Doesn't work with XP SP3

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Bob the Thief
Apprentice

Doesn't work with XP SP3

Post by Bob the Thief »

I downloaded and installed the game 3 times. But when I try to run it, nothing happens.
Heavy Metal Monk
Apprentice

Re: Doesn't work with XP SP3

Post by Heavy Metal Monk »

To be fair, you're using a twelve-and-a-half year old operating system. Some things just aren't going to work anymore, my friend.
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

It's something else. It runs fine on my xp sp3 box.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Heavy Metal Monk wrote:To be fair, you're using a twelve-and-a-half year old operating system. Some things just aren't going to work anymore, my friend.
I have to disagree with your rather flippant response, HMM. The engine for this game is ancient, well within Windows XP's functional lifetime. There is no reason it shouldn't be expected to work correctly on Windows XP.

Also, if you read the manual for the game it clearly states under "Supported Operating Systems":

Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8

As such, anyone who is running Windows XP has a right to assume that the game will run on a system with that operating system.
Last edited by Corlain on February 17th, 2014, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkwind
Steward
Location: Salt Lake City, UT -- Or 35,000ft in the air on a Delta Jet.

Post by Hawkwind »

Corlain, I don't think HMM was attempting to be flippant. Maybe -- but in all honesty that was my initial reaction as well. That said, it works perfectly fine for me in my XPSP3 VM, but I'm having all sorts of issues in my UBUNTU box. Come to find out the libaries arent...oh nevermind. The point was that I agree that it must be something other than XPSP3 since mine seems to work.

HMM, were you attempting to run it on a very old PC? Or just one that happened to be XP for some reason. Have you tried other XP machines? Can you post a screenshot of the error?
Bob the Thief
Apprentice

Post by Bob the Thief »

It clearly says that this game will run on Windows XP. It is one of the reasons I like it. I have a nice quad core machine that I run XP on, on purpose. I have hardware and some software that is not supported by Win 7 that I choose not to give up.

When I start Book III there is no error message. Just nothing seems to happen. Looking in the taskmgr I cannot find any tasks that seem to indicate Book III is running. Perhaps there is an error log somewhere that I can look at.
MrPeepers
Initiate

Post by MrPeepers »

same thing happened to me running win7. had to change compatibility to win 98 and reduce directx to 7. play with the settings and compatibility modes
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Look in the Events Viewer under Administrative Tools in the control panel and see if there is anything in there.
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

It's perfectly working on XP SP3.