The Ending... [Heavy Spoilers]

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
hakea
Apprentice

Re: The Ending... [Heavy Spoilers]

Post by hakea »

Stardragon wrote: I think in another thread he mentioned that Malkur's face was seen right at the start of Book I. It probably was, but there are two problems here: first, even with my good memory, I don't remember that (it being years since I played E1), and second, new players who begin with Book III aren't going to know that. If it's a major clue to the actual story, it needed to be played up more.
That's a good point. I confess that in most games I don't always follow all the twists and turns of all the lore and plots especially closely - and I certainly don't retain them over a whole series. I suspect that the majority of gamers are more likely to skim the details a bit and get somewhat distracted by aspects such as exploration, acquisition and combat (or the Tourism, Shopping and Punch-ups if you like…). I rather rely on getting a few plot refreshers along the way (which I thought that we did get) followed by a reasonably solid finale to hammer home the main message.

Fair enough to leave a few open ends in a Book 1 or 2, but I think that most of us would hope for a tighter and more satisfying finish to a trilogy. That would seem to be the case from many of the comments on the forum so far.

As mentioned, I thought that it was a brave attempt that, for many of us, just doesn't come off in its current form. Unfortunately, it seemed somewhat flat and rushed, as if TR was completely exhausted by that stage and just didn't have the energy left to do his ideas justice. I'm not claiming that I would have done better, but I do believe that it could please a lot of players if the writing in the end frames was made tighter and more decisive. It shouldn't be hard to do in a patch.

It's common in most forms of writing to leave time at the end of a project to re-write both the beginning and the end until they both have the necessary punch and sparkle. It felt like that didn't happen here.

But now to dig out Jupiter and refresh what's left of my memory about what GH did with that one… :)