Medicine: is it not worth the trouble?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Medicine: is it not worth the trouble?

Post by Evnissyen »

I tentatively bought a +2 Medicine Ring from Gilda, but it didn't appear to do anything. I measured the number changes during camping and there was no detectable difference, though you healed a little quicker (on average) while walking. My question is, apart from that the heal speed should be just noticeably slightly quicker when camping, shouldn't the speed of recover while walking be constant? So, say... 26 normal, 20 with 2 Medicine etc?

(In the end I reopened the saved game and stuck with the Wisdom ring. I'd rather have the extra 2 % points in Disease Resistance.)

According to Farwalker there's a Medicine teacher nearby. I'll roam around for her, for what it's worth.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
peko
Initiate

Re: Medicine: is it not worth the trouble?

Post by peko »

If I remember correctly hp-regeneration is something like 1 hp every 50 turns (don't know the exact number) minus (Endurance + Medicine). So 2 Medicine isn't going to make a huge difference, unless you're already close to 1 hp/round in which case another ring might be more useful. But if you train it to 8 and read the book it's quite powerful. It's really nice for getting a decent hp-regen for rogues and mages.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Also it increases your toxin (poison) and disease resistances which can be useful.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Although I don't think many Book III specific updates have been made to the Eschalon wiki, almost all of the Book II info still applies. Add Medicine to Endurance. For non-Druids, you gain 1 HP every 50 turns, minus that sum, maximum 1 HP/turn. For Druids, consult this chart: http://eschalon.wikia.com/wiki/Skills#Book_II_4

I've personally never found Medicine to be worth the trouble. I'd rather boost Endurance, which also gives you more HP. And I'd also rather use Meditation/Perception for MP regeneration and use Divine Heal to recover HP.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Yeah, as mentioned here, worth training + book.

Meditation is more tempting to train further, available at the same trainer. I haven't found a book yet, but training to 8 Meditation allows 1MP/rnd at 34 Perception, 2MP/rnd at 44 Perception and 3 MP/rnd at 50 Perception. I'm considering an extra 5 skill points in Meditation to give me 3 MP/rnd at 45 Perception.

Extra Meditation might be worthwhile to increase resistances too, especially if you're close to maxing a resistance out.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Medicine is too powerful. If it wasnt for that, I would be able to get 60% resistance to all 4 at level 6.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Seriously, at this point at lvl 5 I've got:

19 Endurance
14 Wisdom (with +3 Wisdom ring)
18 Concentration

Resistances: 28 , 34 , 34, 34.

hp regeneration maybe every 27-32 steps without the +2 Medicine ring (it really ought to be a set number; randomizing that doesn't make sense to me).

...A +2 Medicine ring will quicken the hp regeneration per step to about maybe 22-27 (which would probably have made me keep the ring if it'd augmented my resistances), but when camping there's no noticeable difference, the clock is precisely the same as far as I can tell, even given that it goes very quickly. I watched it really closely.

...And, the Medicine ring does nothing at all to resistances (even though the game's Medicine description says it does)... unless Medicine only raises resistances per 3 levels, which sounds like a waste, in terms of Medicine to augment your resistance stats.

...I feel a little perplexed.

For some reason, I seem to remember Medicine working a little more effectively in Book II. Hmm... .
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.