Semi-official bug tracking thread (SPOILERS)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Semi-official bug tracking thread (SPOILERS)

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:
xolotl wrote:(And then, after having lost Hidden In Shadows, it does seem that the status will be lost until you've been able to move totally out of line-of-sight for at least a few turns. That could certainly be intentional, though.)
When I first reported the problem, it wasn't just going "beyond line-of-sight (LOS)" to retrigger "Hidden" status - I had to go around multiple corners, far beyond the Mob's LOS, in order to re-establish "Hidden" status.
Yeah, I suppose we're probably talking about two separate bugs here. Yours is more specific to the re-acquisition of the Hidden flag, whereas mine's more about a disconnect between what the engine thinks and what it's showing to the user.
Chaotic Newt Ral
Initiate

Post by Chaotic Newt Ral »

[bug] Some enemies don't trigger floor traps (goblins in Castle Dungeon).

[bug] Foraging under Haste effect yelds 2 reagents instead of one.

[debatable] Throwing Flask of Charm Cloud at someone fails the True Mage challenge.

[?] Creatures killed by (hostile to you) Goblin Bobmthugs reward you with EXP.
[bug] Kills made by Goblin Bobmthugs (even hostile to you) counts as yours.

[?] Creatures killed by charmed creatures don't reward you with EXP.
[not a bug] Kills made by charmed creatures don't counts as yours.

[not a bug] Destruction of Graven Idol doesn't fail the True Healer challenge.
[bug] Destruction of charmed Graven Idol fails the True Healer challenge.

[wrong data] Some walls (wall images 364, 365, closed portcullises) lack see-through property (example: Rockhammer mine, near level two entrance).
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Just noticed this - while viewing the "Map of Mirkland" item, the label "Mirkland" on the map appears to be made up of what the engine considers a "transparent" color, so parts of the GUI show through. (Playing on 1.02 at the moment.)

Edit: While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and confirm the bug where mouse clicks while looking at a map get passed to the GUI underneath. If I click on where any of the toolbar icons are, for instance, the relevant menu-or-whatever pops up.
eb3_mirkland_map.png
eb3_mirkland_map.png (183.98 KiB) Viewed 19114 times
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:[UNCONFIRMED] Powder kegs disappear when dropped in specific places
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =30#p54226
I can confirm this one, btw. One such tile which causes the keg to disappear is the teleporter/pentagram floor decal.

Relatedly, it's sometimes possible to drop a keg and remove map elements by doing so. I'd seen this on bushes and other foliage decoration and figured that wasn't a huge deal... However, I just managed to do so on a green ceramic container. (I, uh, may have been trying to make Baelgar's life a bit more interesting. And shorter.)
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

xolotl wrote:One such tile which causes the keg to disappear is the teleporter/pentagram floor decal.
Isn't that working as intended? :lol:
timothypfox
Initiate

Post by timothypfox »

I think this a probably a glitch - you can give both of the frog head's to the guy in the Astral Plane. I gave him the withered frog's head and tricked him into believing it was the right one, and then later gave him the real frog king's head. Each time I got 10000 xp without any map reset or anything.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

timothypfox wrote:I think this a probably a glitch - you can give both of the frog head's to the guy in the Astral Plane. I gave him the withered frog's head and tricked him into believing it was the right one, and then later gave him the real frog king's head. Each time I got 10000 xp without any map reset or anything.
I believe this was already reported here: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =45#p54673

It's listed on the main post as "Some peculiarities with quests and heads" because there are a couple of other related bugs. It could certainly stand a more specific name, though.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

There's a map bug involved in the wooden walkway that connects NE Moonrise with SW Western Astral Range (ie: the path leading to the last Secret in Moonrise). To reproduce the most problematic side-effect:
  1. Head SW from Western Astral Range into Moonrise
  2. As soon as the Moonrise map loads, head NE or E.
  3. You'll find yourself stranded in the river in the NW corner of Elderoak Forest
And then one that's less dire:
  1. Head NE from Moonrise into Western Astral Range
  2. As soon as the WAR map loads, attempt to head W or SW.
  3. You'll get a "There is nothing more in this direction" message
This happens because the two maps are linked using "map link" objects placed on the walkway, rather than utilizing the auto-map-linking function which most of the outdoor maps use. They each have a "map_port" script, but the coordinates given on each place the character right on top of the other map's "map link" object. So while the character remains on that tile, it won't fire, which leaves the game to attempt the auto-map-linking as usual.

A simple solution would be to change WAR's maplink from:

Code: Select all

map_port 4849 299 ; areacheck
to:

map_port 4849 398 ; areacheck
And change Moonrise's maplink from:

map_port 4948 19700 ; areacheck
to:

map_port 4948 19601 ; areacheck
That would place the character outside of the corresponding maplink in both cases.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Another potential map bug I'd been meaning to mention: in Rockhammer Mine, Level 2, there's a little room with a barrel which contains Lamp Oil, which isn't accessible:
eb3_rhm2.png
eb3_rhm2.png (111.22 KiB) Viewed 19032 times
Looking at the map in the editor, it looks like there's one tile of rocks in the way.

My gut feeling is that it's there by accident, though it could be that the room's blocked off on purpose.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:[CONFIRMED] In some situations Ulgolek can un-recover after you restore him
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =26&t=8930
I'd been digging into fixing some bugs in the editor related to the "big" graphics (like Ulgolek) and stumbled across a fix for this, btw. Right now, hidden on the NE corner of that map (4949.map) is a "healed" Ulgolek graphic (set to sgfx_father_tree_2.png) with an ID of 1001, at coordinates (98, 4). To fix this issue, and have Ulgolek remain permanently healed, all you'd have to do is move that graphic down so that it gets read by Eschalon after the Ulgolek that you can actually get to. For instance, I'd tested it out by moving it down to (98, 34). The pre-healed Ulgolek is still barren, but once he's been healed up, he'll stay that way for the rest of the game.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

I actually came across this in Book 2 last night, but this morning I confirmed that it's a problem on Book 3 as well. Basically, the feat recharge for Masterful Riposte is broken. The counter which lets the feat recharge doesn't actually get reset properly after the feat is used, which makes "Riposte Sniping" much more difficult to use. Another side effect is that the feat by default will not recharge as quickly as the other weapon feats.

Here's an easy savegame with which to replicate: b3-riposte-recharge.zip

Steps:
  1. Use Riposte on the Deathbringer
  2. Then start running NE, away from it
You'll note that the feat does not recharge, even though the character's Swords skill is at 40.

I haven't tested this as extensively as I did on Book 2 last night, but assuming it works the same, there are a few things which do reset the counter, such as: getting hit by an enemy, using a normal attack on an enemy, or casting a spell. To observe what seems to be the best-case for Riposte recharging at the moment, you could use these steps:
  1. Use Riposte on the Deathbringer
  2. Wait a turn (the Deathbringer will attack, hitting you)
  3. Now start running NE. After a further five turns, the feat will have recharged
I'm pretty sure that enemy attacks which don't hit you also won't reset that counter. Anyway, as you can see, in that "best case" scenario, the feat now takes a full six turns to recharge. The counter doesn't get reset until after the Deathbringer hits you, and it seems like there might be something else going on, too, because even looking from that point on, all the other weapon feats recharge in less than five turns.

I'm guessing this hadn't been noticed since fighter-type characters are far less likely to engage in "sniping" type activities, but it's something that should probably get addressed regardless.

Edit: Unequipping and re-equipping your weapon seems to reset the counter as well, at least in Book II, which is probably the best workaround I can think of at the moment, though it requires some finagling to get right if you're doing sniping.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:I think someone else reported this issue in one of the OS-specific 'bugs' forums - but, yeah, "s" is supposed to bring up the Character Stats window, and I think it's wrong in the general.cfg file where it's listed as "z" (and "z", as you said, is supposed to bring up the Game Stats window). Someone said that if you fix this in the general.cfg file, then that will "fix" this...
The "charsheet" action is already mapped to "s" inside general.cfg, so it's already fixed there. I just tested out changing it to some other key, and even when I do that, it still shows up a "z" in the GUI, and isn't directly accessible.

Oh, and also interesting: if I change gamestats to something other than "z", in the game, it also changes the charsheet mapping. So yeah, I think it's definitely a bug - the engine is assigning gamestats' key to charsheet, which makes the latter unavailable directly.
I was just looking over the bug list in the first post and noticed that this one's not on there. Should probably get added.

(Unrelatedly, I'm assuming that BW might eventually use that list as a reference for a bugfix release, as he did in Book 2 - if so, for the Ulgolek-un-healing bug, you could mention that I posted a quick solution to that one over here: viewtopic.php?p=57157#p57157 - could save some time. :)

That is all!
GChrisSfish21
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GChrisSfish21 »

One of the specific spaces where powder kegs disappear are on previously sprung traps. You may know about this, but is also a warning to others who might lose a valuable keg.
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Post by lilwoofer »

Okay, this is probably a bug with my computer, not the game and am wondering what needs to be done on my side to rectify things. Firstly, when I am in the first few hours of the game, it starts raining, usually in the marsh, the game freezes my entire computer. I have had to HARD reboot my computer as I can't escape. No other game has ever not given me the ability to escape and return to my desktop. And is it because the rain takes so much memory? I cannot allot RAM to games any more like I was able to in olden 9.0 and before OSes.

Also, the game freezes whenever I have an overload of loot and am trying to move to sell it. I have Ogre Strength on and 9 out of ten time it freezes just like the rain.

Thirdly, this game leaves artifacts all over my HD screen... sparkly lines going across my monitor. These stay in place until I put my computer to sleep. Again, no other game does this to my computer, including EI and EII. '
And this is my computer info:
Mac OS X 10.6.8
2 X3 Dual Core Intel Xeon
4GB 667 mHZ DDR2
ATI Radeon x1900
I will stay an initiate, please,let the officers, lieutenants, etc. do the brain work, I will be the grunt! GRRRR-Unt!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

lilwoofer wrote:Okay, this is probably a bug with my computer, not the game...
I actually wonder if your machine could be overheating. The rain animations probably put more strain on the graphics card, and maybe Book III is simply "heavier" in that respect..

What other games work okay? Eschalon does take up a nontrivial amount of CPU, it'd be nice to know what else that's graphic-heavy actually works okay.

(Edited so that I don't use the word "heat" fifty times in a row in the first paragraph, sheesh.)
Last edited by xolotl on May 13th, 2014, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.