Storyline Questions [Heavy Spoilers]

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!

Storyline Questions [Heavy Spoilers]

Postby Prismatic Maelstrom » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:40 pm

In Book I your character leaves a paper trail for you to follow. Two of the three sealed notes end with the initial "E". Does this mean anything or is it just a random initial to confuse the player?

Answered by BasiliskWrangler in this topic.

In Book I the paper trail you left for yourself eventually leads you to your brother who was captured by the Goblins in Vela. In Book II Darus and Korren refer to your brother as "another guild member". Why don't they mention that he was your brother?

Randomizer could be correct although it seems odd none of the other Crius Vindica members refer to you as brother or sister.

In Book I your brother tells you to warn Erubor that the Goblins are planning an attack on Shadowmirk. He also tells you to seek advice from Erubor regarding the Crux of Ages "but only if you trust him." Does your brother know Erubor is a member of Crius Vindica? If he knows it seems like a bizarre thing to say.

Unanswered. I still think it was a very bizarre thing to say before dying.

In Book II why does Darus, Korren, Erubor, Sparrow and Shina not use your real name? According to the sealed note you leave for yourself in Aridell the name you think you remember was imprinted into your mind. Wouldn't they use your real name?

Unanswered. Nobody mentions being unable to tell you your real name for fear of attracting attention or being surprised at what you chose to call yourself.

In Book II we never learn who hired Zeblin to assassinate Darus. The obvious answer is an agent of the *One* but what if it wasn't his doing? Zeblin goes into no details.

Unanswered. Would appear there is no mystery to this question.

In Book I you can ask Erubor about the Orakur. He tells you he knows "very little about them" but "that they exist" and he doubts "they are a threat to anyone." In Book II if you tell Korren not to destroy the Crux stones because of what Shina told you he will say "there are no such things as Orakur." If Erubor knows about the Orakur why doesn't Korren? Or was Korren lying to you, and if so for what purpose?

If Korren was under the influence of Malkur as Lilith implies then wouldn't the Crux of Ages have freed his mind when he was in Talushorn?

In Book II was it coincidence that the *One* made his appearance right before you and Korren could destroy the Crux of Ages and Fire or leave Talushorn with them? Or did the *One* travel back in time to stop you?

Coincidence.

In Book II the *One* uses a metallic wand that disintegrates Korren with ease. How could you protect yourself against such a weapon? Could the answer be found in one of the crux stones?

The metallic wand has disappeared. Malkur just gives up in the end after several years of scheming when victory was in his grasp.

In Book II we discover in Fathamurk that it is possible to create portals through physical space, allowing travel to the past and the future with the use of a crystal mineral called Candecium. There are two portals that demonstrate this by sending you a second into the past or the future when stepped on. How does it work? If you go back in time and stop yourself from using the portal, does that mean you no longer exist? And if not does that mean you could abuse time travel and get yourself several Plasma Wands?

Karamiklan mentions a time line loop and a paradox cascade that could destroy Eschalon because of what the Orakur are planning to do.
Last edited by Prismatic Maelstrom on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Storyline Questions [Heavy Spoilers]

Postby Randomizer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:48 pm

In Book I the paper trail you left for yourself eventually leads you to your brother who was captured by the Goblins in Vela. In Book II Darus and Korren refer to your brother as "another guild member". Why don't they mention that he was your brother?

Some groups refer to members as brothers even without a biological relationship.

In Book II we discover in Fathamurk that it is possible to create portals through physical space, allowing travel to the past and the future with the use of a crystal mineral called Candecium. There are two portals that demonstrate this by sending you a second into the past or the future when stepped on. How does it work? If you go back in time and stop yourself from using the portal, does that mean you no longer exist? And if not does that mean you could abuse time travel and get yourself several Plasma Wands?

I tested this with a chronometer and there was no time difference beyond normal time travelled. So these portals were either purely spatial or not set for time.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Postby Prismatic Maelstrom » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Randomizer wrote:Some groups refer to members as brothers even without a biological relationship.

But none of the other members of Crius Vindica in Book II call you brother or sister.

Randomizer wrote:I tested this with a chronometer...

I'm sure the map designer wasn't thinking about a chronometer when designing this location.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Postby Lord_P » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:12 am

Randomizer wrote:I tested this with a chronometer and there was no time difference beyond normal time travelled. So these portals were either purely spatial or not set for time.

Time travel doesn't affect devices that show the time. If you take a clock to yesterday midnight it still says 9.13.

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:In Book I you can ask Erubor about the Orakur. He tells you he knows "very little about them" but "that they exist" and he doubts "they are a threat to anyone." In Book II if you tell Korren not to destroy the Crux stones because of what Shina told you he will say "there are no such things as Orakur." If Erubor knows about the Orakur why doesn't Korren? Or was Korren lying to you, and if so for what purpose?

Korren doesn't believe in the Orakur.

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:In Book II why does Darus, Korren, Erubor, Sparrow and Shina not use your real name? According to the sealed note you leave for yourself in Aridell the name you think you remember was imprinted into your mind. Wouldn't they use your real name?

Maybe your name in Book II is your real name?
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Postby Prismatic Maelstrom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:27 am

Lord_P wrote:Korren doesn't believe in the Orakur.

But why? BasiliskWrangler has already talked about this but I remain unconvinced.

When the Crux of Ages is taken from Bastion Spire I'm sure Korren had a meeting with other Crius Vindica members about the situation. Erubor and Darus strike me as important members and would of most likely been there. The Orakur would of been mentioned since they were made scapegoats by the influenced Chancellor of Thaermore and would of been dismissed since it is widely believed that the Orakur don't exist. Erubor knows this is not the case and would have no reason to keep quiet about it.

Korren should know regardless though. Book II starts in the year 727 and Crius Vindica is over four hundred years old. This would mean Crius Vindica were around when the Orakur were first spotted around Loneloft and before the skirmishes with them. Wouldn't of Crius Vindica recorded this information for future guild masters, especially after the Crux of Ages was found in Whistling Cave in the year 425 when the Plague Wars was happening?

Or is the "A History of Thaermore" book full of lies?

Lord_P wrote:Maybe your name in Book II is your real name?

I doubt it as there is no evidence to support this.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Postby Lord_P » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:44 am

All right, you bested me. TBH, I have no idea.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Postby Prismatic Maelstrom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:22 am

I'm probably discussing things that haven't been considered or fleshed out by Basilisk Games. Most players sadly only care to discuss the story when they get upset with what they find in Talushorn.

I wonder if Basilisk Games are fed up with me posting about the story all the time. :P
Prismatic Maelstrom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Postby Kreador Freeaxe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:21 am

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I'm probably discussing things that haven't been considered or fleshed out by Basilisk Games. Most players sadly only care to discuss the story when they get upset with what they find in Talushorn.

I wonder if Basilisk Games are fed up with me posting about the story all the time. :P

I'm just guessing here, but I'd have to think that's "Hell, no."
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Postby IJBall » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:...Book II starts in the year 727...

It's worth noting that this date is nowhere confirmed in Book II (at least, AFAICR...). That date was posted on the forums by BW before Book II's release, but this date is not mentioned in-game. In fact, I almost get the impression that more than 2 years has passed between Book I and Book II, based on Book II's preamble... FWIW.
IJBall
Major
Major

Postby Prismatic Maelstrom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Erubor wrote:Before you stands a tall, slender mage in shimmering blue robes. "Greetings Memnon. It is wonderful to see you again. I do not know if you remember me, but I assisted you a couple years ago during your time in Thaermore. It was a desperate time for us but I knew you would come through. I believed in you then, just as I do now."

We know Book I starts in 725 because of the calendar in Aridell.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Postby BasiliskWrangler » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:06 pm

PM - please note that despite my best intention, I could have messed up on some dates. All great authors, from Tolkien to Rowling (no I am not comparing myself to them, only using them as a reference to make a point) have had to make revisions on their literary work to account for historical inconsistencies.

The general storyline for Eschalon has remained solid since 2005, however some details have evolved along with the games themselves. Anyway, so far, I believe all your questions will be answered when you play Book 3, but I certainly look forward to discussing the full plot details after Book 3 is released to fill in any holes that linger.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Postby IJBall » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
Erubor wrote:Before you stands a tall, slender mage in shimmering blue robes. "Greetings Memnon. It is wonderful to see you again. I do not know if you remember me, but I assisted you a couple years ago during your time in Thaermore. It was a desperate time for us but I knew you would come through. I believed in you then, just as I do now."

We know Book I starts in 725 because of the calendar in Aridell.

A "couple of years ago" is actually non-specific ("two years ago" would be specific) - so it could certainly be 728, or possibly even 729, based on that phrasing...
IJBall
Major
Major

Postby Prismatic Maelstrom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Sonya wrote:You see a familiar woman practicing sword techniques. She greets you as you approach: "Hello! Welcome to... hey, don't I know you? Yes, I think I may have trained you a few years ago in Blackwater, before the fall of Thaermore. My name is Sonya, remember? As you can see I've made it out of Thaermore just fine and I've recently opened this new training facility here in Port Kuudad."
Thomas Riegsecker wrote:We are still unsure about character imports because if we implement this feature, your character will need to be “version adjusted” for the new game which essentially undoes your gains from Book I. Since the game takes place a few years after the events in Book I, we’ll start all players off as a Level 1 character with the realization that without the constant honing of your abilities you’ve become rusty and must rebuild your skills. Fans have overwhelming suggested to us that the building of a character from level 1 is more important than a straight import of a pre-developed character.

It looks like you are right IJBall but ultimately it doesn't change much.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Postby Vroqren » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:47 pm

It's hard to get exact dates for things like beginning dates of sequels, or even ending dates, as I proved with Steve Jobs (who I never got to finish, due to my brother wiping our hardrive without my consent :cry: . That's alright though, I was planning on buying each again, this time on steam anyway)
By the time I was just camping Rift Harpies to get to the maximum level, I had spent well over a year and a half in game.
My Walkthrough for Book I is here, and my Walkthrough for Book II is here!
My Fathamurk Walkthrough is here.
Please PM me with updates or corrections for my walkthroughs!

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Lord_P » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:56 am

Speaking of this, I recently got a new computer (My old Vista finally gave up, now I have a 7). I still have the old hard drive and is it possible to just move the folders into the new hard drive? The AppData folder (where all the important stuff is kept) tranferred without a problem, but do I need a new launcher and Datapak?

EDIT: Yeah, I know, Off-Topic as heck.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Next

Return to Eschalon: Book III