The Clams are watching???? (spoilers)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Ogbebaba
Initiate

The Clams are watching???? (spoilers)

Post by Ogbebaba »

I get a very strange message when i zap a strange chest. Unless the clams are watching me I am really missing something. Will someone PLEASE explain what is going on in the screen cap below?
[+] SPOILER
CynVicious
Initiate

Re: The Clams are watching???? (spoilers)

Post by CynVicious »

Wow, Shelta Marie is the tavern owner in Moonrise. Guess she has eagle vision that she can see you across the bay.
Ogbebaba
Initiate

Post by Ogbebaba »

[+] SPOILER
Thank you... O.K. now that I know it wasn't the clam that saw me shoot the chest I still don't see how shooting it was a crime. I guess the nothing in the chest is mine, but the chest itself belongs to someone else. Anyone know who that would be?

O.K. I tried to blow up the chest with a powder keg and now the town guard witnessed me committing a crime
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

CynVicious wrote:Wow, Shelta Marie is the tavern owner in Moonrise. Guess she has eagle vision that she can see you across the bay.
Wow, I knew the distance they could observe was far, but that's kind of crazy.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Yes, I find it a bit crazy too, the distance that NPC's can see you doing things, but this is how the game is at the moment.
I bet that a lot of players who are reporting about NPC's being hostile to them from the start have been caught by this. Especially on the Moonrise map it's best to only loot chests at night, in bad weather.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This is a bug, obviously.

We had to change the way NPCs were able to target, specifically for the end battle. There are a few quirks to this- namely, NPCs can now see very long distances as long as there is a clear line-of-sight.

Secondly, Clams are really just modified chests. So really, the problem is that we need to shorten the distance of NPC sights, and was need to flag clams as "non-crime" objects so you don't get in trouble for shucking one.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

Post by The Harpo Marxist »

This explains why the off duty dwarf miner followed me into the woods near Rockhammer and tried to kill me. He was not easy for my level 2 Ranger!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:This is a bug, obviously.

We had to change the way NPCs were able to target, specifically for the end battle. There are a few quirks to this- namely, NPCs can now see very long distances as long as there is a clear line-of-sight.

Secondly, Clams are really just modified chests. So really, the problem is that we need to shorten the distance of NPC sights, and was need to flag clams as "non-crime" objects so you don't get in trouble for shucking one.
Yep - in that same part of the game Lilith "saw me commit a crime!" when I took a pearl from a clam. Very strange!!... ;)
gunman
Pledge

Post by gunman »

The same happened when I opened the chest in the middle of the map, Lilith saw me from across the map and turned hostile. I will have to wait for the patch before playing this again because I don't like saving/reloading when opening every container. Weird how this issue was not reported during beta testing. Look pretty common.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

gunman wrote:Weird how this issue was not reported during beta testing. Look pretty common.
It has been reported during testing, I actually thought that every clam had been provided with a 'no-crime' tag, but looking at the last response of the developer in the beta-testing thread, it looks like maybe only one clam got this tag added.
Of all the clams with pearls, it's probably just a couple on the Baasilt Dunes map and one on the Moonrise map that give the potential problem.
If you have your game from GOG or Steam it'll be a while before a patch will get sent through to you.
Oldhunter
Initiate

Post by Oldhunter »

Hey guys, am new here. Been playing EB 1, 2 & 3 for years now but never joined this forum. Lots of good info here. So...
"The contents of this chest belong to you" Does that not mean that this chest is yours to stash extra stuff in?
gunman
Pledge

Post by gunman »

KillingMoon wrote:
gunman wrote:Weird how this issue was not reported during beta testing. Look pretty common.
It has been reported during testing, I actually thought that every clam had been provided with a 'no-crime' tag, but looking at the last response of the developer in the beta-testing thread, it looks like maybe only one clam got this tag added.
Of all the clams with pearls, it's probably just a couple on the Baasilt Dunes map and one on the Moonrise map that give the potential problem.
If you have your game from GOG or Steam it'll be a while before a patch will get sent through to you.
It was not a clam but a regular chest, but obviously could not belong to Lilith since it was in the middle of wilderness.

I bought the game directly from Basilisk.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Oldhunter wrote:"The contents of this chest belong to you" Does that not mean that this chest is yours to stash extra stuff in?
Yes, I think that's how it is meant, but I wouldn't use it for that purpose. Apparently also opening that chest can be seen by residents of Moonrise, but also it's not in a very central place.
Any barrel, chest or loot bag you can use to put stuff in and it will be safe.

Welcome to the forums, Oldhunter! :)