waterskin bug?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
dterror
Initiate

waterskin bug?

Post by dterror »

I am unable to play with the food and drink required option due to being unable to fill any waterskins, whether it be at a well or with the draw water spell. When using a well, it SAYS I filled the skin, but when I check the skin in my inventory it still shows as empty, and I cannot drink from it. Same with the spell, no effect at all on my skins.

This is rather annoying, and I would really like to know if anyone else has encountered this and figured out how to fix it.
dterror
Initiate

Re: waterskin bug?

Post by dterror »

Impulse, and version 1.05
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Or post a saved game here so we can try it out. That would at least let us determine whether it's a problem with the save itself or with your install of the game.
dterror
Initiate

Post by dterror »

In the event the save file I attached doesn't work for some reason:

When i tried with all 4 options marked, the waterskins worked fine. I encountered the problem with the skins when using only "Need Food/Drink" and "Can't Save When etc" are marked, with the other 2 shut off.

Character data:
Name: Digital Terror
Male, Kessian, Druidic, Magic User

Choice of skills or stats made no difference.
Haven't tried a shorter character name to see if that's the issue, but I rather doubt it would matter.

If you look at the skin before filling it, you can see it weighs 3.0 but the "fullness bar" is blank. After "filling" the skin, it changes to 1.0 weight and empty.
Attachments
slot1.rar
(91.4 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
dterror wrote:I encountered the problem with the skins when using only "Need Food/Drink" and "Can't Save When etc" are marked, with the other 2 shut off.
I just tested this and encountered the bug. Version 1.05, downloaded from Basilisk Games.
I just noticed this when starting a new character to eventually explore the 'zoo' and other stuff that had been added. I had turned food/water off. I picked up the waterskin, went tot he well and filled it..well, I thought I did. Script came up that I had but when I went to sell the skin it was empty! I hadn't used it. I was going to check again today before reporting it. I, too, downloaded it from here. Not sure if I can get to it today though, we're celebrating my son's birthday..gah! He just turned 40! Man, I feel old all of a sudden! :(

:wink:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
dterror
Initiate

Post by dterror »

Yay, I don't feel like a crazy noob who's doing something wrong on my own end anymore....posting about a bug that noone had posted about before :D
(Yes, I had done an extensive search on the Impulse and Basilisk forums, and in Google before posting it here)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Absolutely nothing was touched in 1.05 that could account for this. Is everyone sure that this is a 1.05 problem and not a problem that has existed since 1.0?

Currently looking through 1.05 code....this bug looks to be diabolically hidden....
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Oh, um, found it.

Yeah, if anyone has an old version installed you should be able to verify it- this bug probably goes waaay back.

It works like this: If you DON'T have the equipment wear rule turned on then all items are generated with a MaxCondition of "0" (zero). This is the system's way of knowing that an item is undamageable. When a waterskin is created, and the equipment wear rule is off, it makes the Waterskin have a zero MaxCondition. Well, a waterskin's condition is a measure of how full it is, since waterskins never actually wear out in any other way.

So, when you fill up at a well, the function applied to the waterskin is: CurrentCondition = MaxCondition. See the problem? :? :P
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yeah, if anyone has an old version installed you should be able to verify it- this bug probably goes waaay back.
Heh, was about to report that I had found that, too. Actually on my 1.04, this doesn't happen; I wonder if it's related to this fix from the 1.05 changelog:
Fixed: Certain items no longer show as needing repaired even if game is set for "no deterioration of equipment".
Anyway, there you go. :) Anyone with a "broken" waterskin who wants to fix it should be able to use my editor to do so, btw; just set the max condition up to 10.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Ah, but wait!

This bug probably only applies to the ORIGINAL waterskin that you find in your house. I believe that waterskins found randomly, or at merchants, will not be affected by this bug.

This is because items that I generate forcefully, such as the waterskin in your house, have the wear rule applied differently than one that comes up via the generate miscellaneous item function.

A workaround may be to find a waterskin at a merchant and use it.

Anyway, yes, xolotl's editor can fix the problem and is a suitable workaround as well.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:Not sure if I can get to it today though, we're celebrating my son's birthday..gah! He just turned 40!
Looks like you won't have to. :P Did you have a good time with your son?
:) yes. Though he did get a bit miffed at the Mirror Rubic's Cube I gave him I got from ThinkGeek store. :) (all surfaces are mirrors and different sizes) He liked the computer chair and 2 tshirts. One is a replacement shirt with Milkyway on front with pointer and "You are Here" words. The other was "I'm with the genius" and arrow points up to wearers head. :mrgreen:

And I discovered that waterskins found elsewhere did fill up as BW mentioned above, just not the house one. I don't care so I'm not complaining about it. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
AJM
Initiate

Post by AJM »

Please excuse the thread necromancy, but I just wanted to point out that this bug still exists (playing on Mac, have Food & Water turned on, have Equipment Wear turned off).

So is the waterskin you get at your house going to be fixed?

Edit
Actually, this begs the question about where to get a new waterskin. The shops at Eastwillow aren't selling any.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

AJM wrote:Edit
Actually, this begs the question about where to get a new waterskin. The shops at Eastwillow aren't selling any.
Water skins appear randomly in the general merchant shops and as loot. I think it turned out that whatever was causing the trouble with the skin you start with in your house would have required more to fix than reasonably possible, especially when the (relatively) simple fix of picking up a different skin takes care of it. I may be wrong, though.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I'd have to dig through the latest code (which I don't have in front of me), but I am 100% sure this was fixed in the latest version. What version # are you playing, @AJM?

Also, I don't want this bug to ruin anyone's game, so if anyone is experiencing this and needs a quick fix, PM me.
AJM
Initiate

Post by AJM »

I have version 1.05 beta 2 for Mac.

Now, I downloaded this from the Download.com mirror. I suppose I should try downloading the locally hosted file. Edit No I can't. I get 404 when I try to click the link http://basiliskgames.com/misc/eb2_105_r ... book_2.dmg.