Westwillow Dungeon Access Disappears?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
smurlin
Pledge

Westwillow Dungeon Access Disappears?

Post by smurlin »

Hi -

I got the conversation option with Brudo early in the game and started exploring the dungeon below Ironpool Dam after he opened the door to it. However, I turned around shortly after meeting the skeleton archers and went adventuring elsewhere for awhile.

I just came back to finish that dungeon but the door to it at the Dam is now closed. I can't get the dialog option to come up with Brudo again. I even tried talking to Munis again first but that didn't help.

Also, kind of weird, all the area on the map I had previously explored was all blank as if I hadn't been there before - both above ground and below the dam where Brudo is.

Is this a bug or can you not get back into the dungeon after leaving it?!

Thanks,
Smurlin
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Westwillow Dungeon Access Disappears?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This map has been reset to its default state. You have either deleted the previously explored map or altered a saved game in some way. However, Bruno's dialog tree has already been triggered, so he will not give you the option to reopen the door.

If you didn't alter the game yourself, then yes it is a bug- though not one that anyone else has ever reported; we've never been told that a map has spontaneously reset itself.

The only fix I can think of is to use a map editor and place yourself on the other size of the portcullis.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Yes, this happened to me also. All my maps reset themselves and I did nothing to cause it. BW, I did mention this in a post some time ago but as it was early enough in the game I didn't mind just starting again and it has never happened again.
smurlin
Pledge

Post by smurlin »

Well, I definitely did not alter the game in any way. I've just been playing normally (on the pc with the latest version).

Is there anything I should be aware of if I wanted to use a map editor to place myself in there? Might something else break?

I'm about 10 hours into the game and don't really want to have to restart...
theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Have had a similar problem; same beginning, where I triggered, got in, retreated when skeletons were too strong for me. Even though the door to the dam is open, it just crashes/shuts down my game instantly when I try to enter from Greenriven Lake map. I've done this at least half a dozen times now. I've had a few corrupt maps, or disappearing npc's, and many corrupt saves, where I try to save, and first get an error dialog box, then red font in the saves box saying the folder isn't there. I've done nothing to alter a damned thing, except when trying to reset the maps that have been corrupt. This is the Steam version of the game, and I tell you, I'm getting extremely agitated. I've bought Book 1 and 2 three times apiece; would really love to actually finish Book 2. for my money, before 3 drops...

The fix that did work once (map reset) no longer works.
:x
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

--Unknown (though sometimes contributed to Jonathan Davis, for some reason)