Witch's house chest puzzle

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
salsaman
Initiate

Re: Witch's house chest puzzle

Post by salsaman »

And another thing - after solving the 3 clams in the Akadai underground, I assumed the symbol meant I had to insert 5 red gems... :shock:
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

salsaman wrote:And another thing - after solving the 3 clams in the Akadai underground, I assumed the symbol meant I had to insert 5 red gems... :shock:
I thought this same thing actually - I was glad for that spoiler on the forums, as it meant I din't have to buy 5 gems...

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

salsaman wrote:And another thing - after solving the 3 clams in the Akadai underground, I assumed the symbol meant I had to insert 5 red gems... :shock:
Me too! And I actually did buy 5 red gems. Oh well, I had plenty of gold at that point anyway...
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

HALgamer wrote: Had to downsize file and crop to make it legible (almost)
If I were you I would put the water skin in the upper leftmost slot in the chest and see if that works.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Well that was funny; you had actually figured it out but didnt know it.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Interestingly, on my first runthrough, I'm 99% sure that I too had more than one collection of items in there which weighed five pounds total, without the puzzle getting solved. I eventually decided to try the waterskin and that did the trick for me.

I'll see if I can reproduce that problem later, but I wonder if it's something to do with float precision, and the trouble that machines can have with floats. To quote a canonical example in Python:

Code: Select all

>>> 0.1 + 0.2
Perhaps under some circumstances, weights are adding up to something that's not exactly 5.0lbs, even though with the rounding in place on the UI side, it looks like they should be. Weights in Eschalon are stored as a "double" (a kind of floating-point value), so that's entirely possible.

In general when using floats/doubles, you want to avoid doing exact comparisons like "if x == 5.0", for those very reasons. You'll usually either apply some rounding functions, or test for a range, a la "if x >= 4.999 and x <= 5.001", or something.