[Launch Game] Button Not Working

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
tecknode
Initiate

[Launch Game] Button Not Working

Post by tecknode »

I Upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 from 12.04 and Eschalon Book II (Linux) DOES open with sound.

Problem, I click [Launch Game] and nothing happens. The game does NOT start :| It goes back to the desktop.

I did NOT get the dialog to input my Lic Key.

Any ideas :?:
Tecknomage
aka Master Blaster
Mage Pages
tecknode
Initiate

Re: [Launch Game] Button Not Working

Post by tecknode »

After a night's sleep :roll: remembered what causes this problem.

When you first install Eschalon games and enter your license info, it creates a folder .basilisk_Games. Inside that folder are your save-game folders, in my case book2_Saved_Games.

Problem, when installed both folders are Owned by Root. which means no one else can access these folders, which prevents Eschalon from launching properly.

TO FIX:
  • I have Krusader installed and ran it in the root mode
  • Located the book2_Saved_Games folder and selected [Properties] then the [Permissions] tab
  • I set ALL permissions to the same as "Owner" (root)
  • IMPORTANT - Check the box to apply to contents, which will give all the actual save-slot folders the same permissions
Eschalon Book II launched properly :D
Tecknomage
aka Master Blaster
Mage Pages
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Yeah, sometimes installing certain games/programs as root can be problematic. Thanks for sharing the solution!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

tecknode wrote:After a night's sleep :roll: remembered what causes this problem.

When you first install Eschalon games and enter your license info, it creates a folder .basilisk_Games. Inside that folder are your save-game folders, in my case book2_Saved_Games.

Problem, when installed both folders are Owned by Root. which means no one else can access these folders, which prevents Eschalon from launching properly.
Yes, thanks for posting the solution to your problem. I was at a loss as to what your problem may be since we do not have 12.10 here in the studio- and in fact, I believe we are sticking with 12.04 LTS for our development Linux box.

Is this problem unique to your setup, and not to a default installation of Ubuntu 12.10? Has anyone else seen this issue on a default install of 12.10?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Yes, thanks for posting the solution to your problem. I was at a loss as to what your problem may be since we do not have 12.10 here in the studio- and in fact, I believe we are sticking with 12.04 LTS for our development Linux box.

Is this problem unique to your setup, and not to a default installation of Ubuntu 12.10? Has anyone else seen this issue on a default install of 12.10?
I don't think this problem is related to a specific Linux distribution. It's just an artifact of running the game as root the first time, then running it as a non-root user.
ovejanu
Pledge

Post by ovejanu »

I run it under Xubuntu. To me it did not work at first, but I did not run as root.
I made a small bash script to run. I put padsp before because otherwise was no sound.

#!/bin/sh
padsp ./eschalon_book_2
-------
IO