A Party and improved AI

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
ReligionIsDumb
Initiate

A Party and improved AI

Post by ReligionIsDumb »

I really liked the old-school gold box games and this reminds me of them, but I would love to be able to have a party so that I don't have to play through the game 4 times to experience the different character arch-types and add additional tactical options to the game.

This would, of course, require some AI work to keep the game challenging and get monsters to call other nearby monsters and retreat when injured so that the game stays challenging for a party and you can't just pick off one monster at a time and gang bang it.

From what I have seen of the first two books AI is where I see the most room for improvement per unit time spent.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: A Party and improved AI

Post by SpottedShroom »

ReligionIsDumb wrote:...so that I don't have to play through the game 4 times to experience the different character arch-types and add additional tactical options to the game.
I would call that "replay value."

And you haven't played through the game any times, right? Or are you admitting to having pirated it?
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

How did you get from wanting a party, to piracy?

I agree with OP, but I doubt anything will change for Book III. The games they list as Eschalon being inspired by are all party based games, so this is just a glaring gap.

Perhaps the futuristic Bard's Tale or whatever the next type they are cooking up will be party based...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The party idea has been discussed repeatedly. For this series, it's a solo character and will remain as such. He's exploring a long story about a single person who's involved in some big plan that he/she doesn't remember because of a memory erasing potion.

BW's next project, in early development, will likely include a party.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Mod
Apprentice

Post by Mod »

Solo games a greatly preferred for me. It makes you have to but more thought into character development, because there are no other people to make up for your character's shortcomings, and I feel I relate to the player better if there is only one. Solo ftw!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

tiresius wrote:How did you get from wanting a party, to piracy?
OP went on a rant in another thread about how the game is fundamentally flawed and he refuses to pay $5 for it. He's since made statements that imply he's played the entire game, though. Pirating a game and then complaining about it on the developer's forum is in pretty poor taste.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Personally one thing that brought me into this game was the, Im the hero and im gonna save the world alone, feel of it.

Too many games out there where you have a party because without one you cant play the game(or you can but its overly difficult).

Im selfish and i want to be the ONLY one to be able to save the world! ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.