Player's Manual Typos

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Player's Manual Typos

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
  • Notice that your character can suffer from other ailments that aren‟t linked to Hit Points. Dis-eases, broken bones, and insanity are examples of such ailments that affect your character‟s per-formance, but are not linked to your character‟s Hit Points.

Can your character suffer from broken bones or insanity?
In Book I, one of the diseases was called something like "Dungeon Insanity" (or something), so I think it was considered. (Now that I think about it, it would be cool when suffering from something like this if, after a certain number of turns, the "insanity" would "take over", and you could no longer control your character's movements, and your character just wandered, randomly about, on screen! :wink: )

Anyway, I think the "insanity & broken bones" thing may be in anticipation of Book III features(?)...

{Edited}
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Page 21:
  • Type: Awkward Sentence

Switches most always do something. They may open a gate or disable a trap, among other things.

Suggestion: "Almost every switch you come across does something. Using a switch may open a gate or disable a trap, among other things."
I'll just note that there is no switch that I've ever come across, in either Book I or Book II, that has actually disabled a trap. I'm not saying it can't happen, or that it wouldn't be a cool idea - just that it hasn't happened yet!
Jedi_Learner wrote:Page 22:
  • Type: Awkward Section

I believe the section entitled "Picking Locks & Disarming Traps" is missing pieces of information and should be re-written to be more direct. Example below.

...Your success in picking locks depends greatly on your character's Pick Locks Skill, as well as your Dexterity and Concentration attributes.

...Your disarming ability depends on your character's Skullduggery Skill, as well as your Dexterity and Concentration attributes...
In fact, only Dexterity compliments Pick Locks, and only Concentration complements Skullduggery.
  • Type: Grammar Mistakes

There are other methods as well, such as drinking Healing Elixir, or casting a healing spell .

"There are other methods as well, such as drinking an Healing Elixir, or casting a healing spell."
In fact, it should be "...a Healing Elixir" - "H" is a consonant, and it's only "silent" in some weird East Coast states!... :P
  • Type: Sentence Suggestion

If you allow either of the bars to get all the way empty you will begin to see negative effects on your character.

"If you allow either of the bars to empty you will begin to see negative effects on your character."
I prefer BW's version to yours, though perhaps it might be best if it read:

"If you allow either of the bars to get all the way to zero, you will begin to see negative effects on your character."

Most of these were good catches though! :)
Last edited by IJBall on July 15th, 2010, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
IJBall wrote:I'll just note that there is no switch that I've ever come across, in either Book I or Book II, that has actually disabled a trap.
The wooden lever in the Goblin Citadel that stops the portcullis from crushing you? Or would you not consider that a trap? :wink:
Ah, good catch!

OK, so there's one!! :roll: :wink:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
IJBall wrote:OK, so there's one!! :roll: :wink:
Errr... ummmm... the lever puzzle on level three of Talushorn?
I guess I have a different conception of what "disabling a trap" means - I guess I'm thinking of a switch that would disable a floor trap or something...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Page 14:
  • Unarmed Combat is the ability to attack a target using only your hands or feet and inflict as much damage as you would if you were holding a blunt weapon.

Your character only uses his or her bare hands. There is no animation showing your character using their feet during combat. :wink:
Speaking of Unarmed Combat, nowhere in the description of Unarmed Combat does it say what its important Attribute modifiers are.

IOW, Damage is governed by Strength and Speed for Unarmed, but you actually have to read the "Bows" description to know that - it should probably say that right up front in the Unarmed Combat description.

In fact, it would probably be cool if the dual Attribute modifiers for all the Combat skills were listed (e.g. because they're different for Bows and Thrown Weapons) in the same way that they're currently listed for Skills such as the Magicks, Lore, Move Silently, Pick Locks, etc.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, several new players have posted on the forums that they don't know how to detonate explosive barrels, so explicit info on this should probably be added to The Players Manual in the section on "Bashing" (pages 21-22).
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

I just said that in another thread!