Mercantile/Repair question

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
MrPeepers
Initiate

Mercantile/Repair question

Post by MrPeepers »

I haven't seen anyone talk about this so I thought I'd bring it up.

My first time through I have 10 points in mercantile plus the hat for a total of 12. And 3 points into repair plus the rings for a total of 5. I can buy/sell stuff almost at cost. I did this to make my arrows cheaper and be able to stock up on the "good ones" for later in the game.

Wondering if I'm the only one who buys "Poor/somewhat good" high value items, repairs them and resells for profit? I can make 3000-12000 doing this over about 48 hours of game time. My best was 18k. Especially from these dealers...
[+] SPOILER
The arms trader at Macross and occasionally Old Moonrise.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Mercantile/Repair question

Post by Randomizer »

The first is a good place to do that exploit, but it works better with mercantile over 15 and you only need repair at 3. With free food (clam chowder) and water you don't need to waste supplies.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

well, merchant is my usual build. around 23 lvl mercantile and with a dealer`s hat I can resell the same merch to every merchant with a profit.
late game leaves me with more than 100 k in gold and double that in equipment.

however...the early game is....tough
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't think the formula for Mercantile has changed since Book II: http://eschalon.wikia.com/wiki/Skills#Mercantile

"At level 20, you can buy items for their actual value. At level 25, you can buy and sell items for the same price. At level 26 and above, you sell items for more than you buy them for, and can make money by buying and selling the same items repeatedly. At level 58 and above, items cost a negative amount - you actually get paid to take them."
Solar
Initiate

Post by Solar »

SpottedShroom wrote:At level 58 and above, items cost a negative amount - you actually get paid to take them."
Quirks like that are just awesome, no matter how little sense they make.