Crash with full screen and multiple monitors

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
nottorp
Initiate

Crash with full screen and multiple monitors

Post by nottorp »

Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64. Game happily runs in windowed mode, also happily runs in full screen if only one monitor is connected. If both monitors are connected -> segmentation fault.

I guess it sees the monitors as one 3200(1280+1920) x 1080 desktop and something divides by zero. Can provide a core dump or four if you think it helps.

Also funny enough, when i try full screen mode and it crashes, the game "forgets" i entered a valid serial number on the next run and reverts me to the startup screen with "enter code" and "play demo" option.
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Crash with full screen and multiple monitors

Post by CycyX »

FYI, with an NVIDIA card and monitors in Twinview, a lot of games crash for me in fullscreen (Aquaria, World of Goo, Gish, etc). Only Penumbra runs well, except the display is centered on the wide screen, rendering it unplayable.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I haven't tried Book II full screen on my dual-monitor Mac, as Book I froze up if I did that, and most other games also freeze when I try to switch to full screen in my dual monitor set-up. Even some games from major companies do.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
nottorp
Initiate

Post by nottorp »

I'm on a nvidia card indeed and i've had trouble with WoW-through-wine (fixed by forcing a resolution in its config files) and Starcraft 2 (not-so-fixed by using the virtual desktop option).

Hmm research opportunity. Will download whatever other native linux games you mentioned that have demos and see how they work for me.

Now to hijack the thread: anyone can give me some pointers on the real state of Linux Ati drivers? Can I now buy a recent card (say a 5830/5850), install accelerated drivers without much trouble and run, say, Eschalon + Starcraft 2-through-wine without any graphical glitches? Or are the Ati drivers still crap and i should suffer with running-hot-nvidia for a few more years?
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

Re your ATI question, for my previous laptop (Vaio), the latest ATI driver where quite a pain to install (ArchLinux) and still had a few graphical glitches, even in old games like Book 1.
Never tried anything fancy through wine though.
Pit
Initiate

Post by Pit »

Interesting. Right now I also can only run in windowed mode. But there is only one monitor, and xrandr only shows one screen...

The only thing I did was watch a movie some days ago, and for that connected an external monitor and switched to that (using disper). Maybe it is related?

(test) Yes, I started a second fresh X session, and there I can run in full-screen mode...

Weird.