Wish List

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: Wish List

Post by Evnissyen »

Well, if I had to narrow my wish list to just one thing, it'd be: Let Evnissyen write everything.

But since that's not possible, then: what Mod. said... except:

4. If Basilisk makes it even less linear then there has to be more writing to justify it, we have to be able to discover things and get involved in things and this requires an awful lot of writing. Personally, I think the game should be more linear: there ought to be a stronger plot and a strong narrative thread which gives a purpose to everything we're doing.

6. Multiple-solution puzzles I think might be be too much work for the gain. I'd much prefer a better story; compared with that: puzzles are pretty insignificant to me.

12. Nah, this game is turn-based. Every action is meant to be chosen by the player, not inferred by the computer.

22. I actually like the empty flask in the quickslot. It emphasizes my lack-of.

On #13, which I agree with: I still say, like I did some time ago, that lock-picking shouldn't be based on percentages but rather on skill level. If you meet the skill level required: you pick the lock always and automatically. If you think this makes for bad gaming: Jeff Vogel does this.

On #20, which I think I agree with, an asterisk: Too many games put too much difficulty-emphasis on the bosses. They'll have a certain level of reasonable difficulty (or in some cases too little difficulty), and then for the bosses they make it insanely difficult. Because, you know, if it weren't really goddamned difficult then it wouldn't be a boss, now would it? I find this just a little annoying. So what I'm saying, I guess, is if you're going to have bosses then make them somewhat difficult, not really difficult just to make the point that it's a boss. One of Book I's major problems, of course, was that the end-boss was too easy. I haven't finished Book II yet :oops:, so I can't comment there, just yet. Maybe I should get around to finishing it. Dragon Age is a lot longer than I thought it'd be. (Three months in and it now says "39% complete". Seriously, this game is huge. ...Which is good, but not when I have a lot of other games I haven't finished, plus a lot of work I'm not getting done because I'm busy playing Dragon Age... which is my fault, I know, but still... I have to complain about something, right? Laziness just isn't laziness if you don't see a problem with it.)

There're a lot of things I've already suggested . . . two of the things that come immediately to mind are: notepad and map flags.

Oh, yeah, and more/better animation. The emoticon above has better animation than most of Eschalon... why? For example: The protagonist is two-cel animated.

Also, I agree with Adskiy on greater resolution. My screen is 1280 x 1024, so if I enter full screen then everything is stretched out of shape. I have to go into windowed mode instead.

Oh yeah, and I agree with Randomizer that killer dust bunnies would be cool.

EDIT: Maybe the figures should be larger. Not Kivi/Din size (get too large and you can make a game look cartoony), but large enough and detailed enough to give the player a better sense of the characters as actual people, so to speak. In a story, characters are important. Personally, I think that, in addition to story, game developers should be paying more attention to characters.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Evnissyen wrote: Well, if I had to narrow my wish list to just one thing, it'd be: Let Evnissyen write everything.
Hey, if you write an Eschalon-inspired game, I'll buy a copy.
smokemk3
Initiate

Post by smokemk3 »

Just playing a small amount of time in eschalon book1 i was releaved how easy was to walk in forest without thinking if im missing any hidden path or not.
In my opinion in eschalon book2 its more tiring to walk in forest knowing that im not missing any hidden path. (i use cartography lvl5 and the difference betwen two games is huge)
Thats my point for E.book 3. :)
Mod.
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mod. »

6. Multiple-solution puzzles I think might be be too much work for the gain. I'd much prefer a better story; compared with that: puzzles are pretty insignificant to me.
I guess that is mostly me. I've quit several fun games, just because an optional challenge with a small reward annoyed me so much. Jak 2 killed me with this, especially because some of the difficult challenges are not optional (and one was so extremely difficult I am surprised I made it though the seemingly endless attempts, turns out lots of players had problems on that part).
Hey, I'm not saying that I don't like challanges, indeed you saw me propose to add some optional and difficult bosses. I just want to be able to have a little more control on what difficulty the game is for me, and to be able to completely finish any game by being able to lower the difficulty, after numerous tries on harder ones. A note on that, I usually only make it through one playthrough of a game before I start beefing my character up with editors. I'll play on harder difficulties, I just have to resist making it easier first, which I can do. Helps if the game makes you have to beat it before letting you use the character editor though.
Reminds me of another part of my list, more difficulty options, with more control (i.e., not just on or off on certain game settings). That's why I proposed a monster handicap or something, which can have more than just an on or off setting. Didn't Din's Curse have something like that?

Nah, this game is turn-based. Every action is meant to be chosen by the player, not inferred by the computer.
I meant more along the lines of more hotkeys, or anything that removes redundant clicking.

On #13, which I agree with: I still say, like I did some time ago, that lock-picking shouldn't be based on percentages but rather on skill level. If you meet the skill level required: you pick the lock always and automatically. If you think this makes for bad gaming: Jeff Vogel does this.
Yes, I found that system preferable. You didn't waste your life reloading your save over and over to pick that lock. Also, higher skill levels were still beneficial, due to the fact that picking locks required less living tools, which were in short supply. Lock picking should be more than just "invest more skill points in this if you want to spend less of your life reloading (or you can just skip the loot, but what kind of idiot does that?)". I like having to have a certain skill level to pick locks, more than the percentage.
On #20, which I think I agree with, an asterisk: Too many games put too much difficulty-emphasis on the bosses. They'll have a certain level of reasonable difficulty (or in some cases too little difficulty), and then for the bosses they make it insanely difficult. Because, you know, if it weren't really goddamned difficult then it wouldn't be a boss, now would it? I find this just a little annoying. So what I'm saying, I guess, is if you're going to have bosses then make them somewhat difficult, not really difficult just to make the point that it's a boss. One of Book I's major problems, of course, was that the end-boss was too easy. I haven't finished Book II yet :oops:, so I can't comment there, just yet. Maybe I should get around to finishing it. Dragon Age is a lot longer than I thought it'd be. (Three months in and it now says "39% complete". Seriously, this game is huge. ...Which is good, but not when I have a lot of other games I haven't finished, plus a lot of work I'm not getting done because I'm busy playing Dragon Age... which is my fault, I know, but still... I have to complain about something, right? Laziness just isn't laziness if you don't see a problem with it.)
I put emphasis on bosses, because they make the games more interesting than normal combat. Playing through the game and spending you time just clicking on a monster, and moving on to the next one does not work in many games, unless there is an exceptional reason to do so. Bosses on the other hand, generally aren't repeated clicking just to get past them or level up to handle bigger enemies (or bosses). Bosses on good games are generally unique from other bosses. They posses certain skills, perks, or benefits that make fighting them an actual challenge (other than attack, heal, repeat that you find on most foes). Sometimes fighting them requires more than just bringing down their HP. Tied into quests, I think bosses make a game more fun than just fighting your average baddie on progressively higher difficulties.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

How about being able to borrow money from a lender to buy that cool new sword for 6000gp? You have so many days to pay it back, then the lender sends his goons after you (who show up unexpectedly wherever you go), and you become a wanted man in every town until you pay it back? A wanted man can't enter towns without being attacked by the guards, can't do business with shops, draws the attention of bounty hunters, etc. Maybe your face even shows up on a wanted poster outside the town hall!

Introducing a true outlaw element to the game might make it more fun and interesting...
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Hey, I like that idea, MGC.

Shroom: I know, I know... put my money where my mouth is, right? Thing is, I don't know how to program in C, and don't have the time/energy to learn, so there isn't likely to be an Evnissyen RPG anytime soon... although I'd love to write one. :|

I suppose I shouldn't be criticizing anyone just because the cool RPG they spent so much intensive time and effort putting together, not to mention selling, isn't perfect. One half of me wants to nag and nag to try to make the game more great, thinking that if he doesn't speak up then he's not being useful . . . while the other half thinks the first half is being a jerk and ought to be reasonable enough to shut up. We all know which half tends to win out.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Evnissyen wrote: Shroom: I know, I know... put my money where my mouth is, right? Thing is, I don't know how to program in C, and don't have the time/energy to learn, so there isn't likely to be an Evnissyen RPG anytime soon... although I'd love to write one. :|
BW doesn't write in C, either, you know. There are plenty of good higher-level frameworks you can use for game development - pygame springs to mind, but I'm sure there are others. For me, limited free time and complete lack of artistic ability are what keeps me from developing my own games.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Those shortcut game-building programs are just too limited, in what you're able to do. I haven't found a decent one yet.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

SpottedShroom wrote: BW doesn't write in C, either, you know. There are plenty of good higher-level frameworks you can use for game development - pygame springs to mind, but I'm sure there are others. For me, limited free time and complete lack of artistic ability are what keeps me from developing my own games.
Ah, but ask him what he would have chosen if he had a chance to go back and do it all over... ^_^
Evnissyen wrote:Those shortcut game-building programs are just too limited, in what you're able to do. I haven't found a decent one yet.
Agreed. For me, a "decent one" would involve me telling it exactly what I want to do and having it make exactly what I want. I suppose I'll just have to wait another couple-hundred years. *sigh*
Mod.
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mod. »

I'm really hoping for the chance for there to be in-game mini-games for book III (as was added to my list a day or two ago). I am really hoping for this, and I was hoping maybe some ideas from people here could make that idea become an actual feature.

I remember playing 3D Dot Game Heroes on PS3. There were all kinds of mini-games. I found at least two or three tower defense games on there, two racing games, and one breakout style game. I don't even know if I have half the game finished. After this post I am considering playing this again. I even remember some Zelda games from my gameboy (wonder where that is now?) long ago had a mini-game or two. Hey, even Black Ops has mini-games in it!

Anyway, the point is that the games were a nice touch. It was easy for me to appreciate those optional games and I was much more happy to have the game afterward. I didn't like it when there was a reward involved however, as some people might not be able to beat the challenge and get the reward.

I am really hoping for at least some small mini-game or something like one in Book III. If any of you guys can come up with some suggestions for games, I think it would be very nice to push BW into making it a part of Book III for us.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

BW was working on a couple of mini-games for Book II, but time constraints ruled them out. Perhaps if less time is needed for engine work, he'll be able to squeeze them into Book III... ^_^
Mod.
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mod. »

That goes with another item on my wish list. Take as much time as needed. I don't care about waiting, as long as it is as worth waiting for as possible. Just look at Gran Turismo 5. Worked for them.
Asgard The Elder
Senior Steward

Post by Asgard The Elder »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
xolotl wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:My memory says, solo in Book 3
I'm pretty sure that BW has said that Book 3 will remain solo, as well. I did stumble across a very early post from the Book 2 forums where BW had mentioned that Book 2 was likely to be party-based, so I'm guessing that the idea was in general just dropped for the Eschalon series.

(And FWIW, I'd prefer to just keep Book 3 as being a non-party-based game, so that the whole series feels more cohesive. Though of course I wouldn't complain if it did end up having a party system.)
Correct. Book III will definitely be solo. Party-based gameplay will have to wait for the next series.
Thank You...!
The Wizard Works Wonders to Behold
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Wait... was that thank-you for the solo Eschalon, or for the eventual party-gameplay post-Eschalon?

Or both?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Evnissyen wrote:Wait... was that thank-you for the solo Eschalon, or for the eventual party-gameplay post-Eschalon?

Or both?
Let's just go with "clarification." :mrgreen: