My idea for a new HUD

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

My idea for a new HUD

Post by King_ov_Death »

I've attached a sample of how I'd make Book III's HUD. (sorry BW for what I've done to your screenies).
There is a trick I didn't include: above the minimap there should be three buttons to alternate between the minimap, the actions (all the buttons above the message box) and the stats (HP, MP, Encumbrance, Experience, Hunger, Thirst and Effects).
My HUD for EB3.
My HUD for EB3.
Untitled 1.jpg (242.97 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
What do you think?
Mod.
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: My idea for a new HUD

Post by Mod. »

I remember someone made a topic for a conceptual HUD. It didn't look too bad and it fit everything in smaller space, though some people might not want it to be squashed so much.

I don't think there should be any major changes to the HUD design for book III. It doesn't look too bad, and it doesn't take up enough room to annoy people. Maybe changed for the next game, but not book III. Another option, if BW wants, he can design another HUD which players could activate using a command in the in-game console, or just leave it if they like it the way it is.
Joshua
Initiate

Post by Joshua »

As far as I know the minimap is always situated in the upper right corner, and most often overlaying the map. And it's not combined with player stats, involves too much clicking see?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Mod. wrote:I remember someone made a topic for a conceptual HUD. It didn't look too bad and it fit everything in smaller space, though some people might not want it to be squashed so much.
Was it this thread that you were thinking of? I remember thinking that it was a pretty interesting layout.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
Mod. wrote:I remember someone made a topic for a conceptual HUD. It didn't look too bad and it fit everything in smaller space, though some people might not want it to be squashed so much.
Was it this thread that you were thinking of? I remember thinking that it was a pretty interesting layout.
FWIW, I didn't care for that particular screen layout idea, though I appreciated the attempt to come up with something different as the launching point for a discussion on this issue... :)
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I vote for keeping the Book 2 HUD in Book 3.

BW's already changed the HUD once, and I find it rather confusing when I play Book 1 and then play Book 2. I would suggest leaving the HUD alone for Book 3, and then experimenting with a new HUD in the next series.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

No new interface for Book III, except for the possibility of allowing for widescreen LCDs- but that will not change the fundamental layout of the screen.

I will lock this thread and let it sink. Your suggestion is very much appreciated, King_ov_Death, but there will not be a major revision of the interface.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.