Doesn't run on Ubuntu Jaunty 64b bit

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
wuji
Apprentice

Re: Doesn't run on Ubuntu Jaunty 64b bit

Post by wuji »

Do you have libopenal,libvorbis,libogg for 32bit installed? I think that eschalon uses ogg vorbis for sound/music and at least on debian, those libraries aren't installed in 32bit compatibility libraries. Might be the same problem with Ubuntu.

Anyway I've found out that even Debian Sid doesn't have libc 2.11 so even 32bit chroot will not work. Hope that recompiled version will come soon. **nag nag nag nag nag**:-)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

wuji wrote:Hope that recompiled version will come soon. **nag nag nag nag nag**:-)
It will be next week before I get to this. Sorry- too many other promises ahead of this! :(
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by obiwan »

Elwro: for pasuspender apprently you have to use -- after ld-linux.so, read the man page.

But I am not so sure anymore that your sound problem is with pulse. To be sure, you could just remove it from your system for a while.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

Eh, just wanted to say that after rebooting my computer I can now run the game WITH sound using padsp as described above. Thank you, obiwan! :-)
Tyranthraxus
Steward

Post by Tyranthraxus »

[quote="obiwan"]Tyranthraxus, the work around I posted should work on your system as well. Just download a cooker glibc from the mirrors.

obiwan, thanks, I did already try that, but ran into some awkward problems. It appears that Mandriva throttle support after a specified time, and the official repositories seem to be capped at that point, so glibc2.6 seems to be the latest available "officially".
I did go for the `cooker` rpms, very messily organised, and these started chucking up errors I wasn`t in a mood to start finding work-arounds for, especially after having just run the package manager for updates, and had it give Grub instant Alzheimers where Windoze partitions were located.

Your suggestion to BW regarding compilation, I totally agree with. I was going to suggest he uses Debian stable as the `baseline` system for compiling Linux versions. Never `bleeding edge`, it shouldn`t throw up dependency issues for the majority of distros around at the moment.

At the moment, I`m going to wait for the recompiled version, trying to chase after these later dependencies is giving me a headache, and mucking up what was a very stable sytem, and kind of takes the fun out of playing Book 2. I`ll stick playing on grotty old Windoze, until I see how things develop on the Linux front, although if I get bored over the bank holiday, I might stick a very recent distro on an USB drive, and see how quick I can break that. ;)
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by obiwan »

Tyranthraxus wrote:
obiwan, thanks, I did already try that, but ran into some awkward problems. It appears that Mandriva throttle support after a specified time, and the official repositories seem to be capped at that point, so glibc2.6 seems to be the latest available "officially".
officially for your version via the package manager. The latest stable version probably has glibc2.11 (or at least2.10). Cooker has 2.11. You can download from the mirrors.
I did go for the `cooker` rpms, very messily organised, and these started chucking up errors I wasn`t in a mood to start finding work-arounds for, especially after having just run the package manager for updates, and had it give Grub instant Alzheimers where Windoze partitions were located.
I agree they are "messy" organized. Well, it is clear for the packaging tools,which is usually what is important. But it should be easy to find the correct file. What errors would you get when normally downloading a file from the internet? Or do you get errors during extraction? Anyway, do not use the package manager, use the method described in my post.
At the moment, I`m going to wait for the recompiled version, trying to chase after these later dependencies is giving me a headache, and mucking up what was a very stable sytem, and kind of takes the fun out of playing Book 2. I`ll stick playing on grotty old Windoze, until I see how things develop on the Linux front, although if I get bored over the bank holiday, I might stick a very recent distro on an USB drive, and see how quick I can break that. ;)
Wine 1.0 also should run eb2. But right,a recompiled version would be best.
Tyranthraxus
Steward

Post by Tyranthraxus »

officially for your version via the package manager. The latest stable version probably has glibc2.11 (or at least2.10). Cooker has 2.11. You can download from the mirrors.
No, it`s 2.6 on the mirrors. Looks like Mandriva close off after your support period expires (rather interesting reading on that subject in their forums), and move on to the next iteration of the distro. Got the full box set of 2009, but keeping that back for another comp, this one`s getting a bit cranky.

