Unwanted Uninstallation... Steam?

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Ssschah
Council Member

Unwanted Uninstallation... Steam?

Post by Ssschah »

Ok, so this is what happened, it is 12:12 AM, I am using a Mac book pro lion OSX, and Eschalon book II has just decided to... Wreck me maybe.
I added Eschalon book II to my Steam non-steamgames, (because I didn't buy the game through steam but now I use steam) and I just now attempted to start it up, and it is acting as if I haven't purchased the game, I haven't re-entered the code, because I am afraid I will have lost ALL of my save games, all my my settings, EVERYTHING I HAVE DONE. Why has it taken my code away?? Is there a way to recover my save-games if it has deleted them when I put the code in? Sigh, if I have to redo all my progress, I am just gonna give up. Too many game issues (not with Eschalon book II luckily :) until now...)
Last edited by Ssschah on December 26th, 2011, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ssschah
Council Member

Re: I have a situation and I am really upset

Post by Ssschah »

I don't think it did this because I added it to steam though, because it has been added or the last few days and been playing fine, then just now I attempted to start it up, quit steam accidently in the middle of starting it up, and restarting steam, then it wouldn't work. Assuming it was steam I tried playing it off of steam. Nope. "Play the demo now"
*SIGHS*

EDIT:I clicked on "play the demo" oddly enough, my save-games are still there, I'm afraid to click on them because it might corrupt them since my current safe is beyond the demo, but I am surprised they are still there, I guess the game took the code away but everything else is still there? This is one weird situation.
ManusDei
Council Member

Re: I have a situation and I am really upset

Post by ManusDei »

You can copy/paste the savegame folder somewhere else, and start the game. If it breaks your savegames, you still have the copy which should be fine :)
Ssschah
Council Member

Re: Unwanted Uninstallation... Steam?

Post by Ssschah »

I copied and pasted them somewhere else, now I am gonna try re-entering the code, (assuming the code I have when I bought the game works still now) and hopefully my saves and everything will be fine, haha of course my slow night internet has to interfere.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

There is no way you can lose your saved games by moving or uninstalling Book 1 or Book 2. They are kept in a protected folder inside your Documents folder.

I am not sure why adding the game to Steam would cause it to forget it's registration number. Let me know if you get this worked out.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

I got it figured out, the game was perfectly fine, it turns out, somehow the Eschalon book II folder itself got moved in some extremely random place, it was semi in the trash but somewhere else at the same time, I had to reget my mypic.png but other then that everything else is fine. Great game Basilisk games, this is the first time I have encountered a problem :D