Slow play

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
csharp0
Initiate

Slow play

Post by csharp0 »

Does anyone else have a slow playing game--meaning everything moving slowly. It might be my computer, since the same thing happened in Book 1.

I have a 13" Macbook 2.2ghz, 4G ram, 10.6.3. It is 2 years old with shared video, before the new video updates. I played the demo on a much more inferior PC, just before the mac version came out and the game played flawlessly. i expect more from mac's.
Lack of clever wit.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Slow play

Post by IJBall »

csharp0 wrote:Does anyone else have a slow playing game--meaning everything moving slowly. It might be my computer, since the same thing happened in Book 1.

I have a 13" Macbook 2.2ghz, 4G ram, 10.6.3. It is 2 years old with shared video, before the new video updates. I played the demo on a much more inferior PC, just before the mac version came out and the game played flawlessly. i expect more from mac's.
Try restarting - I'm playing mine on a similar system (though with 10.5.8 & 2.4 GHz), and I'm not finding it slow.

But sometimes you just need to do a restart to "flush" the system and the memory, so see if that does the trick...
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I've been using my Mac G4 10.4 (I think) for beta testing. It was pretty slow in towns and high light sources for Book 1 but book 2 only had mild slow down in forests for some reason. My laptop it went so fast I'd over shot something I was aiming for! :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

If your Mac is "taking advantage" of intel integrated graphics, that's likely your problem.
csharp0
Initiate

Post by csharp0 »

by "taking advantage" what do you mean?
Lack of clever wit.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Intel would have you believe their graphics chips are good for gaming, when the exact opposite is true.
csharp0
Initiate

Post by csharp0 »

yeah, the intel shared video sucks and i've been losing faith in mac's because of their stupid choices. Anyway, restarting my computer and the game helped. now the game plays beautifully. thanks for the advice.
Lack of clever wit.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Also, there are issues with memory and video in OS X 10.6.3. I saw some notes that a 10.6.4 release may be imminent to help deal with this, but since the last update I've had to regularly restart my machine, and MS Word and Quicken both make it go really batty with slowdowns.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I found that having anything else running that uses video will really slow the game down. Most other programs can work with the game, but for some reason it slows when disconnecting from the Internet.