Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.06: LIST Form

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
IJBall
Major
Major

Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.06: LIST Form

Post by IJBall »

This has been a long, long time coming, but here's my attempt at a "comprehensive" list of bugs in Eschalon: Book II, as of v1.05 (the "Fathamurk expansion" version of Book II).

I'm not sure whether, or not, this list of "bugs" (or even "suggestions" - see below) is complete - if anything's missing, just post up here, or let me know.

I have now had a chance to confirm whether a number of the bugs are still "present" in v1.05 in a recent playthrough, though I wasn't able to confirm all of them.

This list is "frozen" as of about Dec. 5, 2011, as per request by BW.

Anyway, here's what I have for post-v1.05 bugs:

NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-ENGINE:
  • Problems with game app leaving keys, including the CTRL key (only?, or and the SHIFT key too?...), as "sticky-ed" - seen with spell casting (both offensive and non-combat spells), Feats, mixing reagents for Potions, and keyboard-navigating dialogue boxes (not seen previous to v1.05) (reported: A Couple of Minor Bugs, As Of v1.05 thread, and Couple of 1.05 bugs spotted. thread)
  • Likely related to the above? - Typing Savefile 'names' into slots in the 'Save window' is now more difficult - again, it seems like keys (all keys??) are "sticking" and/or keystrokes are not being detected by the Book II game app (not seen previous to v1.05) (see: here)
  • Possibly related to the above? - Hitting the ESC key to wake from camping will also bring up the popup Game Menu a significant amount of the time (not seen previous to v1.05) (reported: A Couple of Minor Bugs, As Of v1.05 thread, and here)
  • Strange "mob swarm" beyond edge of map in some instances (reported: Now this is a new bug... thread)
  • Now can't take screenshots (via "P" key) of the final Game Score screen (could in v1.04) (reported: Can't find end of game score screen shot thread)
  • Related to above: still can't take screenshots (via "P" key) when reading a book (reported: Couple of 1.05 bugs spotted. thread)
  • Possible issue with slowdown of Disarm Trap/Pick Lock animations during nighttime storms (and when Gravedigger's Flame spell is cast?) (reported: Couple of 1.05 bugs spotted. thread)
  • Still occasional 'glitch' in which dungeon corners have a square black "hole" in the corner (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Final score screen with "too many challenges met" display bug (see, for example, Completion score, place them here! thread)
  • Problem with French(only?...) keyboards, Linux, and an inability to preset Quick-Set Spells because the game app won't recognize the number keys (reported: Not able to set quick spell under Linux thread)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-GUI:
  • None (at least, none that we're likely to see before Book III!!...)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-SOUNDS:
  • Related to below(?): Problems with sound levels being set to "0%" suddenly going to "100%" after switching to another app and then coming back. Quick-travelling may also mess up sound settings. (reported: the Crazy Un-Called-for Sound Encore BUG, MAN!!! thread)
  • Related to above(?): If you turn all 4 volume options to 0%, then Level-Up, the sounds all return to default levels even though the options show 0%. (reported: here)
  • Storm sounds still not ending under some circumstances (e.g. if storm ends at dawn?...) issue (reported: Couple of 1.05 bugs spotted. thread)
  • Westwillow sound 'glitch' - I hear it soon after entering Westwillow, around X=79,Y=93 (and, rarely, at other times): I have come to believe the 'glitch' is in the waterfall sound file! (reported: here)
  • Combat Sound FX 'glitch' (for one of your character's (and Mobs') 'Hit!' sounds) - sound file "corrupted"(?!) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread - I'm still occasionally getting this in my latest v1.05 playthrough)
  • (FIXED! with v1.05 - Good news? Hunter's combat grunts are now female, so this was fixed with v1.05!)
  • Bad news?! Becka's combat grunts are still male instead of female! and Edwin's are female instead of male!! - it could be that Becka's and Edwin's combat sounds are simply 'switched' (reported: see here, and here - confirmed that Becka's and Edwin's grunts are gender-incorrect in latest v1.05 playthrough)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-MAP ISSUES:
  • Check the number of maps that are set to 'No Camping Spawns' to make sure they are correct - i.e. there seem to be a number of maps in Book II that are set to 'No Camping Spawns' that should instead be set to 'Camping Spawns: Yes' (e.g. Port Kuudad sewers, Farrock Caves Level 1, Raven's Gate East, etc.) (see: Complete List of Camp Encounters thread)
  • Check the number of maps that are set to 'Magic Damping Field/No Portal Spell Use' (e.g. can't use Portal Spell in them) to make sure they are correct - i.e. there seem to be too many Book II maps set to 'Magic Damping/No Portal Spell Use' that should instead allow for the use of the Portal Spell (e.g. Southern Kessian Basin, The Convent's Well, etc.)) (see: Complete List of Portal Allowed Locations thread)
  • There is a painting in Anwick's place (X=84,Y=102) that is un-highlightable
  • (FIXED! with v1.05: 'blocked' grids in 'trap area' of Port Kuudad Sewers just outside of Thieves' Arcadia entrance, and X=41,Y=124 of Talushorn exterior, have been "unblocked" - Yay!! :) )
  • "Blocked" grid-square (i.e. can't enter): Hammerlorne, Level 2 at X=23,Y=115(?)
  • Hammerlorne, Level 3 - Devilmander chamber - you can still walk directly through the closed right gate, north-side lever of "Devilmander chamber" (Grid: X=41,Y=133) (see: Fixes for 1.05 thread, specifically this post - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough)
  • There are... Taurax graves(?) at coordinates X=79,Y=124 and X=80,Y=126 of the Talushorn map, grids that you can walk through (but shouldn't be able to?...), that I don't recall being there in v1.04, - are they supposed to be there?
  • NO weather presets for the 'East Raven's Gate' map (i.e. map set to neither "regular" weather nor "winter" weather) - "winter" weather should probably be set to "On" in E Raven's Gate (reported here, below)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-GAME PLAY-GENERAL:
  • Waterskin bug: Can't refill original waterskin in home if certain game options are chosen at game's start (reported: here)
  • Resistances are supposed to 'cap out' at a 99% maximum, but either casting an Element Armor spell or drinking a Potion of Greater Protection will still raise Elemental Resistance *over* 100% (reported: here and here)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-GAME PLAY-SKILLS:
  • Issue with Hide in Shadows being "broken" by discovery, and never regenerating! (at least, in Hammerlorne) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • (FIXED! with v1.05: Repair skill no longer "over-repairing" items to 1 GP over their normal item price)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-GAME PLAY-COMBAT:
  • Unsure if 'bug' still "present": Mobs' death by poison correctly grants XP to player, but Mobs' death by lava trap does not (reported here(?))
  • There seems to be a problem with the 'Double Strike' Feat, at least as far as Critical Hit assessments go (though there may also be an issue with 'Double Feats' not "guaranteed-hitting" as other Feats do) (discussed Double Strike Broken? thread)

