A Suggestion Regarding "Minimum Hardware Requirements"

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Corlain
Apprentice

A Suggestion Regarding "Minimum Hardware Requirements"

Post by Corlain »

Regarding the "Minimum Hardware Requirements" and it listing a processor of 2.5 GHz. Don't you think it would be better to flesh that section out a little more?

I'm assuming that clock speed listed is for a single core Pentium 4? There are plenty of newer processors that run more than one core at a lower speed, but scale the speed of a single core up quite a bit within the thermal envelope. I think the way it is written now might confuse some people who are not familiar with how modern, multi-core systems work and think that their 2.1 GHz 3rd generation i7 core processor won't meet spec when it obviously will.

Just a thought.
Hawkwind
Steward
Location: Salt Lake City, UT -- Or 35,000ft in the air on a Delta Jet.

Re: A Suggestion Regarding "Minimum Hardware Requirements"

Post by Hawkwind »

So with the BlitzBasic engine being single-threaded, will it really gain all the efficiencies from a multi-core processor? That said, my lowly laptop from the late mesozoic ran III full screen a LOT better than it did II full-screen. WIndows-mode worked quite nicely, however.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Nah, it won't see any improvement with a multi-core system, but, a quad-core processor with a clock speed of 2.2 GHz, only using a single thread on a single core, can use its "turbo" mode to clock that single core up to 3.1+ GHz while keeping the other cores quiet, so it can easily handle the game. However, someone who isn't familiar with how dynamic clocking working with a multi-core system may think that their system can't handle it because their base clock speed is only listed as 2.2 GHz.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

I run Eschalon III on a 2 ghz computer (because I have no money :( ) and it works fine. No it is not dual core or anything. Older than the streets 2 ghz AMD.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole