True Warrior?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

True Warrior?

Post by Painted Lady »

Just finished my first complete play-through, and I thought the game was terrific. I particularly liked the humor associated with Crazy Bernie, and enjoyed seeing Lilith and Captain Morgan again. Thought the hostels were a great idea. The puzzles were lots of fun. The only one that totally got me was in the witch's cabin - darn it all. The dedication to Dragonlady was a wonderful idea.

Anyway, have been thinking about another run through as a True Warrior. However, I'm not sure how that character can get past the Stinging Swarms. Any ideas anyone?
kelticpete
Council Member

Re: True Warrior?

Post by kelticpete »

Bludgeon kills em quick
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
agnari
Senior Steward

Post by agnari »

my objection to the True warrior, is you miss out on the option of a skill point or wealth at Magical Wonder Emporium because you didn't cast a spell and I've not found a way to Old Moonrise without equipping a ring either of which negates True Warrior Challenge

Unless there is another hint clue somewhere IG that I've not found. But I doubt it as the combo's code appears to change and the only way I can see to obtain it is via Reveal Map.

But it may not be considered NECESSARY to get to Old Moonrise or the safety deposit boxes between Moonrise and Old Moonrise - but then you'd miss out on maybe a quest or two??
Adventuring my way thru RPGs one pixel at a time.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Old Moonrise can be entered without breaking the True Warrior challenge.
[+] SPOILER
You need to explore the Moonrise cemetery by either lock picking a door or blowing up the fence around the blacksmith shop to gain entrance.
The Wizardtorium means you miss a secret area and improving your character, however it has been mentioned that turning your monitor's brightness up allows you to see the combination in daylight without any clouds.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Painted Lady wrote:The only one that totally got me was in the witch's cabin - darn it all.
That seems to be the one that wrongfoots most people - it's not the type of solution that was expected.

I'm a bad puzzler, quite a few riddles in Book II were beyond me, but in Book III I managed with all of them, except there was one where I had received a clue about, and that just happens to be witch cabin one. I'll now never know whether I would have gotten that without the clue.
They're fairly basic, the puzzles in Book III. they're often just asking something that isn't far away, except the question is put in a slightly cryptic way. That's also the only thing that makes most of them puzzles, but for me that's fine.
agnari wrote:But it may not be considered NECESSARY to get to Old Moonrise or the safety deposit boxes between Moonrise and Old Moonrise - but then you'd miss out on maybe a quest or two??
You could take the alternative route, as Randomizer pointed out, but you'd still miss out on the 'Baptised by Fire' quest.
SharpXe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by SharpXe »

save
cast spell
writedown number
load
use number
???
you just passed this annoyning obstracle that give no other way to solve just like many other things in book3

i just can't see any reason why there is no alternatives like:

door without lock that can only be bashed for players who like bashing stuff (with spell immunity)
passage with lots of traps and multiple locked doors for rogue players
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

So, is Bludgeoning the only melee skill that will take out the Stinging Swarms?
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Painted Lady wrote:So, is Bludgeoning the only melee skill that will take out the Stinging Swarms?
No, any melee skill will but some skills have a 50% reduction to damage dealt due to the swarm's resistance to it. The only thing that is 100% useless is firing arrows. I'm not sure about Thrown Weapons, and I'm not sure about whether knives and swords get a 50% damage reduction against these insects or not, but it's not a huge worry either way; a Stinging Swarm doesn't have many hitpoints.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

KillingMoon wrote: No, any melee skill will but some skills have a 50% reduction to damage dealt due to the swarm's resistance to it. The only thing that is 100% useless is firing arrows. I'm not sure about Thrown Weapons, and I'm not sure about whether knives and swords get a 50% damage reduction against these insects or not, but it's not a huge worry either way; a Stinging Swarm doesn't have many hitpoints.
My early attempt at a build was a Ranger who was going to use Piercing Weapons for emergencies. Well, a one point dagger in the hands of a person with 2 points in Piercing is completely worthless against the Stinging Swarms. I wound up starting all over after that debacle.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Oh, that's a surprise to me, I've tried several builds but never had any problem with Stinging Swarms, I believe my first swordsman was just taking them on unskilled unarmed, to save costs on weapon repair. Since I always play with weapon wear on it's quite usual for me to start off unskilled unarmed.

I didn't finish my first attempt, as I started to struggle too much at some stage, but it were monsters with lots of health that were wearing me down. I believe Swords and Cleaving Weapons are the worst melee skills; the feats are near useless and don't justify the wear penalty anymore.
I never like to play as a repair-camper and then melee becomes quite tough.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Throwing stones works fine against monsters with resistances/immunities to piercing, but not other thrown weapons.
agnari
Senior Steward

Post by agnari »

Randomizer

Thanks for the hint in the secret graveyard, I'd given up checking on the 2nd from the last when it called me a cheat. Pissed me off as I'd done nothing to cheat. Obviously one of the remaining 2 were what I needed.
Adventuring my way thru RPGs one pixel at a time.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Randomizer wrote:Throwing stones works fine against monsters with resistances/immunities to piercing, but not other thrown weapons.
Yes, that's probably it, thin sharp things must work out the worst against Stinging Swarms.
agnari wrote:Randomizer

Thanks for the hint in the secret graveyard, I'd given up checking on the 2nd from the last when it called me a cheat. Pissed me off as I'd done nothing to cheat.
Yes, I always felt that text shouldn't be there, you get there in normal game play.