I agree they are "messy" organized. Well, it is clear for the packaging tools,which is usually what is important. But it should be easy to find the correct file. What errors would you get when normally downloading a file from the internet? Or do you get errors during extraction? Anyway, do not use the package manager, use the method described in my post.
Extraction errors, rather non-informative error message (rather like the classic Windoze "an error occurred because an error occurred".
Besides, trying to get the full set out of the `cooker` takes some searching.

Not going to try Wine, as a) EB2 is already running on the Windoze partition; and b) the main reason was to run the native Linux version, which if it follows EB1`s lead, should be a lot smoother than `doze`, hopefully losing the `slow walk`etc... and a slightly bizarre bug with the `Lore` spell, when my inventory items come up as "object is obscured" (seems to clear itself after a quit/reload.

Anyhow, a good excuse for me to get round to testing out some other distros on an external drive, been meaning to do that for a while, but would rather be playing EB for the time.

Thanks for the tips though, much appreciated.
MaT
Initiate

Post by MaT »

It's sad, we, the Linux users, were waiting for two more weeks, when Windows users were already playing. Now we have to wait for another week...

Even Debian unstable don't have this new version of GLIBC.
BasiliskWrangler wrote:It will be next week before I get to this. Sorry- too many other promises ahead of this! :(
If that promises are related to Eschalon, what should be now more important than the possibility to play the game for more users? :-)
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

MaT wrote: If that promises are related to Eschalon, what should be now more important than the possibility to play the game for more users? :-)
Not playing favorites. ;)
wuji
Apprentice

Post by wuji »

actually the worst thing will be to run down and find the correct version of the other libraries like libopenal, libogg, libvorbis etc. Old library version are becoming obsolete in linux distributions and without the source code, old binaries are harder and harder to get working. I can't play eb1 on debian anymore. BW should probably include most of the shared libraries in the linux packages as well.
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

I agree that including libraries would be a good idea (look at games made by Introversion or Frictionnal Games for exemple).
Making a shell wrapper to the game binary to use those shared libraries should be easy enough.

BW, what is your opinion on that?
b0rsuk
Initiate

Post by b0rsuk »

Basilisk Wrangler, you may want to check this site: http://distrowatch.com

It gives you a good idea what libraries are available in which distributions. Good for checking compatibility. For example in Debian:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian

As you can see, at the moment only Debian Unstable has glibc2.6.11 . Testing has 2.6.10, while stable (official, recommended) is 2.7 .

Fedora:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora

Ubuntu:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu

Gentoo:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gentoo

Mandriva:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mandriva

xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

b0rsuk wrote:Basilisk Wrangler, you may want to check this site: http://distrowatch.com
... and this is exactly why more people don't develop for Linux! :) Stay strong, BW! We appreciate the effort!

(Though simply building Book 2 up on the 9.x release of Ubuntu should be sufficient to solve the current problem, as you're already aware.)
wuji
Apprentice

Post by wuji »

xolotl wrote:... and this is exactly why more people don't develop for Linux! :) Stay strong, BW! We appreciate the effort!
tons of people develop for linux. they just don't bother to release binary only software because then they have to package it and test it themselves. and i don't think that increasing the amount of binary only software would really make linux distributions more usable.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

wuji wrote:tons of people develop for linux.
I'd be willing to bet that there are far more Windows and OSX developers out there than Linux, especially in the gaming world. Having used Linux (or other UNIXes) more or less exclusively on my desktop for the past twelve years or so I'm well aware of the work that is put into it, but it's hard to think of Linux development as anything but a very daunting task for people who aren't already familiar with the platform (which is why I'm still overjoyed when game developers like BW take the time to wrestle their way through the maze and release their software on Linux).