ESCHALON TRILOGY - Q&A (SPOILERS)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: ESCHALON TRILOGY - Q&A (SPOILERS)

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote:
You have a sense that passing through these gates may be a one way trip, and there will be no turning back from here. Are you sure you're ready?...
Very good idea...
Especially since you get such a warning in areas that "just" kill you, like the trapped room in the Castle Dungeon.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

SpottedShroom wrote:
IJBall wrote:
You have a sense that passing through these gates may be a one way trip, and there will be no turning back from here. Are you sure you're ready?...
Very good idea...
Especially since you get such a warning in areas that "just" kill you, like the trapped room in the Castle Dungeon.
I was under the impression BW purposely made the end-game come as such a surprise, to troll the players?
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

SpottedShroom wrote:
IJBall wrote:
Very good idea...
Cut you put that in the right way for me, please? I am afraid I have no memories of being warned about an imminent sudden death... :|
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Calathon wrote: Cut you put that in the right way for me, please? I am afraid I have no memories of being warned about an imminent sudden death... :|
[+] SPOILER
The warning is this:
You clearly see three pressure plates in this room with a closed gate at the other side. Your instincts tell you this room is trapped and that you should be very cautious!
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Calathon wrote: Cut you put that in the right way for me, please? I am afraid I have no memories of being warned about an imminent sudden death... :|
[+] SPOILER
The warning is this:
You clearly see three pressure plates in this room with a closed gate at the other side. Your instincts tell you this room is trapped and that you should be very cautious!
Ah, yes, thanks! I totally forgot about that. :roll:
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:The Crux of Ages freed Chancellor Malcolm from Gramuk's influence. Can it do the same against Malkur?

Can I have a confirmation on this please.
The Crux of Ages was a special case where the gem was kept close to the Chancellor (in the throne room with him). This prevented Malkur from controlling the Chancellor directly, which is when/why Malkur began using creatures of lesser intellect (goblins and taurax) to do his bidding. It's also much easier to control the feeble-minded (Gramuk) or those already inclined to be influenced. The idea was to steal the Crux, and then destabilize the region through war and fear of the Orakur.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "Can it do the same against Malkur?".

Also, please note from a story-telling perspective: I didn't know if there was going to be a Book 2, so I tried to make Book 1 as much as a "complete story" as I could. I would have likely old that story a bit different if I had a 100% guarantee that Book 2 was going to be made.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: If you had the Crux of Ages and waved it about Julian, Wendy and Sparrow would it of helped them or is permanent what Malkur did? I always thought one of the reasons why the Crux of Ages was taken to Amireth was so that it wouldn't interfere with what Malkur was doing.
I read BW's response about the Chancellor as meaning that being around the Crux long-term can protect you from mind control. So maybe if you'd locked Julian/Wendy/Sparrow in a room with the Crux for a few weeks, they would have regained their self-control.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Yeah, I remember something about long term exposure from Book 1 also.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I can't find anything about a person requiring long term exposure to benefit from the Crux of Ages.
Perhaps not a benefit, per se. Surely the point wasn't missed that the Crux/candencium is akin to a radioactive* substance and as such extended exposure has an accumulative effect on people and objects, like radiation poisoning.

So, for the Chancellor, he likely had candencium poisoning which, while in close proximity to the Crux, limited Malkur's ability to control him. After the Crux was removed, the Chancellor began to fall more and more under the control of Malkur as the poisonous effects wore off, and he began sending his troops off on wild chases after "evil Orakur".

Even after you save the day and return the Crux (if that was your choice), the damage has already been done. The council has been disbanded, troops scattered and populous fleeing. It's easy for the goblins and taurax to bring down Thaermore and continue north.

*Being a fantasy story, it's not real radiation as we know it but some kind of magickal radiated energy.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Where did my post go? :? It was about killing the Dwarf that becomes Malkur.
I don't know. I even posted a response.

Glitch in the Matrix, perhaps?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:I even posted a response.
I'm still interested in your response if you can remember my original question.

And here is my last question. Why did the metallic wand that Malkur used at the end of Book II disappear for? I understand you had to make Korren's death quick and dramatic but I find it bad form that the metallic wand didn't make an appearance in Book III. I even made a topic about it, thinking it was going to play a part. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't.
Malkur was never a Dwarf. The dwarves mutated over multiple generations, each new generation more adapted to the underworld than the last. The candencium accelerated normal evolutionary adaptations/mutations by 100x for each generation.

You could, perhaps, go back and murder all the dwarves shortly after the cataclysm so that no lineage ever reaches the stage of "Orakur"...or, alternately, if you could identify Malkur's great-great-great-great-grandfather you could end his life to stop that specific line.

As for the Malkur's wand, as always, you have to decide whether or not you were helping Malkur. I mean, if you and Malkur are helping each other, then that wand would have been a teleporting device- meaning, Korren was most likely teleported somewhere in the world rather than destroyed. To you, seeing Korren disappear in a flash of light and smoke, you would have assumed "disintegration" but how do you really know? Malkur (knowing that Erubor was watching) would have put on a show to keep the truth hidden until the final stones were gathered. Perhaps striking the Crux stone with the beam was actually a clever way to have you teleported to a the region where other stones were nearby- I mean, you literally landed between the two other Crux stones.

If the wand was really a disintegration devise, then Malkur would have known the dangers of using on you while you possessed two Crux stones; he likely would have determined that weapon was too dangerous and reckless to use when he was so close to acquiring all four stones.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Ash is the powdery residue of matter that remains after burning.
Did any of your gear make it through the violent, high-energy rip in space-time that sent you 6 months into the future and 1000 miles away? Could that cloud of ash be a by-product of nearly everything you carried being vaporized as you were teleported- only the most exceptional material (the Crux) made the journey with you.

(Note: If it was possible, I would have gladly shown that you were completely naked after passing through the space-time portal, though I didn't want to render a naked character sprite so I kept just minimal clothing on them, and I really didn't want to see players try to complete the game as a "naked challenge".)

The Orkaur were naked too....and they didn't seem to bring anything with them into the past except for the "ship" itself, most likely made of ultra rare, exceptional materials. Perhaps this is why it took them so long to create the tools and parts needed to rebuild their ship.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Hmmmmm...

So assuming the metallic wand is a teleportation device, where did Korren go? Was he teleported to a great height and killed by the fall?
So many unanswered questions. 'Tis a shame there will not be a 4th Eschalon game to answer them...
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

Leezar wrote:Fatal flaw in the storyline;

You say you must prevent the volcano eruption, because it will release candecium dust, which is radioactive.

However, radioactivity cause microscopic trauma and celllular malfunction leading to necrosis or if you survive or in lower doses and over time mutations in the DNA, leading to senescence, scar tissue and/or cancer.

However!

The "healing spell" and "cure poison" taken together must be able cure necrosis since some poisons are necrotizing agents. The "cure disease" spell must be able to repair DNA-damage, since many pathogens, especially viruses, cause DNA-damage.

Which begs the question; why not simply build a couple of arks, go to seas during the eruption to survive the blast zone, and then train and employ a regiment of druids and vicars to continously heal the population, fighting back the radiation damage?
Very interesting idea. I think also that people could survive in mines and mountains such as the ones built by the Dwarves. It would only take a few wizards to sustain the populations with food and water, and I'm sure if oxygen ran low or something of the sort, they could come up with a spell to summon air. I doubt fire and poison raining from the sky could penetrate rock. Also, after a specified period of time, the children, grandchildren, etc. of the wizards could recreate life from samples kept underground before the whole disaster. And, if the disaster never occurred, then life would have a "backup". :P
Mod
Apprentice

Post by Mod »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Where did my post go? :? It was about killing the Dwarf that becomes Malkur.
Something about why Erubor had you go dwarf hunting?

Maybe Malkur and Erubor were in it together all along against the other Orakur? Maybe that is how he knew his name? Maybe there was a reason he didn't want you to just leave the Crux of Fire with him and teleport back to CV headquarters with the Crux of Ages, instead of taking both back to the "Enemy".

Maybe Lorewitch was lying about the nature of the plasma wand and was helping the Orakur Assembly the entire time. And Shadowmirk was secretly helping Malkur the entire time.

Maybe Erubor did decide to turn away from Malkur in the end. Or maybe it was a show to try to bring the other Orakur out of hiding? They managed to bring Shima out, if that was real. I also seem to recall Shima saying that The One only needed two of the Crux... but it could just be a bad memory.