How much lore skill?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Outlandish
Initiate

How much lore skill?

Post by Outlandish »

I'm currently playing a no-magic alc/forager. If I keep my INT at 10, anyone know how much lore skill I'd need to be fairly effective? Was using 2 +2 loremaster rings which did alright until level 9 or so, but now they are insufficient.

Or if mercantile is boosted does the cost of identifying drop?

Basically, if you're not going to learn divination, what do you do about identifying things?
kelticpete
Council Member

Re: How much lore skill?

Post by kelticpete »

spend money. goto the lady I think her name is leisle in rockhammer. buy some lore.

if you have an item you can't identify buy some more lore.

you can buy up to level 8. there also is book to look for called Elementary everytime you goto a shop look for it. the only other way to get it is random drop (good luck on that)
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

At INT 10, you need 17 lore to identify all the items in the game including very rare magical armors. Usually you need only 16 to identify bar of mithril. Higher intelligence helps.
Outlandish
Initiate

Post by Outlandish »

Thanks, that's a bit more skill points than I'm willing to invest to save a few coins. Better to just put all those points in Mercantile and not have to worry what it costs I'd imagine.

I'd think that skills like Lore and Spot Hidden that don't have all that much effect would be much better off if they maxed out at 10 or something like that; not much incentive to put all those points in them. I suppose to make the game harder, it'll give me something to do with a later run through the game.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

At end of game with a mage INT 36 or 39 not sure, some points in lore, probably 8, there was few items not identified. 17 in lore to identify all for an average INT seems high. Eventually identification gold cost should cost less and lore 10 and INT 10 should be enough to identify most items. If really focus on lore is a design goal then lore should brings something else to justify the motive to put 17 and more.
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

If you buy lore 10 and have 2 two rings that is 14. If u still can't id it u know it worth way more than the cost to ID. That way u don't spend character points
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

Forgot mention Mage INT 36 Lore 8 but also 2 rings of lore and still some items unidentified at end of game. The lore 8 was because I spend the book 2 points too soon not expecting lore requirement was that high.
salsaman
Initiate

Post by salsaman »

It would be nice if there was an NPC you could pay who would identify items for you. It would make sense if the lady who teaches lore could do this for you. Perhaps she could charge more depending on the level of lore required.

Suggestion for Book 4 :lol: ?
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

Any merchant will identify items for a price if you right-click on it. The cost is related to the value of the item.