Where do I go next?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
MaximB
Senior Steward

Where do I go next?

Post by MaximB »

Hello,

I've reached old moonshire and all roads seems to be dead end for me,
all except that road with the digits gate, which I've passed and reached the ruined castle and beyond - however I seemed to miss a few "checkpoints" on the way, and I don't think I'm in the right level to be there.
It takes all my mana to kill a goblin, so I need to gain a few more levels, money, and better spells.

What have I missed and how fo I reach it?
Or, how do I reach Mirkland?
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Where do I go next?

Post by KillingMoon »

Scour the southern coast line of Deadman's Strand.
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

KillingMoon wrote:Scour the southern coast line of Deadman's Strand.
Deadman's Strand? where is it?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Deadman's Strand is past the security gate in the Rockhammer Mine or the Mirkland Gate in Southern Boglands that is opened by using the code in Maggot's Letter.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

Let me tell you, not paying attention to the map can make for a hard game. My first character went from the seawarden's guild straight to the blue floaty things and then through the number gate. The game was insanely hard. I didn't find Moonrise or Old Moonrise till I had done most of those other areas. Since the best spells are in Moonrise, I was fighting with Compress Atmosphere as my most powerful spell :)

Anyone who has finished a few times: can you post a map order suggestion for level progression? Maybe break it into a few sections so people who want some direction if they're feeling lost but not a total game spolier. Something along the lines of Windsweep Mountains, Rockhammer Town, the map where the guy blew up the pass, Rockhammer Mine, Seawarden's Guild-then a break, etc.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

tungprc wrote:Since the best spells are in Moonrise, I was fighting with Compress Atmosphere as my most powerful spell
I stopped using spark after I noticed the Nidaria were immune to it. :facepalm:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Randomizer wrote:Deadman's Strand is past the security gate in the Rockhammer Mine or the Mirkland Gate in Southern Boglands that is opened by using the code in Maggot's Letter.
I read that and now I can't find where I put Maggot's letter with the gate code. Could someone put it in a "Spoiler" quote so I don't have to go searching for where I hid it?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: I read that and now I can't find where I put Maggot's letter with the gate code. Could someone put it in a "Spoiler" quote so I don't have to go searching for where I hid it?
here is #
[+] SPOILER
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

kelticpete wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote: I read that and now I can't find where I put Maggot's letter with the gate code. Could someone put it in a "Spoiler" quote so I don't have to go searching for where I hid it?
here is #
Grazi.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

tungprc wrote:The game was insanely hard. I didn't find Moonrise or Old Moonrise till I had done most of those other areas... Anyone who has finished a few times: can you post a map order suggestion for level progression?
It would hardly add to the directions you already get in the game. The main quest line is handed to you in an unobscured way and even marked with a green star in your quest journal, and way markers are spread across the landscape.
It might be good to give a short summary of how the game starts off, including some names of crucial NPC's:
[+] SPOILER
You start the game with a crux in hand, and get told to get out of the wilds, look for the civilized world and try to find someone who knows about gems.
This person with some knowledge of gems is Arima, in Rockhammer. She already knows your name, and asks you to look out for a young woman in the Baasilt Dunes.
That young woman is Lilith, she hands you Erubor's letter, and in this letter you are advised to look for The Blackened Bone Tavern in Moonrise.
There you'll meet Dannia, who'll suggest you go to Mirkland.
When you've acquired a crucial quest item on Mirkland, the game sends you to the Astral range to speak to Alundar, in order to get permission to speak to Karamiklan.
That's the main quest line in a nut shell. There are many side quests that you'll probably need for XP and financial reward, and you also need to pick up a few additional items on the way for access to the Astral range.

If you haven't found Moonrise early in the game, then this must indeed be because of not paying attention. In the spoiler I've mentioned how the game sends you in that direction. It should always be up to the player when or how to deal with certain side quests, and there's not much to say against walking into an area that your quest book doesn't mention, by not exploring you'll miss things after all. But when that area you've stumbled into turns out to be ridiculously difficult, why not open up your quest book again and seeing what that is telling you?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

BW's suggested play through order:

1) Starting spot to Rockhammer
2) Level 1 Rockhammer Mine
3) General exploration of Boglands to Baasilt Dunes (meeting with Lilith).
4) Elderoak forest (main path zone, not Witch's Area) to Moonrise.
5) Seawarden Guild or Rockhammer Mine Level 2
6) Mirkland
7) Witch Area / Nidaria Area / Witch Dungeon
8] Abandoned Castle or Omentor Temple
9) Goblin Landing area (Macross Point).
10) Lower Astral Range
11) Alandar's Realm / Karamiklan's Dungeon
12) End Game