Mercantile useless ?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
ManusDei
Council Member

Mercantile useless ?

Post by ManusDei »

After playing a long while, I realised that Mercantile was at best useless to me. At first I always got the hat and read the book when I found them, but now I don't even bother anymore, as merchants don't have enough money anyway.

So is Mercantile really any use (besides the extra points for the achievment) ?

And wouldn't it be better to just squeeze it out of Book III ?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Mercantile useless ?

Post by CrazyBernie »

I think it's largely a matter of playing style. Barter/Mercantile is always one of the last skills I develop in any RPG.

It can be handy in the late game when vendors have more money, and if you're using the "barter" system to upgrade to some better equipment.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

And for Rangers it is extremely useful, as it halves the cost of your ammunition. One level of Mercantile takes standard arrows from 2 gp to 1 gp. If you're doing a lot of shooting, that's a big savings early in the game when you can least afford to waste money.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Some players use it to generate money quickly to buy better equipment and skill training. It gets harder to sell items, but it also reduces the money you need to buy items.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

The only time I ever used it was for a game-breaking merchant character. In Book II it's possible to level up enough at the start of the game to get to the point where you can sell things for more than you paid for them. Then all the free stuff makes up for the fact that you don't have any non-mercantile skills. It would probably be much more challenging in Book I.

The main advantage of this build is that you don't have to worry about hauling loot around. If you find an item you don't want to use, you can just leave it. You don't need more stuff to sell when things are essentially free for you.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

it`s the first skill I level up in E2. Always.
up to ten level I try to put at least one point in it each time.
finally I reach 23 skill points (25 with dealers hat), and that makes journey MUCH easier - all the potions I need are at hand.
Ranger with around 50 Demon Oil III, Haste and Invisibility can keep most enemies at bay - Mithril and Steel arrows also make difference.

Mercantile is a key survival skill - you get more money for the loot, and pay less for everything, including fighting skills (trainer+book = 10 SP = Skill Perks)