Questions, already...

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Stardragon
Initiate

Questions, already...

Post by Stardragon »

I've been playing this great game since Friday, and I've got a fair distance but I've got some questions.

[+] SPOILER
I can't work out how to get past the gates in the Lair of the Witch in Elderoak Forest. I've been down there several times. I saw a lever beyond some gates that I could shoot through, and a barrel of explosive next to the lever: I shot the barrel, it blew up, but nothing happened.
[+] SPOILER
SE of the geomarker for Elderoak Forest there's a secret path that leads around the river to a small clearing with a lever. What's that lever for?
[+] SPOILER
In Moonrise there's a graveyard with a gravestone that turns and opens something but I can't work out what.
[+] SPOILER
I've found 3 widgets, but not the titanium one mentioned on the paper in the Seawardens' haven. I've combed the world thoroughly (and even now I'm missing a quicktravel entry between Mirkland and Macross Point) but I can't find any other dungeons I've missed.
I really don't like asking for help: I love trying to work out these things in games as for me it's part of the fun! But I'm getting a bit frustrated and so I thought I'd ask. There's a lot more things I could ask about but that might spoil things too much :(
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Questions, already...

Post by Randomizer »

[+] SPOILER
The lever is supposed to open the center of the gate when the keg explodes. It's never failed me.
[+] SPOILER
It opens a portcullis on the other side of the river.
[+] SPOILER
It opens the route to the Baptism of Fire for those that can't find/use a Sigil of Fire and/or locate the Ranger's Grove.
[+] SPOILER

[+] SPOILER
The Titanium Widget is aboard the Shipwreck.

The geo marker that you missed is either on the north side of the river in Elderoak Forest or by the Ruined Castle.
Stardragon
Initiate

Post by Stardragon »

[+] SPOILER
Well, I'm stuck, because the keg's gone and I can't get through. Short of killing this character, starting again and doing a lot of replaying, I don't know what to do. I think the problem may have been a skeleton between the keg and the lever: I remember there being one there, but I can't remember where it was standing. But still: how do I proceed through there now, without wasting 20 hours of playing time? :-/
[+] SPOILER
Huh. I can't see how to get across the river in Elderoak Forest. Unless it's through the Witch's Lair, which, of course, I can't manage now.
3. Thank you. I thought it might have been something like that.

[+] SPOILER
I didn't know that was boardable. Okay, great. Thank you! :-)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

1. and 2.
[+] SPOILER
The alternative is to fight the long hard way up the eastern coast from Deadman's Strand which you did and head inland from Macross Point with more fighting. However you will need to find a way through a highly locked door with a high combined dexterity and pick locks or lockmelt spell since you won't have the key.
Stardragon
Initiate

Post by Stardragon »

1/2.
[+] SPOILER
I'm my way through Valley of the Wanderer right now. I wonder if the problem with the keg in the Witch's Lair is something other people have had? Maybe it might be worth coding in a backup/failsafe just in case the same happens again?... As for locks with much Dex and Pick Lock, I haven't seen a scroll of lock melt and the game just told me I can't learn any new spells, and I'm 15K XP away from another level... o_O
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

It is possible to unlearn spells now, If I'm not mistaken by selecting a spell and pressing Delete key.
Stardragon
Initiate

Post by Stardragon »

KillingMoon wrote:It is possible to unlearn spells now, If I'm not mistaken by selecting a spell and pressing Delete key.
Huh. Nifty. Thank you. :-)

Still debating what to do about the other problem. I guess I'll just have to start over. Sigh. Which is not a prospect I relish, I have to admit. :-(
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

You might get lucky and get the scroll with Old Moonrise and Moonrise being the places I usually see it. Sometimes Gilda, but not as often.
okashii
Senior Steward

Post by okashii »

My question:
[+] SPOILER
Has anyone figured out the four digit combination to open the gate to "Wizardtorium and Magic Crafter's Hostel" and would be willing to share the info?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It's randomly generated in each game and
[+] SPOILER
you need a certain spell to see it.
Stardragon
Initiate

Post by Stardragon »

Actually, I managed to pick the lock of that door! With my Pick Locks of 4 and Concentration of 27, on about the 8th or 9th try it popped open. :-)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Randomizer wrote:It's randomly generated in each game and
[+] SPOILER
you need a certain spell to see it.
[+] SPOILER
This is what I originally thought, but it turns out, if it's day and not raining, you don't need the spell at all.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I must be missing something obvious.
[+] SPOILER
What spell? I tried Cats Eyes and Predator Sight. I don't see another spell that would affect the appearance of the environment...
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

[+] SPOILER
The spell with reveal in its name
Bad pun BW
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Ahhh! Thanks!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland