Cartography - get rid of it

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!

Re: Cartography - get rid of it

Postby Lightzy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Freakin get rid of cartography:>

Frankly I think it's silly to have a skill that is to basically rob the player of one of the most basic of basic UI necessities and give it back to him halfway through the game.

Why not make a color bit skill where you only get 32bit color if you put 32 points in it and u move up from monochrome to EGA etc during the game?
Lightzy
Initiate

Postby Vroqren » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Cartography is ingeniously designed. Sorry if you beg to differ, but if you don't like the skill, just don't put points into it.
My Walkthrough for Book I is here, and my Walkthrough for Book II is here!
My Fathamurk Walkthrough is here.
Please PM me with updates or corrections for my walkthroughs!

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Cyan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:33 pm

BasiliskWrangler wrote:If not, spend the gold on booze and Taurax steaks.

+1 :D
Cyan
Pledge

Postby Antigrav » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:45 am

BasiliskWrangler wrote:My compromise: I'll make sure a cartography trainer is in the very first village you arrive at- and I'll make sure a small stash of coins is conveniently hidden nearby for which anyone can buy that first skill with, if they want. If not, spend the gold on booze and Taurax steaks.

I like the idea—and hope that I'm right—that the game takes place largely in jungle and that the only village is near the end of the story.

I propose an achievement: "Old School: Finish the game without needing a minimap."
Antigrav
Marshall

Postby Necromis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 am

actually that is easy to do. Once you go thru the place the first time and have all the quick travels marked out you can go about anywhere w/o the map.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Postby Salid » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:30 am

Perhaps I'm the only one with this point of view, but while I like the cartography skill in and of itself, what annoyed me was that you had to go through everything you already mapped with, say, level 2 cartography again with level 4 cartography just to bring it up to detail. I know it's perhaps not that realistic, but if this was somehow made easier I admit I'd be a little happier...
Salid
Initiate

Previous

Return to Eschalon: Book III