Walkthrough Requests

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Walkthrough Requests

Post by Vroqren »

It's that time again - Time to help me write my walkthrough so that it's best fitted to the communities wants/needs.
I've only got one question so far though:
What aspects would you like to see in this walkthrough? Here is what I am planning on adding so far:

1. Controls
[+] SPOILER
-This consists of learning a basic understanding of the game.
-Subsections are: Hotkeys, Saving/loading, equipping your character, camping, and leveling up.
-Obviously this part doesn't need to be read by everybody, I'm just trying to cover some common questions from beginners to the game, or people who simply forgot.
2. Builds
[+] SPOILER
-This will discuss the pros and cons of many different builds, and where it is ideal to spend points, and where not to.
-Subsections are: Focused build, 2-3 skill build, 4-5 skill build, 6+ skill build, High Score. Under each of these I will discuss many different great options (so under focused build it's not just going to explain Unarmed Combat, and why you should put all your points into it, but rather, why, if you're going to put the majority of your points into one skill, why and how many, etc.).
-This is closely related to the next section.
3. Challenges
[+] SPOILER
-I will discuss tricks to making each challenge easier, and builds that help it be a much simpler challenge.
-Subsections are each challenge (built into the game).
4. Main Quest
[+] SPOILER
-Duh. I don't know how I'm going to divide up all of the main quests yet, but I will go in depth on easy ways through each quest on the main plot line.
5. Side quests
[+] SPOILER
-Duh. I will discuss each side quest as a different subsection.
6. Secret areas
[+] SPOILER
-The entire section will be in a spoiler tag so that if someone doesn't want these particular secrets spoiled, they don't accidentally see something they don't want to, and to condense the physical size of the walkthrough, as I did in this topic.
-Each secret area with be a subsection.
EDIT:
7. Bonuses
[+] SPOILER
-These will be bonuses that aren't secret areas.
-subsections will be gildmoon pendants, named weapons, and challenges (e.g. Rockhammer Mine, level 2)
So - What else (sections, subsections, or finicky details) would you guys like to see in my walkthrough?
Last edited by Vroqren on February 25th, 2014, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Jaymann
Apprentice

Re: Walkthrough Requests

Post by Jaymann »

Location of all the unique items and the fastest way to get them.

Location of all trainers.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Jaymann wrote:Location of all the unique items and the fastest way to get them.
Location of all trainers.
Ah yes - thank you. These will probably both go under the builds section in their appropriate builds.
If you'd like me to make a separate section for either though, let me know.

EDIT: I've decided to add a bonuses section, and named weapons will go under there (They will still also be under the build section for that build).

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Jaymann
Apprentice

Post by Jaymann »

Oh and of course the waypoint pillars. Now that I know where they are I tend to grab them first, especially for better merchants.
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

here are trainers I know about.
[+] SPOILER
Trainers:

Lore, Mercantile, and Pick Lock:
Leisle in Rockhammer found at the Weeping Dragon Tavern & Inn whose sign is at X,Y--47,112
Available after her quest.

Bow, Cartography, and Foraging:
Alywin is in a secret location in Elderoak Forest. Her general coordinates are X,Y--25,151. She teaches after you have some interaction with her camp of Rangers (led by Ranimer) during main quest.

Light Armor, Heavy Armor, and Shield:
Kirk found in Moonrise at Strongarm Gear whose sign is at X,Y--71, 62.

Arcane, Divination:
Father Nickolas. He is found in Moonrise at the Temple of Rai and the Sign for the Temple is at X,Y--59,69. After his quest. (right? I am guessing)

Weapons, Swords
Weapons, Cleaving
Weapons, Bludgeoning:

Shrock in Old Moonrise at Pike's Head Weapon Crafts whose sign is at X,Y--32,99. After a quest or 500 gold He will teach.

Divine, Elemental:
Valx Grayraven in Old Moonrise at The Dark and Dreadful whose sign is at X,Y--27,130. After his quest.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

[+] SPOILER
kelticpete wrote: Arcane, Divination:
Father Nickolas. He is found in Moonrise at the Temple of Rai and the Sign for the Temple is at X,Y--59,69. After his quest. (right? I am guessing)
Nope, Nickolas is not a trainer.
Divine, Elemental:
Valx Grayraven in Old Moonrise at The Dark and Dreadful whose sign is at X,Y--27,130. After his quest.
Only teaches Elemental. There is no Divine trainer.

And you missed Madam Gilda, who teaches Alchemy, Medicine, and Meditation after you retrieve her kitten from the Seawarden's Guild.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I know this topic had worked hard to make it's way to the third page, but I've got to bring it back.
I've got couple of questions for you guys, not regarding what you want to see in my walkthrough, but ones about skills usefulness.
  1. There is a partial alchemy list here. I don't really need a completed alchemy list, just to know if there's anything past alchemy level 15 (and if so, what is the highest level of alchemy that there's even a point in getting)?
  2. Is there a complete spells list yet? Again, I'm just wondering the highest useful level of both magic skills (damage doesn't scale with the level of the skill right? It's solely based on attributes and level of spell? I know that at least with Elemental toHit does scale).
  3. Same question, but about armors and shields: Where does it stop being useful to points into it?
  4. Foraging table (Again - I'm only really interested in where the cutoff of usefulness is, or does this one become more frequent the higher the skill level forever)?
  5. Hide in Shadows:
    Eschalon: Book III wrote:…The higher the skill, the less darkness your character needs to utilize this Skill
    If I am correct, there's only so many different light levels in Eschalon, meaning there has to be a cut-off for this, right?
  6. There's obviously a cut-off for lore - when you can identify everything. I understand there's got to be a table though, as Intelligence also influences this.
  7. Spot Hidden. Same Question.
  8. Any physical weapon skill: Where are the feats at maximum recharge?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Vroqren on February 13th, 2015, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

One more question:
If I recall correctly, there were changes made to the Speed attribute between Books II and III, that didn't make it into the character creation screen. What were these changes?

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:
  • There is a partial alchemy list here. I don't really need a completed alchemy list, just to know if there's anything past alchemy level 15 (and if so, what is the highest level of alchemy that there's even a point in getting)?
This is going to take a while... I might be able to do this with my current character, but I'll have to "branch" him off soon, so that I can "refocus" the "branch" to focus the rest of his Skill points on Alchemy rather than the Magicks...

Also, I'd like to know if the recipes are all the same as they were in Book II. I'm assuming they are, but I'd like to know for sure if Toadis Pollen is as useless in Book III as it was in Book II, etc....
Vroqren wrote:
  • Is there a complete spells list yet? Again, I'm just wondering the highest useful level of both magic skills (damage doesn't scale with the level of the skill right? It's solely based on attributes and level of spell? I know that at least with Elemental toHit does scale).
There is a simple list of spells, here.

I am still working on the Complete Spell List for Book III (a la the Book II version) - I hope to have it done within the next 3 days.
Vroqren wrote:
  • Same question, but about armors and shields: Where does it stop being useful to points into it?
Dunno for sure, but it looks like you pretty much only need Level 3 in either Weapons or Armor (edit: - my bad: it looks like you need up to Level 5) before you can equip anything without a penalty... I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!
Vroqren wrote:
  • Foraging table (Again - I'm only really interested in where the cutoff of usefulness is, or does this one become more frequent the higher the skill level forever)?
  • Hide in Shadows:
    Eschalon: Book III wrote:…The higher the skill, the less darkness your character needs to utilize this Skill
    If I am correct, there's only so many different light levels in Eschalon, meaning there has to be a cut-off for this, right?
SpottedShroom seems to be the guy who knows about the former.

Kreador usually seems to know about the latter. I also may have some kind of answer, because my third play-through is very likely to be with my Druidic Rogue who I plan to specialize in Hide in Shadows with. But I think HiS usually maxes out its usefulness around Level 12 or so...
Vroqren wrote:
  • Any physical weapon skill: Where are the feats at maximum recharge?
Randomizer thinks it's in the low 40s, and from my first playthrough I can confirm that that seems about right for maxing out the Feats recharging.

