Weird Execution Error

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
scottyb
Pledge

Weird Execution Error

Post by scottyb »

Hi. When I try to start the game (v1.05) it "hangs", giving "Error launching embedded game package: -10661" in Terminal and a sleeping process :( PPC quad G5 running 10.4.9. Any thoughts??
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Weird Execution Error

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I'm not positive, but I seem to remember that BW had to ditch PPC support in the last build. He couldn't make the stuff work Universally anymore. I could be wrong with that, though. Hopefully somebody who remembers better and isn't reading this at 6 am without sufficient coffee knows more.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Here's a little info nugget:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:
mybreitz wrote:Let's say I want to download the old version. Because I installed the new version before I realized it wouldn't work. Can I still get a copy?
I do have PPC versions of Book I (v1.05) and Book II (v1.04). Just because they are a bit out of date does not mean they aren't playable- on the contrary, they are very stable and mostly bug free.

Note: we are not giving away free PPC copies- rather, if you bought the game and discovered that you need a PPC version, I can get you an older version. And actually, you should be able to locate version 1.04 of Book II (includes the PPC code) on sites like GamersHell or any other service that normally hosts our games. Just unlock it with your Reg Key and start playing.
scottyb
Pledge

Post by scottyb »

Hmmmm, thanks for the replies. Yes, I read that the latest version lacked PPC support, but I thought that the latest == v1.06, and v1.05 still was a Universal build: I downloaded (and do not remember from where) a "v1.05" that is a Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures. Now, maybe v1.05 is the latest, and this site mislabeled it, and I have v1.04, but even still, as a Universal, I was hoping to get it to run on my system :(
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Latest for Book I is 1.06. Latest for Book II is 1.05. Book II version 1.04 should run on a PPC machine, so if it isn't there may be some other error going on.
---

scottyb
Pledge

Post by scottyb »

lol, yeah, the "some other error going on" is:

Error launching embedded game package: -10661

This is the download from Mac Games Store, and when I "Try It Now", I get the aforementioned error. Def. a Universal build, so that is not the problem. Another place I can get v1.04 then?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Send an e-mail to info [at] basiliskgames.com, explain the problem, and ask BW to give you a link to the 1.04 build. Uninstall the game from Mac Game Store and install the one from BW. It may be in Demo mode when you install it as the code from Mac Game Store may not work on it, but it will let you see if the game will launch. If so, then there's an error being created by the wrapper from Mac Game Store. If not, there's something more pernicious going on.
---

scottyb
Pledge

Post by scottyb »

OK, thanks! I am ordering a new Mac Pro soon anyway, so maybe I'll just wait for that to arrive..... :D