Thrown Weapons Expert???

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
CynVicious
Initiate

Thrown Weapons Expert???

Post by CynVicious »

Has anyone played as this type of character? I am quite curious about this.

Weapons for this build seem plentiful yet expensive. Is it because they do more damage, you need less of them? I guess they also would not "wear out" since they are one time use?
Is it fun, or too hard? What other skills do you chose? Where do you spend your points? Is money a problem?

I would like to try this, but I am a poor character creator :(
If anyone has had a successful game please share any insight you have.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Thrown Weapons Expert???

Post by Randomizer »

I've tried it and got through a third of the game. If you stick to stones and darts with a few levels of mercantile the cost per throw is only 1 gold piece the same as regular arrows. While there are better thrown weapons, the extra damage isn't usually worth the weight and cost, however you might want to use them since there are usually less thrown weapons in the shops especially the cheap ones.

Get dexterity mostly since it increases to hit, damage, and armor rating. Some strength to carry thrown weapons, armor, and increase damage.

The problem I found is only stones don't count as piercing weapons versus stinging swarms, skeletons, and nadaria. So you need to stock pile them before the Lair of the Emayu Witch, the north shore of Elderoak Forest, and Lower Oceana. Otherwise you use up lots of them before they die. Also you can't parry with them as you can with a bow for increased armor rating. Then they have the shortest range so you have to soak up damage getting into range with goblin archers and others.

Also with demon oil if you miss the monsters only take the fire damage. Great versus sentinel stalks, but the rest move out of the fire.

You do need unarmed combat, bludgeoning weapons, cleaving weapons or spark (elemental magick) to deal with sealed barrels.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Randomizer wrote:Also you can't parry with them as you can with a bow for increased armor rating.
Wait, you can parry with a bow? That's got to be a bug.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Shhhhhhh!!!!!!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Randomizer wrote:Also you can't parry with them as you can with a bow for increased armor rating.
Wait, you can parry with a bow? That's got to be a bug.
Yes, you definitely can, and I don't consider it a 'bug' - is it so outlandish to think you could swing a Bow around to knock projectiles out of the air?! It doesn't seem that "out there" to me... ;)

The more interesting question is - can you Parry with Unarmed Combat in Book III, or is that still disallowed as it was in Book II?...
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

You can parry with unarmed combat as long as you have a knuckles weapon equipped. Although the distinction between bare handed and with a strip of metal protecting only part of your hand isn't much.