Game Breaking Bug: Kill Sparrow Before The Secret Society

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Corlain
Apprentice

Game Breaking Bug: Kill Sparrow Before The Secret Society

Post by Corlain »

This bug is 100% reproducible. I have provided two save games from my playthrough of Book II 1.05. Slot 2 is the game where Sparrow has NOT been killed. The dialogue options work just fine and one can get the Crux of Fire quest.

Slot 3 is where Sparrow HAS BEEN killed. The dialogue is broken when the fourth option in the conversation is selected. One can only select END the conversation, the dialogue line to proceed and get the Crux of Fire quest line is missing.

Hopefully this will help you guys sort this particular bug out.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wa6kn8

After purchasing this game and putting in more than 27 hours into it I encounter a game breaking bug and there is apparently no way to fix it. I need to use a work around using the character editor in order to proceed with my game, and there is still no guarantee it will work correctly.

I must say, I'm terribly disappointed in Basilisk Games. There is no way this bug should have slipped through play testing. It is entirely reasonable that someone would encounter and kill Sparrow (since she is a hostile character in all but one of the dialogue options if one speaks to her) before finding the secret society.

I'm really hoping someone from Basilisk can either provide a patch to fix this issue or can repair my most recent save game, which I'm happy to provide, so I can continue on with the storyline as it was intended rather than having to hack my save game to make it work.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Game Breaking Bug: Kill Sparrow Before The Secret Societ

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I'll see what I can do for you. Give me a couple hours to look into it.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I have a fix for you Corlain!

Return to Broken Blade and pick up the Hammerlorne Key that Sparrow dropped. When you have done this return to Crius Vindica and talk to Korren. The dialogue tree will no longer be broken.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

I didn't pick up the key from her because I already looted the one from the treasure chest in Dunmore.

Edit: Yep, that worked! Thank you so much!

I apologize to Basilisk Games for the harshness of my initial post. I have enjoyed the game so much and when I hit this bug it really frustrated me, and given my interactions with game developers/publishers in the past I thought I was just screwed. I can easily see how this bug was overlooked with this new information since it is logical to assume one would take the key that is dropped.

I tend to play games in a fairly unconventional way so it's not surprising that I find these kinds of random bugs. It has happened to me many times before with various games over the years and I can honestly say before today no game publisher/developer has tried to solve a strange game breaking bug that I have encountered. I have literally always been told "Tough cookies. Start over" and I can't say how infuriating I find that kind of response.

My faith is restored!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I have a fix for you Corlain!
I just saw this, and that PM had posted it, and thought for a moment that he would have tried to trick this poor, stuck fellow into doing something that couldn't actually be done in the normal game...

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thank you @PM for taking care of this. Much appreciated.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.