Exploits:
  • Exploit: The Plasma Wand is considered "Unarmed Combat" in terms of 'Feats', allowing the player to do 4x damage with the Plasma Wand! (I'd say this is an 'exploit'!) (reported: this post in the Best Weapons / Armor EVER thread - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough: I killed Gen. Ghorr in just 3-4 hits this way!!)
  • Exploit: Bow-using characters can still shoot with a bow even when a Lantern is equipped in the Shield spot!- but exploit only possible after combat is initiated (reported: here)
  • Exploit: Can use torches(!) and shields(!!) while wielding "two-handed" weapons (reported: here - confirmed that bug still present in v1.05)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-GAME PLAY-ITEMS:
  • A few types of Rings (e.g. Mystic Rings, others(?)) are still wearably "stackable", and should not be (reported: here - I haven't been able to confirm this one yet...)
  • MINOR: Empty Flasks display: "Right-click to DRINK." descriptor - should be "Right-click to USE." (or, possibly, "Right-click to MIX.")
  • MINOR: Chronometer display: Still gives NO "Right-click to USE." descriptor (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • MINOR: Item Maps display No "Right-click to READ." descriptor like other "readable" items do.
  • MINOR: The "Strange Note" has a "Right-click to USE." descriptor - should be "Right-click to READ."
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.06-GAME PLAY-MISC:
  • When you kill a Shadow Assassin the 'puff of smoke' appears over your character, not where the Assassin fell! (reported: here - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough)
  • Related to the above(?): When Mayor Theotus of Westwillow casts his Fleshboil spell against The Prospector, the Fleshboil "poof/smoke" sometimes appears in the grid-square in which The Prospector last appeared rather than in the grid-square in which The Prospector is presently in (seen in my latest v1.05 playthrough)
  • Buying a Skill like Alchemy or a Magick from a vendor does NOT get added to that vendor's money supply like buying an item or a scroll does! (reported: here - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough)
  • You can "Quick Travel" weather into Raven's Gate East, even though the Raven's Gate East map actually has no weather 'preset' (see: Fixes for 1.05 thread, specifically starting here - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough)
  • NO key to Security Door on Level 3 of Hammerlorne (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • WARNING! - SPOILERS!!... If you kill Korren in the Crius Vindica hideout, but then use the Spyglass at game's end, Korren will still appear anyway! (Also, Korren is much easier to kill in the hideout than he is at game's end...) (reported to me via PM - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough: I have some thoughts about this (see below...))
  • If you kill the Sentinel Stalk east of Everdale before talking to Travet the innkeeper in Everdale, you are no longer given the option to complete the "Bath House weed" quest (reported: Weed in the Bathhouse quest thread - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough)
SUGGESTIONS for v1.06:
  • MINOR: The dialogue routine with Gammen could be improved (e.g. dialogue should not default back to the first screen every time, but to the second screen (the one whose first option is "Keebo and Brelinda are at odds...")

older, pre-v1.05 suggestions:
  • Pricing re: recipes (mentioned in Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Fellpine Forest map issues (discussed: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Make armor with Elemental resistance themselves resistant to fire/lava as well
  • Cartography suggestions: Give (open) barrels their own unique Cartography color again, as in Book I. Ditto the walls (i.e. sides) of caves (e.g. Farrock caves). Make torch-stands and lamp-posts 'orange' dots just like wall-torches. Make up/down stairs a more uniquely distinguishable feature (what color tho?...).
  • Add more purchasable Arrows (esp. "regular" Arrows?...) to the 'endgame' (e.g. the blacksmith at Picaroon Isle)
GRAMMAR/TYPO ISSUES (selected):
  • Text report order issue with trapped empty chest in Thieves' Arcadia - you are told it is "Empty, yet trapped!..." before you even open it!! (and "...thieve's…" is spelled wrong (reported: in Fixes for 1.05 thread, specifically this post - confirmed that bug still present in latest v1.05 playthrough)
  • Just a few more spelling/grammer issues - e.g. a few Fathamurk errors (reported: Grammatical Errors - Part Six)
  • Also, half the populace of Port K. still have non-gender-neutral descriptors! :P - should say, "This person does not make eye contact when you attempt to greet them..." (or "This person does not make eye contact when you attempt a greeting...") (reported: Grammatical Errors - Part Six)
  • The word "through" is misspelled "throught" in one of Brudo's dialogue screens - see dare49devil's post (and accompanying screenshot) on this in this thread, below
  • Book II Player's Manual, p. 15: In "Weapons, Swords" - the words "Masterful Reposte" are *not* bolded as the other 'Feats' on that page are...
  • Book II Player's Manual - most of the post-pg. 17 (i.e. starting on page 18) typos and grammar mistakes are still present (reported: starting here)
  • Typos/grammatical errors in a few of the Spell descriptions (reported: Grammatical Errors - Part 5 thread)
Bugs - UNCERTAIN STATUS:
  • "Return to Korren" quest (still?) not given after obtaining the Crux of Fire if you skip (or kill) the Sparrow part of the main Quest-line (reported: got Crux of fire but Korren still ask me to for it thread (v1.02), and Why doesn't Korren recognize the Crux of Fire?? thread (v1.03))
  • Can't sell a stack of unidentified items - the 'Number Slider' won't even pop up (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Sometimes Combat Modes 'button' will "stick" (i.e. not work), and player will be unable to switch Combat Modes (reported, starting here)

Exploits:
  • Exploit: Clicking on a recipe that uses an unidentified reagent allows you to use that reagent anyway, despite not knowing what it is! (reported here)
  • Exploit: Issue with hitting the Space Bar (or the mouse button) in very quick succession passing a player 'multiple turns within a regular game turn' - e.g. allowing exploitably fast regeneration of MP's, and exploitably fast overcoming of Boreheads' 'stun' spell(?) (but issue may only seen with magic-using characters?) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
BUGS PREVIOUS TO v1.05 (that are likely "unfixable" with the current Book II engine...):
  • Exploit: Character creation "buy/sell" Skills allows >5 levels (if Axiom/Title is switched during character creation process) (reported: Tiny bug on character creation? --> Skill raising thread)
  • Can't highlight Sparrow's & Gammen's (among others'...) 'loot sacks' under certain 'drop' conditions - i.e. when 'loot sacks' drop behind wall-torches, wall-paintings or store-signs, etc. (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Issue with previously identified items becoming unidentified if you auto-stack them out of a container (e.g. a chest) with unidentified versions of the same into your inventory (reported here, below)
  • Issue with item-types "once ID'ed" (e.g. by merchant) not staying ID'ed (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread, and here (below))
  • Some dialogues can't be End-ed via keyboard (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Can't "Parry" (in 'Parry' Combat Mode) with Unarmed Combat (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Forced "Feat" (opening) attack on (friendly) NPCs (i.e. no other choice); no choice for "Feat" attack on objects (see, for example, this post in the What's missing?? thread)
  • NO auto-stacking when items bought from vendors (also, items sold to vendor don't auto-stack on vendor side either!) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Thrown Weapons ToHit calc. and Demon Oil? (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Imbuing multiple Thrown Items issue (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • "Off-screen" mobs (and can't be hit!) (Linux-only?) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • 'Ghosting' issue when Grid brought up (via TAB-key) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Increase the duration of the Reveal Map spell to a *flat* 100 or 160 Turns, rather than making the spell's duration dependent on level-cast-at
  • Magick Damage (from Bows) "failing" True Ranger challenge (reported: Possible bugs and suggestions thread - see #1 in first post)
Last edited by IJBall on November 19th, 2012, 5:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.06: LIST Form

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

IJBall: Thank you for this list. I cannot express enough to you how helpful it is to have these issues itemized for me.

As of December 1, I would like this list "frozen" so I can begin work on it. I also have to cross reference the Book III code base because I am unsure how many of these bugs are still present in the third generation engine.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:IJBall: Thank you for this list. I cannot express enough to you how helpful it is to have these issues itemized for me.

As of December 1, I would like this list "frozen" so I can begin work on it. I also have to cross reference the Book III code base because I am unsure how many of these bugs are still present in the third generation engine.
Sure thing. :)

Just note that I plan to revise this list shortly - I am in the middle of a Book II playthrough (I'm about up to Lorewitch, so I'm about 2/3 of the way through...) - and it may be a little after Dec. 1 before I "revise, and then freeze" it.

But I'm double-checking through this list, and finding that some of the bugs listed above have been fixed as of v1.05, while several others have not been.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Yeah, BW - give me through the weekend, before we "freeze" this. I think I can finish up my current playthrough by Sunday.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

IJBall wrote:Yeah, BW - give me through the weekend, before we "freeze" this. I think I can finish up my current playthrough by Sunday.
No problem. In fact, looking at the schedule, it may be after Xmas before I return to Book II and make these fixes. I was hoping to start on it next week, but alas, other priorities have come up.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Updated the list: added a new section (Sounds), and shifted several items to the Map Issues section.

OK, some thoughts:
  1. Most of the remaining bugs, outside of the "key sticking" (Engine) bug seem pretty minor (and easily fixable?...) at this point.

However, there are probably two "quest-related" exceptions (NOTE: Plot SPOILERS!! contained within the following!!!), that will require more work to fix:
  2. Killing Korren in the Crius Vindica hideout, and then still being able to summon him at the end of the game is a pretty big goof-up. There are several potential ways to handle this:
    1. The easiest way to handle this is to simply disallow attacks on Korren (and Erubor) in the Crius Vindica - attempting to attack would simply yield a "You can't attack this person - they are an important ally in your vital current quest!" message/prompt in the narrative text-box. This would totally prevent the player from killing Korren, allowing the end-game plotline to play out as it should.
    2. You are allowed to kill Korren, but doing so immediately ends a Book II game at this point, with some accompanying narration that, because you killed Korren, you were never able to reach Talushorn, and The One was victorious in his plans!
    3. The hardest option: You are allowed to kill Korren, and you're allowed to proceed to the end-game, but nothing happens when the player attempts to summon Korren with the looking glass. This would lead a totally different end-game text narration, and would be a lot of extra work for BW, so I'm guessing this is the least attractive option for BW.
  3. Failing to trigger "The Return To Korren" quest. The problem with this one is that I'm uncertain how to trigger it myself, and have never reproduced it.

I'm unsure if this bug crops up if you, 1) fail to kill Sparrow, and take the key from Durnore instead, or 2) if you simply pick the lock into Hammerlorne and never get either Hammerlorne key.

Bottom line: Once you get the Crux of Fire, that should automatically trigger the "Return To Korren quest" regardless of what previous quest conditions have been met at that point.

I think doing this should eliminate the problems some people have been having with not triggering the "Return To Korren quest", and then having the problem of Korren never inquiring about the Crux of Fire being in your possession once your return to the Crius Vindica hideout.
Anyway, besides these, the only still kind of substantive 'bugs' left is the problem with the Travet quest, a few of the 'map issues' (especially the Camping and No Portal spell issues), maybe the 'waterskin bug', and definitely this 'key sticking' issue that's cropped up just since v1.05.

I think we can consider this bug list now "frozen", until BW tells me otherwise.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I know I said this 'bugs' list was "frozen", but I just noticed this thread topic in the Linux forum, so I added this bug to the list (in the "Engine" section). (P.S. This bug may also affect Book I as well...)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, I know this list is supposed to be "frozen", but this issues brought up in the Double Strike Broken? thread were serious enough that I thought this potential bug warranted inclusion in the Book II 'bugs' list - so it was added under the "Combat" bugs section.

Aside from that, a few very minor edits were made to the list (and no other new entries were added).
Cypress
Apprentice

Post by Cypress »

Just a couple more bugs. I don't know if they have been mentioned before, but here goes:

If you have more then one Citizen's Writ on you, you can't separate them with right-click. You can't pick just one of them and throw it in a barrel or chest and keep the other two.

C+R and wait a couple of seconds, press ESC. Repeat for about six times and you'll notice that sometimes, after pressing ESC to come out of resting, the Menu appears on the screen. This only happens sometimes and only in version 1.05. In 1.03 it worked just fine.
One does not simply walk into Fathamurk...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I've had the menu come up when coming out of camping forever. It's an odd glitch, but I always put it down to a sticking key or something.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Cypress wrote:Just a couple more bugs. I don't know if they have been mentioned before, but here goes:

...C+R and wait a couple of seconds, press ESC. Repeat for about six times and you'll notice that sometimes, after pressing ESC to come out of resting, the Menu appears on the screen. This only happens sometimes and only in version 1.05. In 1.03 it worked just fine.
Uh...
From the 'bugs' list... wrote:
  • Possibly related to the above? - Hitting the ESC key to wake from camping will also bring up the popup Game Menu a significant amount of the time (not seen previous to v1.05) (reported: A Couple of Minor Bugs, As Of v1.05 thread, and here)
So, yeah, it's in there. :wink:

It appears that it's actually part of a much larger problem, I think, that cropped up just with v1.05 of Book II - there are multiple related 'bug' issues in the list, and they all seem to relate to 'key sticking' or 'key strokes not being detected by the game app' issues.

So something happened with v1.05 - my theory is that "fixing" one of the v1.04 bugs directly led to these v1.05 keystroke issues...
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Typo! =/

-Screenshot.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Oops terrain! =P
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

dare49devil wrote:-Oops terrain! =P
I think others have commented on this one before (and it may not be the only terrain "oops!" like that on the maps in vicinity of Broken Blade, IIRC...).

But your Brudo typo above is a good one - I'll try to remember to add that to the typos part of the Bugs List soon...
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

I doubt that there's any point now to me mentioning this, but i've noticed that you can't switch combat modes when there's a stunned enemy nearby, as if stunning anything at all disables certain character functions. Basically, i used sonic blast to stun someone and found myself unable to switch modes. It's not a mode restriction either, since you can switch to a different mode before stunning just fine, and it'll stay in the selected mode afterwards.