Eschalon Book 2 Crashes & Exits at Westwillow Crossing….!

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Trajanus Ulpius
Initiate

Eschalon Book 2 Crashes & Exits at Westwillow Crossing….!

Post by Trajanus Ulpius »

Hey Folks,

Great to be on the forum again!

I need help please.

I am playing again after a while, and suddenly when I try to leave the dungeon under Iron Pool Dam, crossing over to Westwillow the game suddenly crashes and exits. :shock:

What can this be? What can I do?

My MacBook Pro runs Mac OS 10.7.5. I have downloaded Book 2 when it came out first.

I do not want to loose any saved games and progress.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TU
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Eschalon Book 2 Crashes & Exits at Westwillow Crossing….

Post by xolotl »

Trajanus Ulpius wrote:I am playing again after a while, and suddenly when I try to leave the dungeon under Iron Pool Dam, crossing over to Westwillow the game suddenly crashes and exits. :shock:
Hey there - I don't have a Mac, but if you wanted to upload the savegame right before the crash, I could see if I could reproduce it anyway. What version of Book 2 are you running? It should say right on the main screen, at the bottom.
Trajanus Ulpius
Initiate

Hey xolotl,

Thanks for trying to help!

I still have version 1.04. I guess this is WAYYYYY out dated, and probably the cause for this sudden crash!!

Should I download the latest version? How do I prevent losing any saved games when I upgrade to the latest version?

Last question: When I download the latest version I will have to somehow find my original purchase key…where can I find that in my file structure?

Thanks!

TU
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Trajanus Ulpius wrote:I still have version 1.04. I guess this is WAYYYYY out dated, and probably the cause for this sudden crash!!
The latest version is just 1.05, so you're not too behind, though 1.05 was a pretty big update (included a lot of new content, etc). I'm not sure if that'd actually be the cause or not; as I said, if you can upload the savefile somewhere, I could at least see if I can reproduce it on a non-mac box.
Should I download the latest version? How do I prevent losing any saved games when I upgrade to the latest version?

Last question: When I download the latest version I will have to somehow find my original purchase key…where can I find that in my file structure?
As far as I know, your savegames should still work after you upgrade, and I'm pretty sure that you won't have to put in your purchase key again, though I'm not 100% sure on that one.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yes, updating is a good idea and may well fix your problem.

Your product key is stored in your eb2.cfg file in your saved game directory. You can find where that is by clicking the version number that appears at the bottom of the screen on the main menu. Neither should be affected by you updating your game, but you can back them up ahead of time just to be sure.
Trajanus Ulpius
Initiate

Thanks Guys,

I have downloaded the latest version of Book II, and managed to retrieve saved games without any hassles.

Unfortunately it did not solve the problem. I am still stuck - crashing out of the game when I leave Iron Pool Dam dungeons. AAAARghhhh....

Ok. So the savefile is a folder called Slot 5, and contains a lot of files. I am really not certain what to upload xolotl. Let me know, and I'll send it through.

Have a great weekend!

TU
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Trajanus Ulpius wrote: Ok. So the savefile is a folder called Slot 5, and contains a lot of files. I am really not certain what to upload xolotl. Let me know, and I'll send it through.
Zip up the whole slot, upload it somewhere (Google Drive, e.g.) and post a link here.
Trajanus Ulpius
Initiate

Here we go....hope this works!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Q7Vu ... sp=sharing

Let me know and I'll try another route.

Thanks!

Juan
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

So yeah, I definitely do have that problem as well on my end. How does your diskspace look? Had you used up your whole harddrive at some point? One problem would be that the savegame slot is missing the minimap graphic file for westwillow (those are the ones with the "opq" extension), which I think can end up crashing the game if they're missing. Putting in a blank opq file doesn't fix the issue, though, and it looks like my map editor software can't load the westwillow map, either. I'm wondering if you'd run out of diskspace in the middle of writing to the westwillow map file, which made one of the map files truncated, and didn't have the space to store the minimap file as well.

One way to fix it so that you can get into westwillow would be to just delete both westwillow files from your savegame slot (the .map and .ent files). If you do that, then they'll get recreated from scratch when you try going into that map again, though that will also have the side effect of resetting that map to its default state (so if you've been through there already and killed all the enemies, etc, they would pop back up again).

If that doesn't appeal to you, I'm guessing I have a savegame with an already-cleared-out Westwillow in it; I could send you those handful of files if you'd prefer that, instead of having to totally reset the area.
Trajanus Ulpius
Initiate

xoloti, you are a friggen magician!! :mrgreen:

Fixed, wham bam! I'm in Westwillow and playing again. Yes, it's from scratch, but I'm doing it with smile.

I've learned a lot from you guys - thanks.

Have a great weekend.

TU