Movement animation

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
Pit
Initiate

Movement animation

Post by Pit »

Huh, my character is not 'moving' anymore. No animation - just a static sprite that slides around. I am almost 100% sure this was not the case the last time I played. So I thought it's related to the new binary (1.04a), and went back to 1.03. Same thing. Even after removing my ~/.basilisk_games folder no change. Now I'm somewhat lost :( Maybe someone has seen this, too? Or can give a hint what I should look at? An update of a system library? But which? At least of the ones listed by 'ldd' none has changed :?

Pit

PS: Forgot, I am running it on openSUSE 11.2
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Movement animation

Post by SpottedShroom »

I had the same problem. It's not an issue with the save files, since I started a new game and had the same problem.

I ended up fixing it by rebooting my machine - I had a new kernel I wanted to switch to anyway. I suspect you could also fix it just by restarting X in case you want to maintain your uptime and moral superiority :)
Pit
Initiate

Post by Pit »

(back from vacation)

Meanwhile I did reboot, and right now animation is back.

I'm a bit reluctant to reboot/restart X too often - not because of uptime or superiority but just because I always have lots of applications open so I can immediately continue to work after resuming from S2RAM. I'll have to see if that happens more often....

Pit
Eddward
Initiate

Post by Eddward »

I have this problem as well. I'm running 1.05. I had animation last night and not tonight. I'm about 75 days and 8 hours since the last reboot. It's just my character who doesn't appear to animate. Everyone else in the game (NPCs) seems fine.

Like others, I hibernate my system so I don't have to restart various apps and restore where I was in them. It would be nice if this could be fixed so I don't have to lose my progress in other tasks just to get a game to work.

Since the animation is ok with the NPCs, would there be a way to hook the player animation up to the same clock as the NPCs? Perhaps and a manual reset? I don't know if that makes sense. Just making a blind guess.

On a side note, sorry for the duplication. I used the forum search and replied to the first hit I found for this problem which was in windows forum. Feel free to ignore my post there.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't think I have anything to add since last time this came up. It happens to me rarely, and I restart to fix it when it does. I don't think we ever got to the bottom of what's causing it.

Can anyone on Linux with a 75+ day uptime confirm that they DON'T see this problem? We could rule out uptime as the cause if so.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Uptime is the cause.

The walking animation uses a system timer, and when a computer has been on a long while, the timer count overloads a 32-bit integer, screwing up the game's animation timer.

Will look for an alternative for Book III. For Book II, you just need to reboot.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
TheBuzzSaw
Apprentice

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

If only you were coding in C++. These is a simple fix for 64-bit timers in Linux. :(
Amateurs practice until they do it right.
Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:If only you were coding in C++. These is a simple fix for 64-bit timers in Linux. :(
I know. I absolutely love BlitzMax for what it is, but yet I can give you a dozen reasons why I feel I should have gone the C++ route instead.

I am seriously unsure which direction I should head after Book III. C++ seems obvious, but there are just so many other viable solutions out there, I just don't want to invest the time going in the wrong direction.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Eddward
Initiate

Post by Eddward »

Hi. I already know this won't be addressed in book 2 but I thought I'd add a data point in case it helps with book 3 development.

In my previous post I noticed I hit the problem between days 74 & 75 in uptime. I haven't played in a week, so I'm not sure when I crossed the magic threshold, but I have the problem tonight with an uptime of 30 days. So 75-ish days isn't the (only?) magic threshold.