Unable to start

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
pmonks
Initiate

Unable to start

Post by pmonks »

It's been a month or so since I played Eschalon Book II, and just now when I sat down to spend an hour or so I discover it won't start. If I launch Steam first, and hit "Play" on Eschalon Book II, a dialog box pops up for a second or two containing the text "Preparing to Launch Eschalon: Book 2..." then it disappears and nothing has happened.

It appears Steam seems to think the game did start, since the "Last Played" status has changed.

Any ideas? Is there any way to get a log file from Steam and/or EB2 to get some visibility into what's going on?

[edit] Yes I've done all the obvious things - checked for updates on OSX, Steam, etc., restarted several times, shutdown every other process on the box, etc. None of which helped. I'm running Snow Globe 10.6.5 on a year-old MacBook Pro.
pmonks
Initiate

Re: Unable to start

Post by pmonks »

To answer my own question - I managed to force Steam to re-download the game in its entirety, and that's fixed my issue.

I wonder what it'd take to ditch Steam and switch to the Mac App Store instead?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

pmonks wrote:I wonder what it'd take to ditch Steam and switch to the Mac App Store instead?
We are not on the Mac App store yet! We're working hard on it and hopefully we'll have some info for you soon.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
pmonks
Initiate

Post by pmonks »

Nice! Yeah like I say I don't have a problem anymore so it's not urgent for me, but more generally it looks like the Mac App Store (and presumably Microsoft's equivalent - I don't doubt they'll release one shortly too) will eventually send Steam and friends the way of the Dodo.