Starting out and a few questions

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
tungprc
Marshall

Starting out and a few questions

Post by tungprc »

Okay, love magic so I'll play a mage. Is perception still the key stat? I seem to remember putting 20 points in each last game and most of the rest in endurance. Is that viable?

Reveal Map, has this been tweaked to work after you leave an area or do you still need cartography?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Starting out and a few questions

Post by SpottedShroom »

Perception is the key mage stat, yes. You'll also need to boost Intelligence and/or Wisdom to learn higher-tier Elemental and/or Divine spells. I personally wouldn't bother with Endurance for that build, but it's certainly not a bad approach.

And yes, Reveal Map works correctly with Cartography now, although RM is now a one-time "burst" rather than lasting a number of rounds.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

You do need a level of cartography to see where you are on the map.

Enough perception and meditation can give you 5 mana points regenerated per round.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

That's where I was by the end of my mage playthrough, was 5 per round. It made super nova almost sustainable!

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

w00t! Thanks folks. So if I want both divination and elemental, I'll need to put points in Wisdom too then. Hmmm. Would I even need the skill spot hidden with a high perception? I took it with a test character and found several caldecium deposits in the beginning area. I guess I can just try it and see.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

tungprc wrote:So if I want both divination and elemental, I'll need to put points in Wisdom too then.
Yes, but there are items that give +6 Wisdom and can be found fairly early on.
Hmmm. Would I even need the skill spot hidden with a high perception?
I personally wouldn't. High Perception is usually plenty to find traps, and as for mining, that's what Supernova is for.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

Great, I started for real tonight and did the first level of the mine and turned in the two quests. According to several posts here there is a 2nd level of the mine but that isn't open for me. Do you have to wait a certain amount of time until it opens? I turned in the mayor guy's first, then collected from the scorpion guy and then paid the lady and I still can't go deeper.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

tungprc wrote:Great, I started for real tonight and did the first level of the mine and turned in the two quests. According to several posts here there is a 2nd level of the mine but that isn't open for me. Do you have to wait a certain amount of time until it opens? I turned in the mayor guy's first, then collected from the scorpion guy and then paid the lady and I still can't go deeper.
Once you have completed both the quests - kill all the roaches and return to Morwen and kill all the scorpions and return to Logi - exit and re-enter the mine. The entrance to the second level should be open.
tungprc
Marshall

Re: Starting out and a few questions (Bug)

Post by tungprc »

Pooey, it isnt'. I've been all the way through the swamps and back and it's still closed. Must be a bug. It's probably because I killed all the roaches and scorpions before talking to Logi at all. In fact, I talked to Logi, paid off the lady and have been back dozens of times.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Starting out and a few questions (Bug)

Post by SpottedShroom »

tungprc wrote:Pooey, it isnt'. I've been all the way through the swamps and back and it's still closed. Must be a bug. It's probably because I killed all the roaches and scorpions before talking to Logi at all. In fact, I talked to Logi, paid off the lady and have been back dozens of times.
Yup, sounds like a bug. You can use the map editor to remove the gates in your save file, though, if you want to work around it.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

good idea shroom. If you know exactly what I need to do, I'm game. I'm an editor newb. I'm not that far along, so it wouldn't be that difficult to start over and just do things in the expectd manner.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

tungprc wrote:good idea shroom. If you know exactly what I need to do, I'm game. I'm an editor newb. I'm not that far along, so it wouldn't be that difficult to start over and just do things in the expectd manner.
Install the editor first and make sure it runs. That should be easy on Windows, not so much yet on OS X. Then save your game - I recommend the last slot so it's easy to find. Load up the editor, select slot20 (the last slot - substitute a different number if you saved elsewhere and remember slot1 is the quicksave slot), and open rockhammer_mine.map. Select one of the closed gates, change the wall type to "none" and the wall image to 0, and hit OK. Repeat as desired. When you're done, go to File -> Save and then exit the editor. Now when you reload the save, you should be able to get to the second level.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

Thanks Shroom, but I learned something: If you don't kill the scorpions and collect 300 gold a bunch of times, the game works :) I played it straight and all works as it should. If you use the exploit you can get infinite gold but lose access to level 2 of the mines. BW should close the loophole in both cases. Make it fine to finish those quests in any order but make sure Logi only has 300 gold on him.