General Thoughts on Book III, So Far (some SPOILERS)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: General Thoughts on Book III, So Far (some SPOILERS)

Post by KillingMoon »

I believe in general additional skills are less worthwhile in Book III, but definitely Alchemy has suffered.
The game is shorter and the Alchemy trainer isn't easily accessible, so your chance to develop Alchemy is less.
There are also no dwarven ghosts who drop Ectoplasm, while that is a crucial component for imbuing armour. Also merchants have limited supplies.

I never camp, so I can't speak from experience, but I believe it was a bit easier to get reagents from camping in Book II. I don't know how high your Foraging skill in Book III needs to be to get a good chance of useful reagents, I only know that the quality doesn't improve anymore above level 25 (only frequency of finding it still improves), but in normal play you won't get both Alchemy and Foraging in the 20's. The game should perhaps have been some 50% longer for that.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I definitely get the feeling that Alchemy is almost unplayable in Book III (a definite contrast to Book I, where I found Alchemy to be quite important to success in the game).

Heck, Level 1 in Alchemy won't even let you refill a lantern! (unless that's some kind of bug I discovered by accident...)

But there definitely don't seem to be enough Alchemical reagents in Book III to make it playable, even for a character that focuses all of their Skill Points on Alchemy early.

(I'm likely to try and test this in the next couple of weeks... I'll let people know how it works out.)
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

Level 1 Alchemy let you make fusing barrels or whatever its name (countdown explosion). Not vital as you can find some in shops, but can be handy in few cases.

EDIT: I was planing a replay with throwing weapon, foraging, alchemy. Looks like a wrong idea.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I put my thrown weapon game on hold after I found that I was having too much trouble with the north side of Elderoak Forest and the goblins. You really need high alchemy, about 21, to make lots of demon oil III and high dexterity so they hit.
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

IJBall wrote:I definitely get the feeling that Alchemy is almost unplayable in Book III (a definite contrast to Book I, where I found Alchemy to be quite important to success in the game).
But there definitely don't seem to be enough Alchemical reagents in Book III to make it playable, even for a character that focuses all of their Skill Points on Alchemy early.
I'm guessing that that could be improved in upcoming versions. There are definitely too few reagents overall.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

Randomizer wrote:I put my thrown weapon game on hold after I found that I was having too much trouble with the north side of Elderoak Forest and the goblins. You really need high alchemy, about 21, to make lots of demon oil III and high dexterity so they hit.
Yeah but if I can't have a good income of ingredients Alchemy 21 won't help. I'll try anyway but I'll probably not finished the character.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Palog wrote:Level 1 Alchemy let you make fusing barrels or whatever its name (countdown explosion). Not vital as you can find some in shops, but can be handy in few cases.
Actually, unless I am experiencing a bug, you don't even need a level in alchemy to do it. My first playthroughs of Books I and II I heavily loaded alchemy with points, but none of my other playthroughs of either game, and none of my three so far in Book III.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Does anyone know how to take a boat to mirkwood? I need to kill some Ahkadian Submerged creature king.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Look for a raft next to a black stone pillar and when next to the pillar, click on the pillar.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Randomizer wrote:Look for a raft next to a black stone pillar and when next to the pillar, click on the pillar.
Ok, I checked first the seawarden's guild because that made sense they might have a boat. I ended with a kitten. I then remembered someone say something about a witch so I figured that I can just give the cat to her and she will let me do the chest puzzle in back of her cottage. I didnt find that, so I ended up going all over the basalt dunes but no luck. There's 2 maps Wlyderan and Eschalon but mirkwood is just on Eschalon. Is it underground the big double town ?
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Did you yet go through the gate with the number lock in the south-eastern corner of Boglands?
Or else, go through the locked gate in the south of Rockhammer Mine?
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

KillingMoon wrote:Did you yet go through the gate with the number lock in the south-eastern corner of Boglands?
Or else, go through the locked gate in the south of Rockhammer Mine?
The Rockhammer Mine is locked and I dont have whatever key you need. The dwarf doesnt have it.
The boglands I checked but they never mentioned the combination. I was going to go with that but I dont have the combo and havent come across the combo yet. I am level 11 now.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

The combo can be found here:
[+] SPOILER
In the Seawardens guild there is a letter labeled "Maggot's letter". The combo is written on it.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

So I have some leftovers. What is that portal pentagram in rockhAmmer and west of macross?

What do I do with branch?

Is Captain Morgan just Easter egg?

In final battle I lost true healer. I doubt anyone could keep all troops Alive?

Do those trees in bAsement of castle mean I am missing something?
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

So I have some leftovers. What is that portal pentagram in rockhAmmer and west of macross?

What do I do with branch?

Is Captain Morgan just Easter egg?
[+] SPOILER
Future mod starting points
In final battle I lost true healer. I doubt anyone could keep all troops Alive?
[+] SPOILER
If you have a high armor rating. parry, and/or dense nimbus then you stand between the two forces and attract attacks to protect your side.
Do those trees in bAsement of castle mean I am missing something?
[+] SPOILER
Plant seeds fall down the air shaft from above to grow.