The Armor Quandary

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: The Armor Quandary

Post by blatherbeard »

When you put points in the armor, you not only gain more armor, you also gain damage reduction. I fail to see how its "useless". I take significantly less damage in game when my armor skills have had points alloted to them.

Unless im just missing something in your posts. Still seems like a subjective choice on where to put skills.

Ive tried the high dex/dodge way and i didnt really see that it was more effective, just less weight to carry.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

blatherbeard wrote:When you put points in the armor, you not only gain more armor, you also gain damage reduction. I fail to see how its "useless". I take significantly less damage in game when my armor skills have had points alloted to them.

Unless im just missing something in your posts. Still seems like a subjective choice on where to put skills.

Ive tried the high dex/dodge way and i didnt really see that it was more effective, just less weight to carry.
Points in armor gets you more damage reduction, but not more AR. Damage reduction is a deceptive name, though - it's a percent chance to take half damage from an attack. It's not completely useless, but it's a big waste of points to get to a useful level.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Points in armor gets you more damage reduction, but not more AR. Damage reduction is a deceptive name, though - it's a percent chance to take half damage from an attack. It's not completely useless, but it's a big waste of points to get to a useful level.

Ah ok, makes a TON more sense now, as i was thinking of the DR from Dungeons and DRagons where it actually meant you didnt take X amount of damage, period.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
voyager39
Initiate

Post by voyager39 »

Personally I found Heavy Armor to be a bit too cumbersome and not offering any more advantages beyond Light Armor. Yes, in due course I did try and acquire 1 point in that (buy a book maybe), just to be able to combine. Else I start with light armor.

Maybe its too late to talk of this, but I always found it slightly strange to make the distinction between heavy and light armor. Why not just have one type and call it "Armor"?

Lack of skill in using armor should likewise influence dexterity, dodge, speed, move silently etc (maybe it does) besides the repair part. From my own experience, I'd say if I put on a heavy bullet proof vest, helmet etc...it also causes fatigue (rate at which one loses HP, similar to hunger). And if I am carrying 40 Kgs...I certainly will lose on accuracy, hit probability etc to some extent. The extent depends on how well trained the individual is.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

What if... Heavy Armor peices gave you an extra enchantment slot? The density/thickness of the heavy armors might also provide more absorbtion for spells... :idea: It would give HA that added extra boost without totally reworking the armor system.