In other news, PER=40-ish seems to get your MP recharge rate to about 1 per turn, just like in Book II.
Vroqren wrote:One more question:
If I recall correctly, there were changes made to the Speed attribute between Books II and III, that didn't make it into the character creation screen. What were these changes?
Not sure, beyond the fact that Dodge is now complimented by Speed according to BW.
Last edited by IJBall on March 9th, 2014, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Toadis Pollen is still useless. *sigh*

I got to about alchemy level 13 before I needed to save several games to try leveling up to test the higher levels. The main difference is I think you need level 21 to get +3 armor rating and you need higher alchemy than the minimum level for demon oil to get multiple flasks at the highest level type you can make. I think BW reduced the number you can get too. So you 3 or 4 of demon oil I at level 9 and demon oil II at level 14.

The recipes still seem to be the same with the addition of fused keg.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Thanks to both of you - one question that has nothing to do with this topic (well kinda):
IJBall wrote:
What did you do differently from me here to make that work (The only difference I see is from my copy and pasted " to the one actually typed in here)? I'm using it a lot in my walkthrough, I would like to know what I'm doing wrong though...

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:Thanks to both of you - one question that has nothing to do with this topic (well kinda):
IJBall wrote:
What did you do differently from me here to make that work (The only difference I see is from my copy and pasted " to the one actually typed in here)? I'm using it a lot in my walkthrough, I would like to know what I'm doing wrong though...
When I quoted your entry for my reply, I noticed that the quote="Eschalon: Book III" part in your original was using "curly" (i.e. "smart") quotes - when I replaced them with "standard" (i.e. regular, or "straight" quotes), then it started working correctly.

Long-story short: For the BBCode stuff, make sure you use regular quotes, and not "curly"/"smart" quotes.

HTH!! :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Here's the complete alchemy list:

Code: Select all

Cat's Eyes Brew (Noximander Venom & Brimstone)
Detox Serum (Belladonna & Spider Silk)
Demon Oil (Corpse Ash & Brimstone)
Elixir of Cure Ailment (Wormleaf & Willowbark)
Flask of Charm Cloud (Dwarvish Mellowleaf & Ambergris)
Flask of Toxic Aura (Black-spotted Shroom & Sulfur)
Healing Elixir (Willow Bark & Sulfur)
Invisibility Brew (Ectoplasm & Noximander Venom)
Mana Potion (Ambergris & Mandrake Root)
Potion of Fortify Mana (Dried Brainstem & Raven's Heart)
Potion of Greater Protection (Anise & Wormleaf)
Potion of Haste (Dried Brainstem & Mercury)
Potion of Keensight (Dwarvish Mellowleaf & Mandrake Rt.)
Potion of Leatherskin (Brimstone & Raven's Heart)
Potion of Nimbleness (Stinkroot & Mercury)
Potion of Ogre Strength (Anise & Spider Silk)
Potion of Predator Sight (Stinkroot & Corpse Ash)
Potion of Restoration (Anise & Willow Bark)
Potion of Stone Skin (Black-spotted Shroom & Stinkroot)
Imbue ToHit (Auricflax & Mercury)
Imbue Damage (Auricflax & Ambergris)
Harden Armor (Ectoplasm & Ambergris)
Imbue with Fire (Ectoplasm & Sulfur)
Imbue with Cold (Ectoplasm & Corpse Ash)
Imbue with Poison (Black-spotted Shroom & Nox. Venom)
Create Fused Keg (Cotton Wick, Sulfur & Powder Keg)
Refill Lantern (Cotton Wick, Lamp Oil & Lantern)
For foraging, BW has said that you can get all items at level 25, and that after that it just increases frequency. I don't think it ever stops being useful.

I know that the feat recharge rates have been reduced from Book II, but I haven't worked out what the new ones are yet.

The HP/MP regeneration formulas are the same as Book II.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Thank you both very much. Out of curiosity IJBall - I write my walkthroughs in a text editing program (Pages, specifically), before I upload them here, just as a convenience. This means that I manually type all BBCode. I don't suppose you know of any way to force a straight quote mark?
If not that's fine - I can change them all once I upload it here.

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:Thank you both very much. Out of curiosity IJBall - I write my walkthroughs in a text editing program (Pages, specifically), before I upload them here, just as a convenience. This means that I manually type all BBCode. I don't suppose you know of any way to force a straight quote mark?
If not that's fine - I can change them all once I upload it here.
In Pages? Nope.
But, if you paste your text into TextEdit when you're done, and "Save" it as "simple text" (.txt) format, TextEdit should automatically turn all quotes into "simple" quotes. HTH!!