How about romance?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Nelly
Initiate

How about romance?

Post by Nelly »

It seems that romance is getting quite fashionable in today's games. Is there likely to be romance in Eschalon III or would that be out of the question? 8)
Ulundill
Pledge

Re: How about romance?

Post by Ulundill »

Uhg please no. I'm so sick of romances having to be in everything these days. Books, shows movies and video games. It's gotten to the point where you can just look at certain characters and go; "Yup, that's a love interest"

I've always felt that Eschalon was more like older rpgs about exploring and adventuring in it's truest form. A more personal experience without all the cinematic emotional cut scenes of the newer generation.

Besides you don't want to go down the BioWare path, they're just becoming the harlequin romance novels of the rpg genre.
Konjad
Pledge

Post by Konjad »

Please, no romances. I'd rather have developer spending time on one more quest than romance that seems to be forced into everything lately...
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I also say no. Eschalon is fine without it.

When heterosexual writers have two characters, one male and one female (and this is sort of hard to avoid if you have the protagonist wandering around a lot): the compulsion is Develop Love Interest. You can expand on this for same-sex romance. (BioWare has, at any rate, although personally I liked Leliana. She might be religiously obsessive, but she's complicated and traveled.)

Hollywood does it because it distracts from the lack of story, and love stories are popular. In RPGs the writing has to be really good and there should be a purpose for it for it AND a cost (and I don't mean one of you dying) -- otherwise it's a distraction.

BioWare, for example, hasn't quite ironed this out, yet. It would've been nice if the love interests in the last 3 BioWare games actually meant something.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

I agree ..NO romance.. I really dislike the whole forced romance "we need to cover all the bases to keep everyone happy" thing games do these days...

I know there are people that like Biowares writing. but to me it is so forced.. They beat you over the noggin and tell you THIS IS HOW YOU NEED TO FEEL AT THIS MOMENT!

Instead of writing a credible romance, put that extra effort into writing a decent plot/quests
kdar1987
Initiate

Post by kdar1987 »

I think it was good in Baldur's Gate. I don't think you were forced to have it either.
Thalion
Pledge

Post by Thalion »

I'd rather more quests than romances.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

No on any romance and for about the same reasons as the comments above. Put your time on better plot and gameplay. Iin my opinion Bioware is on the wrong track.