A (dangerous) way into Lost Westwillow under Ubuntu

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
lateralus
Initiate

A (dangerous) way into Lost Westwillow under Ubuntu

Post by lateralus »

I made a backup of a save slot and opened ironpool_dam_lower.map with GNU/Emacs in Hex editing mode. I then replaced all instances of "Westwillow" with "westwillow". I noticed that it still didn't allow me to enter Westwillow in most of the directions I tried, but one particular angle to the left of the Westwillow sign let me in.

I have no idea how badly this may break stuff. I'll post any breakage if (or when) I come across it.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Re: A (dangerous) way into Lost Westwillow under Ubuntu

Post by Elwro »

Wow, a swell idea! I don't have time now to try it myself (no, I'm not chickening out), but please post your experience!
lateralus
Initiate

Post by lateralus »

Elwro wrote:Wow, a swell idea! I don't have time now to try it myself (no, I'm not chickening out), but please post your experience!
[spoilers]

Never having been to Westwillow I had nothing to compare the experience. But one strange thing was that when came back down the ladder after getting the bell the entire map reset completely. I don't know if the map would reset every time I did this.

The bottom-line here is that I killed The Prospector (twice), got the bell and went on my merry way. Westwillow done.
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Thanks for the tip. Done the same via hexedit. 4 places to change Westwillow to wetswillow and I could enter, kill some skeletons and go back.
Will now do it on my current save and go back to the dam to finish the quest.

Thanks again
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
Slammer64
Apprentice

Post by Slammer64 »

I also found an alternative, but it requires that you have 2 computers or a Linux/Windows dual boot. I tried just for s's and g's copying over my save from Linux onto my drive with Windows, they are compatible and you can enter Westwillow that way. You will need to have Eschalon Book 2 installed on both O/S.
Somewhere, just out of sight, the Penguins are gathering!
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

RezoApio wrote:Thanks for the tip. Done the same via hexedit. 4 places to change Westwillow to wetswillow and I could enter, kill some skeletons and go back.
Will now do it on my current save and go back to the dam to finish the quest.

Thanks again
The same method worked for me, but I had to change 5 instances, not 4 :mystary: