Puzzle Designing

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Puzzle Designing

Post by Farwalker »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Here is one of mine:

2111 8605 0012 3311
1000 4206 5711 9023
↑ ↓ → ↑ ← ← ↓ ↑ ← →

Designed for a slider chest with a plaque on the wall depicting the above. If the wrong combination is entered, the chest could explode causing lots of damage or it could spawn in a couple of *protectors* which are tough to kill. These *protectors* wouldn't drop loot or give experience to avoid them becoming farmable. The number '1000' is intentional, requiring the player to give a little thought as to how they input the correct combination in without being hurt.
Hmm. Not sure what you mean by the 1000 remark, but one interpretation of this puzzle would be to use 8605 as the answer. Or alternately 5711 I suppose.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I came up with 3311. *shrug*
I defy logic. Of course, being as right brained as I am, the reverse is often true. :mrgreen:
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Jedi_Learner wrote: If you enter the correct combination going left to right, you will trigger the trap if you don't go backwards for the first number or touch the other sliders first.
Oooh, I like it! :D
Samurai Drakon
Apprentice

Post by Samurai Drakon »

Here's a riddle,

What seems inky dark but doesn't leave a mark
Turns blue if the time is true
Can't touch or feel
You can see me
If you don't live in the ground
My swords may be sharp, but so are my wits. I will first draw them and many think I never draw my blades; they are mistaken. It is because none have ever seen them ALIVE... because of my firey breath of course -The legendary Dragon Samurai
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

The sky?
bitsweep
Initiate

Post by bitsweep »

Jedi_Learner wrote:The answer to my puzzle is 8605. Start on the number 5711 and follow the arrow directions. If you start on another number, you'll end up heading in a direction that doesn't contain a number.
Farwalker wrote:Hmm. Not sure what you mean by the 1000 remark...

If you enter the correct combination going left to right, you will trigger the trap if you don't go backwards for the first number or touch the other sliders first.

This is exactly why I loathe most puzzle designs--they simply do not contain enough information to "properly" solve them where you've even got half a chance of doing so without getting pummeled.

Here's what I mean: The way I think, you could end up with any of those numbers. Why? Because with the information given, there is no indication that the arrow directions cannot "edge wrap" back around to the prior column or row.

If there was another earlier clue/reference to the puzzle/chest, say perhaps with a pirate-y quotation about, "One should never wander off the edge of what is written on the charts, for there lie beasts and bombs and all manner of evil ilk." then I would at least have a shot.

My 2-pence worth...
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
bitsweep wrote:Here's what I mean: The way I think, you could end up with any of those numbers. Why? Because with the information given, there is no indication that the arrow directions cannot "edge wrap" back around to the prior column or row.

Then place skulls or something similar around the numbers, or would you find that confusing as well?
Might be confusing, as you get into the situation of too much info/info overload. For what it's worth, I generally have trouble with puzzles like these as well, since I tend to think too much 'outside the box' or overthink.
Oshkell
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Oshkell »

You know, I'd like to see a blasting-powder-based puzzle. Book II kind of made some "simple" ones, in that you had to cart 60 lbs. of gunpowder across the map just to pow through the remaining rocks blocking the chest - I liked that a LOT.

But, how about being teleported into a room that is all but filled with blasting powder kegs? And you can't move more than a square or two (initially) until some of them are destroyed? Problem is, destroying them would release various monsters that can shoot you from a distance. If you do it right, however, you can *also* use the kegs to destroy the monsters. Obviously this would require your having access to a bow & arrows at the start of the puzzle, but that would be as simple as having a dead body right there when you fall in, wouldn't it?
I listen,
I laugh,
I think for a while
As I sit in the dark
And smile.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Oshkell wrote:You know, I'd like to see a blasting-powder-based puzzle. Book II kind of made some "simple" ones, in that you had to cart 60 lbs. of gunpowder across the map just to pow through the remaining rocks blocking the chest - I liked that a LOT.

But, how about being teleported into a room that is all but filled with blasting powder kegs? And you can't move more than a square or two (initially) until some of them are destroyed? Problem is, destroying them would release various monsters that can shoot you from a distance. If you do it right, however, you can *also* use the kegs to destroy the monsters. Obviously this would require your having access to a bow & arrows at the start of the puzzle, but that would be as simple as having a dead body right there when you fall in, wouldn't it?
If done right this could be rather devious... most characters will only be able to carry so many of those kegs at a time, and if there is limited space it could be made tough just to stay clear of the blasts to stay alive.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

How about making those electric balls ignite any powder kegs you may be carrying?
:P
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Jedi_Learner wrote:The answer to my puzzle is 8605. Start on the number 5711 and follow the arrow directions. If you start on another number, you'll end up heading in a direction that doesn't contain a number.
I got 8605 another way. I started at 1000 and followed the arrows, stopping when I hit the edges. That gave me 8605. I don't like that puzzle, because there's nothing to go on.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Well, edge wrapping wasn't a problem for me, my issue was that there's no clear indication of the starting point.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Rowanas wrote:Well, edge wrapping wasn't a problem for me, my issue was that there's no clear indication of the starting point.
Except that if you can't wrap around the edges, there is only one place you can start from to make the arrows work.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Well, I just stopped, like characters do in some games when they hit a wall and you keep telling them to go that way.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Per request, moved topic to Book 3 forum.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.