Please tell me there is a way to reset quests!?!?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
theanonymy
Apprentice

Please tell me there is a way to reset quests!?!?

Post by theanonymy »

No, not maps; quests. Or, more specifically, a quest. The Exterminator, to be precise. I think I effed up, because I generally play non-linear...uh...ly? I had already killed all of the Boreheads before even getting to Port Kuudad for the Magis' quest....but he told me the acolyte had just arrived, blah blah. Long story short, I have reset every map (all four; in all configurations) and done this stupid thing six times over, with the same result each time! I know exactly where all 23 are located, every time, yet it never ends the quest; I don't get the Hexedge (don't really give a crap about the XP at this point), don't pass GO or collect the two hun. I refuse to leave the east side of Ravens' Gate until I finish it, and I'd like to finish this game before Book III drops. I want the axe, damnit! :?

Yeeks!
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

--Unknown (though sometimes contributed to Jonathan Davis, for some reason)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Please tell me there is a way too reset quests!?!?

Post by SpottedShroom »

If I had to guess, I'd say that by refreshing the maps you've overshot the 23 kill target for that quest and made it impossible to complete within the game itself. We'll have to go outside the game.

Go get xolotl's editor: http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/

Go into your saves folder (find it by clicking the version number text on the main menu screen) and make a back up copy of the slot you're going to edit.

Launch the Book II character editor and load your saved game with it.

Go into the Items tab and create an item in an unused spot in your inventory. Give it a name, pick an icon, and then assign it this action script:

Code: Select all

quest 106 23; msg (Done)
See attached pictures.

Save the game in the editor and load it back up in the game. Now right-clicking the item will set the Borehead kill counter to 23 and let you complete the quest. In fact, using it multiple times will let you keep completing the quest for more XP and copies of Hexedge, but hey, you're using an editor. If you want to cheat you could just set all your stats and skills to 100.
Attachments
item2.png
item2.png (6.8 KiB) Viewed 12361 times
item1.png
item1.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 12361 times
theanonymy
Apprentice

@SpottedShroom!

Post by theanonymy »

SpottedShroom; thank you, I will try this. I was just about to attempt one last time, except this time resetting Port Kuudad as well....I reeeeally don't want to do that! I've got stuff stashed everywhere....it's a large city....well, you get the idea. I know you copy/save your folders first, but still...

Anyway, I'll post back if it works!

EDIT: Dood...you're amazing. Really...effing...awesome. *bows deeply*

Had a couple false starts/crashes; totally my fault, not yours. Didn't have the icon pack installed for starters...whoops...after I got that sorted, and the 'datapak' thing, I'd realized the random number I'd put in for the icon was waaaaay too high. But, it has worked, and if I'd just asked days ago, I would not be over-powered now. I mean seriously...the Goliaths were at 1% chance of hitting me! I'd just let them gang up on me by the last couple swing throughs....yeesh. I even went down to Edon, which is somewhere I've never been (this is my third or fourth start at this game; have never gotten past Durnore for whatever reasons), just to have something else to do whilst trying to figure out my mistake.....yikes. Though I was trying to get to that south shore of the Yoma River just before the cavern that tells you to piss off....didn't get there. *shrugs*

Anyhoo....I am pleased. I have my coveted axe now, so off to Ravens Gate it is! Thank you! :mrgreen:
Last edited by theanonymy on January 30th, 2014, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

theanonymy
Apprentice

@xolotl!

Post by theanonymy »

Wow. I'm really a bit of an arse, aren't I?

I was so thrilled to be able to progress in Book II, I'd forgotten, in my excitement, to thank the author of the editor; xolotl!! I'd amended my previous post to thank SpottedShroom (thank you so much, yet again!), but had failed to mention the other exceedingly important person in relieving my abject misery.

*bows head* Thank you. And my apologies. :oops:

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Please tell me there is a way to reset quests!?!?

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yeah, xolotl's editor is really amazing. He reverse engineered the structure for all of the save files himself and rewrote a substantial subset of the Eschalon engine for the map editor. I've been hacking on it some since he's been busy with other things, but he deserves all the credit.
theanonymy
Apprentice

Re: Please tell me there is a way to reset quests!?!?

Post by theanonymy »

Woof. Sounds highly intelligent. I like that. :wink: *ahem*

Clearly, you're no slouch yourself. :mrgreen: