsite, whereas if you buy a night at an inn, your intent is just to rest up as much as possible.

Not that I'd be especially bothered if the Repair behavior in such cases ended up getting changed.
I'm OK with Repair not working during inn stays.

But, in your own home, with your own tools and supplies "at the ready", I feel Repair should work even when "bed sleeping" - just consider it a "bonus" for being at home in familiar and comforting surroundings! 8)
dot_sent
Initiate

Post by dot_sent »

I'd take another approach for bying/selling - in order not to introduce separate window for barter. I'm also up for making a special button for barter mode as IJBall suggested, but do not pop up special window - just in this mode enable highlighting items when clicking on them to select ones you want to barter for - both from player and merchant sides. Then when player has selected all items he wants to barter he clicks barter mode button again - and deal is finished. If player is in barter mode and decides to cancel deal he could right-click the barter button and deal will be canceled.

Other suggestion is to make barter deals less profitable then usual ones - for example, set sell/buy multipliers to 40%/220% instead of usual 50/200.
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

why not just add the trade option where you can choose something you wanna trade with from your own inventory and choose what you want for it depending on the main value of course and if the shopkeeper if okay whit this trade you get what you want but if not you will have to try something else.
and since we brought this up i don't like the idea of having to sell my stuff for the price of the shopkeeper it would be nice if i can choose my own prices ,for example the keeper offers me 500 gold coins for a sword but i don't like this price and i get this option : you can have it for 650 G he might agree or not, if he doesn't agree to the price you gave him you will not get this option again for this item.
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless