Couple of 1.05 bugs spotted.

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Unkillable Cat
Initiate

Couple of 1.05 bugs spotted.

Post by Unkillable Cat »

Hi, I'm enjoying a run through the latest version of Book 2. Everything looks and feels good so far, but I thought I should point out a couple of minor bugs I've noticed.

# In the map with the Ironpool Dam, I've had two instances where Black Molds froze in place, so to say. They completely stop moving and do nothing. What's worse, I can't interact with them in any way. Can't attack them, target them, nothing works. Fortunately, this problem fixes itself if I leave and re-enter the map.

# In the map directly north of the Ironpool Dam (Kessian Basin?) I tried to disarm and unlock the chest on the west side of the map, at nighttime and with a thunderstorm going on. When the window animations for the trap and the lock play under these circumstances, the game slows down considerably. I *think* that the spell Gravedigger's Flame was active at the time, at least I had been using it.

(Actually, the first time this slowdown occurred it locked up my computer, but that was because I had been running all kinds of other applications before running Eschalon. After a fresh reboot and re-attempt, I only experienced the slowdown.)

I've played previous versions of the game, and neither case came up in older versions. I uninstalled V1.04 before installing V1.05. I'm using a WinXP (SP3) system that's well above the minimum requirements for the game.

If I spot any other bugs (besides those giant beetles in the woods, of course) I'll let you know. Keep up the good work! :)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Couple of 1.05 bugs spotted.

Post by Randomizer »

Unkillable Cat wrote:# In the map with the Ironpool Dam, I've had two instances where Black Molds froze in place, so to say. They completely stop moving and do nothing. What's worse, I can't interact with them in any way. Can't attack them, target them, nothing works. Fortunately, this problem fixes itself if I leave and re-enter the map.
This is an old bug and can also occur with the brimstone spiders. Save and reload also works for unfreezing them.
dterror
Initiate

Post by dterror »

I've had the same frozen mob bug happen with a few creatures, but they always seem to unfreeze when I finally decide to ignore them and try to walk past :P
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I found this in the Mac version.

If you go into Options and turn all 4 volume options to 0%, then level up, the sounds all return to default levels even though the options show 0%. You have to raise and lower all 4 again to turn off the sounds. I think some other things will trigger this too.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else or if it's me and my Mac, but I created a new character to build up and play the updated content, and I've discovered an odd happening. My new character is primarily an archer, and I've discovered that on occasion, when I use Focus Feat, I cannot get the character to move the next round. I can turn in place, but not take a step as if the shift key were still held down. I have so far only been able to get rid of this by passing a turn (which you can understand in some circumstances is not very convenient).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I don't know if this has happened to anyone else or if it's me and my Mac, but I created a new character to build up and play the updated content, and I've discovered an odd happening. My new character is primarily an archer, and I've discovered that on occasion, when I use Focus Feat, I cannot get the character to move the next round. I can turn in place, but not take a step as if the shift key were still held down. I have so far only been able to get rid of this by passing a turn (which you can understand in some circumstances is not very convenient).
OK, this is interesting.

It may not sound like it, but I think what you're reporting here is similar to the two bugs I reported here.

It sounds like these things are related - somehow, the game application is not "un-sticky-ing" keys after certain events.

What's weird is I don't think people were seeing this prior to v1.05, so it's definitely something that's cropped up due to the v1.05 revisions.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I thought it was only me. The focus fury feat for unarmed combat will freeze my character in place, but using the escape key to go in and then out of menu allows me to move without losing a turn.

I haven't tried it with an older character created under v1.04.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

As I noted in IJBall's other topic on other times when something like this occurs, it's not every time. I'll remember the Esc way to clear it for future. Passing a turn most of the time as an archer isn't a terrible thing, as I like to wait for four turns to pass to get my feat back. It's just inconvenient if I'm being mobbed. :)

And, another oddity I've noticed that maybe I just didn't notice in the past, but now when I kill shadow assassins, a cloud appears around my character. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Mod.
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mod. »

Weather sounds sticking still happens if you rest at home or in an inn while the storm starts and stops during that time.
Fixed: Several NPC portraits and sounds were incorrect.
I noticed on one of my saves that Edwin still has a female sound. The save was created before the update; is that why he still has that sound?

Updated: New Screen Capture function works almost everywhere inside the game.
Could not take screenshot while reading a book (for grammar/spelling errors).
Nikrel_Antares
Pledge

Post by Nikrel_Antares »

Hello.

I thought to submit a couple of possible bugs that I've noticed.

I started a new character with this 1.05 and decided to try to play the game through with the true ranger challenge, so the character is a ranger type.

I.) When using a lantern, the character CAN shoot with any bow. Not possible with torches. Though the game says the 'You are using a two handed weapon blaablaa' but still the lantern stays in the characters hands and lit's everything, making things visible to shoot. Noticed this by accident, and have exploited this mainly by accident -> have the lantern equipped, and an enemy comes and the shoot reflex comes automatically. This isn't a big issue after learning gravediggers flame and cats eyes, but in the early parts of the game it's kind of cheating I guess..

II.) Money issue with trainers who allso sell goods, like gilgamen and some of the port kudaad people. When buing/selling goods their money increases/decreases as is supposed to. But when I get some training, their money DOES NOT increase. This actually was a bit of issue when I tried to sell some of the expensive (and useless to my character) gear that was found from fathamurk and westwillow. Gilgamen didn't have enough money to buy, so I thought to 'give' him the missing money to buy some of the goods by training a couple levels in repair. But whadda you know? He didn't have any more money after that. I tried the same thing with the alchemy and magic women in Port Kudaad. Allso, the same thing.

and in some earlier version I found this strange object, don't remember it's name now, but anyways, you could duplicate it as many times as you wanted and then sell the duplicates and get money infinitely.. But once after loading a saved game, the quantity had jumped to a very high number, and the character came overencumbered and couldn't move, and when I threw the object away, it took like 10-15 minutes in real world time to drop every single one of them! Haven't found it with this new character in 1.05..

Using Win 7 and 1.05 allso I'm new to the board, haven't had the time to read all the zillion posts, so I apologise if these issues have allready been mentioned. And the usual 'sorry for my english clishe' ;)

And as a sidenote, I hate Nvidia now :D I had to downgrade display drivers to some two years old vista drivers to get the aspect ratio scaling to work again, as my monitor doesn't support 4:3. How about resolution and aspect selection with 4:3 & black bars in book III ? :D

edit:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing. This propably isn't a bug but anyways, Directdraw 7 & 9 as a renderer produces sluggish movement throughout the game, using OpenGl works fine. Shoudln't be an issue with hardware not beeing able run the game I think dd problem either in my setup or in the game. Had the same problems with book I in Win Xp on this same hardware configuration some year ago.
dot_sent
Initiate

Post by dot_sent »

Nikrel_Antares wrote:Hello.

I thought to submit a couple of possible bugs that I've noticed.

I started a new character with this 1.05 and decided to try to play the game through with the true ranger challenge, so the character is a ranger type.

I.) When using a lantern, the character CAN shoot with any bow. Not possible with torches. Though the game says the 'You are using a two handed weapon blaablaa' but still the lantern stays in the characters hands and lit's everything, making things visible to shoot. Noticed this by accident, and have exploited this mainly by accident -> have the lantern equipped, and an enemy comes and the shoot reflex comes automatically. This isn't a big issue after learning gravediggers flame and cats eyes, but in the early parts of the game it's kind of cheating I guess..

II.) Money issue with trainers who allso sell goods, like gilgamen and some of the port kudaad people. When buing/selling goods their money increases/decreases as is supposed to. But when I get some training, their money DOES NOT increase. This actually was a bit of issue when I tried to sell some of the expensive (and useless to my character) gear that was found from fathamurk and westwillow. Gilgamen didn't have enough money to buy, so I thought to 'give' him the missing money to buy some of the goods by training a couple levels in repair. But whadda you know? He didn't have any more money after that. I tried the same thing with the alchemy and magic women in Port Kudaad. Allso, the same thing.

and in some earlier version I found this strange object, don't remember it's name now, but anyways, you could duplicate it as many times as you wanted and then sell the duplicates and get money infinitely.. But once after loading a saved game, the quantity had jumped to a very high number, and the character came overencumbered and couldn't move, and when I threw the object away, it took like 10-15 minutes in real world time to drop every single one of them! Haven't found it with this new character in 1.05..

Using Win 7 and 1.05 allso I'm new to the board, haven't had the time to read all the zillion posts, so I apologise if these issues have allready been mentioned. And the usual 'sorry for my english clishe' ;)

And as a sidenote, I hate Nvidia now :D I had to downgrade display drivers to some two years old vista drivers to get the aspect ratio scaling to work again, as my monitor doesn't support 4:3. How about resolution and aspect selection with 4:3 & black bars in book III ? :D

edit:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing. This propably isn't a bug but anyways, Directdraw 7 & 9 as a renderer produces sluggish movement throughout the game, using OpenGl works fine. Shoudln't be an issue with hardware not beeing able run the game I think dd problem either in my setup or in the game. Had the same problems with book I in Win Xp on this same hardware configuration some year ago.
I do confirm the money issue with traders. When I first discovered this I imagined that all money gained from training they keep in separate storages and do not use them for trading :)

Regarding the "strange object" - do a quick search on "Widget" on this forum - you'll find a lot of info, like this.
Nikrel_Antares
Pledge

Post by Nikrel_Antares »

dot_sent wrote: I do confirm the money issue with traders. When I first discovered this I imagined that all money gained from training they keep in separate storages and do not use them for trading :)
Nice to know that it isn't just me :)
dot_sent wrote: Regarding the "strange object" - do a quick search on "Widget" on this forum - you'll find a lot of info, like this.
Ok thanks! Could have not done the search because I didn't remember the name of the object. So if I read posts correctly, it isn't there anymore in 1.05.
Oh and it wasn't, I have been to the arctic cabin.