delted 1.03 and installed 1.04. now I walk like light speed.

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
kelticpete
Council Member

delted 1.03 and installed 1.04. now I walk like light speed.

Post by kelticpete »

I walk way way way way too fast.

it is great for filling out maps! I wish I could toggle it off and on!

but the speed is too fast for exploration of new areas. like about 3 to 5 times faster...when I click my mouse to walk pretty far....I am like the flash.

what can I do to fix this?

also, it magically knew I had already registered it. guess it was in my save file. nice. I went and dug out the code prepared for the new 1.04 install.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: delted 1.03 and installed 1.04. now I walk like light sp

Post by IJBall »

kelticpete wrote:I walk way way way way too fast.

it is great for filling out maps! I wish I could toggle it off and on!

but the speed is too fast for exploration of new areas. like about 3 to 5 times faster...when I click my mouse to walk pretty far....I am like the flash.

what can I do to fix this?
Try switching the video 'renderer' (e.g. to(?)/from(?) DirectX) - I think at least one other person on WIN has reported what you are reporting with one of the particular video rendering modes...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Some people complaining about walking speed might not mind this bug...
vodakind
Pledge

Post by vodakind »

:( Same problem here...

1.03 ran fine, with 1.04 sometimes the game will play normally, but most of the time it'll start up in turbo mode (was Basilisk trying to emulate the turbo button from the good 'ole days? :)

I tried Dx 7/9/GL, they all exhibit this problem, tried switching sound modes. Also sometimes the sound disappears after reloading a game or alt-tabbing.

Please help!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

There was a problem (which is probably still present) way back where people who left their computers on for long periods of time would have the walking animation stop working - I wonder if this is some other manifestation of the uptime issue? How long have your machines been running for? Does a reboot fix things up?

(Disclaimer: I don't even run Windows so I'm just guessing)
vodakind
Pledge

Post by vodakind »

xolotl wrote:There was a problem (which is probably still present) way back where people who left their computers on for long periods of time would have the walking animation stop working - I wonder if this is some other manifestation of the uptime issue? How long have your machines been running for? Does a reboot fix things up?

(Disclaimer: I don't even run Windows so I'm just guessing)
Thanks for the reply xolotl. I've tried rebooting my machine, I'm running Win 7 64-bit and it didn't change anything. I managed to load 1 game which ran at normal speed, all others had turbo flying character and time.

I did however pinpoint this problem to only occur when running in full screen mode (with scaling or without), in windowed mode the speed is always fine.

I'm running on GeForce GTX 285 with the latest drivers from Nvidia: 258.96.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Check your driver settings for a vsync off/on option... and turn it on if it isn't already. There were some issues with this in the past with certain video drivers, and it's possible that some newer updates could have messed it up again.

You could also try deleting your eb2.cfg file (in your savegame folder) in which case you'll have to re-enter your serial, and this will make sure there aren't any "system settings" carried over between versions that might have been modified.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

CrazyBernie wrote:Check your driver settings for a vsync off/on option... and turn it on if it isn't already. There were some issues with this in the past with certain video drivers, and it's possible that some newer updates could have messed it up again.
Very good advice. Most nVidia/ATI cards have an option to force-kill your vsync (which makes some games run faster). In the case of Eschalon, if you force the vsync to be ignored, the game runs unhindered at top speed.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
vodakind
Pledge

Post by vodakind »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
CrazyBernie wrote:Check your driver settings for a vsync off/on option... and turn it on if it isn't already. There were some issues with this in the past with certain video drivers, and it's possible that some newer updates could have messed it up again.
Very good advice. Most nVidia/ATI cards have an option to force-kill your vsync (which makes some games run faster). In the case of Eschalon, if you force the vsync to be ignored, the game runs unhindered at top speed.
Ahhh!! That must be the culprit. I always force disable vsync myself, since in most games I prefer higher FPS over some minor tearing I'm not sensitive to...

This works!!! Fixed my problem, I didn't even have to set it to enabled, just: "Use the 3D application setting."

Thanks!! Now I have a way of fast walking whenever I need to make that long journey!! Doubleplusgood! :)