Modding

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
mbrowne
Steward

Modding

Post by mbrowne »

I'm new to the series - just discovered it last month, but played through Books I & II and have started III. Great work. Are there other Blitz games done this well?? I know that oficial modding tools will be released, but is there any way at this point I can edit or swap some of the .png files?? I can see them listed in II and III but can't access them, and can't even list them in I. Thanks for any help. I've been able to find the music and sounds for Book I, but no gfx files for any of them.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Modding

Post by Lord_P »

I am no expert, but I think you can't, atleast by any legal way.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

All the graphics and game data are in an encrypted .zip file called "datapak". The unofficial editor is able (with BW's permission) to unpack the file to do things like display the official graphics. It doesn't currently support changing those files, though.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

Hey, Spottedschroom - I have a serious problem with editor - I`ve made a whole new map, full of content, however - it seems I cannot save a map like this.
Save as, save - everything ends with 0 kB files.
I`ve tried copying old ones and overwriting - still no effect.
Is there a way to save my map or content I`ve made from beeing just a pointless waste of time ? :roll:
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

severian wrote:Hey, Spottedschroom - I have a serious problem with editor - I`ve made a whole new map, full of content, however - it seems I cannot save a map like this.
Save as, save - everything ends with 0 kB files.
I`ve tried copying old ones and overwriting - still no effect.
Is there a way to save my map or content I`ve made from beeing just a pointless waste of time ? :roll:
Strange. What platform are you on? Do you see any kind of error message? Are you writing over existing files or creating new ones?
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

@ SpottedShroom

Win 7 64

I`ve tried - save, save as, save as other file.

The map is not yet ready, and I want to save it for later.

However, this is entirely form the scratch - I`ve just opened editor and started placing objects.

Afer "save as" the entire GUI just does nothing. It remains on the top, "save as" options causes another box to pop up - I confirm overwriting the file (which is unsecured), but it does nothing.
The box "cancel" is not working either, I have to close save us GUI by default X.

Export to PNG works fine.