Meaning of the Note - possible bug? *small spoilers*

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
sbgimp
Initiate

Meaning of the Note - possible bug? *small spoilers*

Post by sbgimp »

Hi all!

So when I first found the rangers in the south of elderoak forest, they never gave me the 'meaning of the note' quest. He did progress the quest for his sister in the town to the west, and I was able to finish that one fine. Since then I have cleared out the lair on the witch, as well as getting the branch reward from the tree. I head back there, and lo and behold, he gives me the above mentioned quest. Soooo....is it completable now? I've already done everything with that storyline. My ocd with having this quest in the log is killing me...thanks in advance :)
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Meaning of the Note - possible bug? *small spoilers*

Post by KillingMoon »

You completed the quest already when you opened the secret passage way, and I'm assuming you got the XP for it. You cannot complete it again.
sbgimp wrote:So when I first found the rangers in the south of elderoak forest, they never gave me the 'meaning of the note' quest.
A couple of people have reported the same thing, but neither of them could produce a save or were sure of the exact circumstances, so it's possible the passage was already open, or that you didn't follow the exact dialogue line; you need to follow a specific dialogue line, asking about the Nadaria first, before you can ask for the note.
The quest for the sister is not related to this quest, the sister only 'tests' you first before willing to give you instructions for how to enter Old Moonrise.
There's at least one thing that's a little bug, because Ranimer shouldn't offer the note anymore at all when the passage is already open, but he apparently does that when you've saved the tree and he hadn't given it before. That's one thing the developer should look at.
Of course, there's no way you could open the gate if you hadn't seen the note, because you would have no clue about the password, it could be any word in the dictionary, so the problem only arises when you have knowledge from a previous play-through or you got the answer from someone else...
sbgimp
Initiate

Post by sbgimp »

Ok, good to know that it will never leave my quest journal. I will just have to deal with it, or see if I can manually remove it with the editor, not 'that' big a deal, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. And yeah, when I found the pedestal and just went and googled what the solution was (this was before I met the rangers at all, when I first got into the forest) I suppose that was what broke it. Anyways, thanks for the response!
dundonalddub
Senior Steward

Post by dundonalddub »

So where did you find this elusive word. Google just sent me here. :?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

The word can be found in:
[+] SPOILER
The book called "The Snows of May", which can be found 100% of the time in a cabinet in Old Moonrise. Using the strange note and the book you should be able to find it.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

KillingMoon wrote: A couple of people have reported the same thing, but neither of them could produce a save or were sure of the exact circumstances, so it's possible the passage was already open, or that you didn't follow the exact dialogue line; you need to follow a specific dialogue line, asking about the Nadaria first, before you can ask for the note.
I reported it on Feb 17 (see "Uglolek glitch"). No one bothered to ask me for the game I saved late on the 16th. But at this point, I'm not sure I care.

Mike