Semi-official bug tracking thread (SPOILERS)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Semi-official bug tracking thread (SPOILERS)

Post by SpottedShroom »

xolotl wrote:one of the Beholder-like creatures in Omentor - did those have an official race name in the Eschalon universe that I've forgotten?
I believe it's "dimensional eye"
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

Despite Blue Nidaria being 50% resistant to projectile attacks, I just dealt 454 physical damage to it. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or due to 46 skill level in bow +30% Power Strike, x2 critical hit, x3 damage intense focus, +2 damage bonus using a Supreme Petrified Great Bow with diamond arrows or not... lol

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Those multiplier bonuses really make a difference, 6 times a base 75 damage and that has a +30% power strike.
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

Is there anyway to reach this spider or is it just poorly placed and stuck?
Also, the built in screenshot mechanic seems a tad bit weird. Whilst holding tab to make the spider clear, the colors of the screenshot make it look like an xray.
[+] SPOILER
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

I had the same thing on one of my games, spent ages to get in with out success, then suddenly he wandered out of there :?
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Ssschah wrote:Is there anyway to reach this spider or is it just poorly placed and stuck?
Ah, interesting. That'd certainly be a map bug - whether or not you can get to the spider probably depends on what its first move is. Looking at it in the map editor, the spider was placed directly on top of some rocks:
[+] SPOILER
eb3_spiders.png
eb3_spiders.png (92.52 KiB) Viewed 17543 times
If the spider moves down as its first move, it'll get stuck in a little inaccessible pocket. If it moves up first, then it'll be where it's supposed to be and you can kill it.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

This is more of a feature request than a bug, but it'd be nice to be able to click through the Karamiklan/Malkur/Erubor pre-battle dialog, in addition to using the keyboard. Edit: And actually on the end-game dialogs as well.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I found another in the character editor, though it's not quite a spelling mistake or bug.
All attributes descriptions have their own name in blue (<blue>Dexterity</>) except Strength, which is in green.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Something that's bugged me for awhile, and I keep thinking this must just be something stupid I'm doing, or some byproduct of playing via wine for the time being (since sound on the Linux version is still a bit bugged), but... Is there actually a way to bring up your character stats sheet without hitting "x"? In the general.cfg file it says it's supposed to be "s" and the keyboard shortcut popup (via F1) says "z" (which obviously conflicts with the game statistics window).

Am I just missing something obvious, or is this actually a bug? Or is it working fine for nearly everyone and it just happens to be some wine issue which is causing it?
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Maybe you are a shortcut-addict, Xolotl, and I'm the opposite; if I see an icon on the screen I'll never learn about the corresponding shortcut key.
I'm always using the 4th icon in the row of icons just under the adventure map, that's you character sheet.

At least I am assuming you forgot about its existence.

I happen to know the story of someone who failed to open the door of his car electronically, and then performed some acrobatics, hanging above a canal, to get in through the passenger door, until someone told him he could have opened his own door using the key...
So I do know people sometimes overlook the obvious. I apologise if that wasn't the case here, though, but I can't tell from your post. :roll:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:Something that's bugged me for awhile, and I keep thinking this must just be something stupid I'm doing, or some byproduct of playing via wine for the time being (since sound on the Linux version is still a bit bugged), but... Is there actually a way to bring up your character stats sheet without hitting "x"? In the general.cfg file it says it's supposed to be "s" and the keyboard shortcut popup (via F1) says "z" (which obviously conflicts with the game statistics window).

Am I just missing something obvious, or is this actually a bug? Or is it working fine for nearly everyone and it just happens to be some wine issue which is causing it?
I think someone else reported this issue in one of the OS-specific 'bugs' forums - but, yeah, "s" is supposed to bring up the Character Stats window, and I think it's wrong in the general.cfg file where it's listed as "z" (and "z", as you said, is supposed to bring up the Game Stats window). Someone said that if you fix this in the general.cfg file, then that will "fix" this...
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:I think someone else reported this issue in one of the OS-specific 'bugs' forums - but, yeah, "s" is supposed to bring up the Character Stats window, and I think it's wrong in the general.cfg file where it's listed as "z" (and "z", as you said, is supposed to bring up the Game Stats window). Someone said that if you fix this in the general.cfg file, then that will "fix" this...
The "charsheet" action is already mapped to "s" inside general.cfg, so it's already fixed there. I just tested out changing it to some other key, and even when I do that, it still shows up a "z" in the GUI, and isn't directly accessible.

Oh, and also interesting: if I change gamestats to something other than "z", in the game, it also changes the charsheet mapping. So yeah, I think it's definitely a bug - the engine is assigning gamestats' key to charsheet, which makes the latter unavailable directly.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

KillingMoon wrote:Maybe you are a shortcut-addict, Xolotl, and I'm the opposite; if I see an icon on the screen I'll never learn about the corresponding shortcut key.
I'm always using the 4th icon in the row of icons just under the adventure map, that's you character sheet.
Heh, I was aware of that, though honestly those row of icons generally live in a mental blind spot for me - I'm definitely a shortcut-addict. I spend my computing life on a commandline in Linux and will typically avoid using a mouse whenver possible. :) If "x" didn't work the way it did, I'm sure I'd be using the mouse.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:[UNCONFIRMED] Problems with losing and re-gaining "hidden" status
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 161#p55702
I think that there's definitely something going on with the Hidden status. At the very least, there's a mismatch between what the engine actually thinks and what it's saying. I started up a new thief/assassin-type character and I've been having a devil of a time trying to get Hidden to work well for me. I've just made it down to Mirkland and I've got Akadai Dartflingers seeing me and attaking while my character still retains both "Hidden in Shadows" and "Silent."

I actually did manage to capture a good save demonstrating this: http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/misc/b ... hidden.zip - that'll unzip into a directory called "slot1"

If you load and just "wait," the Dartflinger will ignore you as it should. The instant you take one step east, though, it'll start attacking even though you've still got Hidden in Shadows and Silent.

Edit: Okay, after some more playing around with the character editor: Even upping my Hide In Shadows skill up to 60, that Dartflinger will still suddenly "see" me and start attacking. What seems to help is raising my Move Silently skill - if I raise that up to 10, I can at least get closer to the Dartflinger before I start getting attacked. Raising it up to 20 lets me get right next to it without it being alerted. The actual GUI "Silent" status doesn't seem to go away until the turn after I've actually lost it, though. And then the "Hidden in Shadows" GUI status doesn't go away usually until the turn after that.

(And then, after having lost Hidden In Shadows, it does seem that the status will be lost until you've been able to move totally out of line-of-sight for at least a few turns. That could certainly be intentional, though.)

Edit edit: Back to my unaltered character there (Hide In Shadows of 16, Move Silently of 3):
  1. Move E
    • Dartflinger attacks
    • Hidden in Shadow and Silent are still present
  2. Wait
    • Dartflinger continues interest (usually a move, for me)
    • Silent status is lost, Hidden in Shadow is still active
  3. Wait
    • Dartflinger continues interest (usually an attack)
    • Hidden in Shadow is lost, but Silent comes back on
  4. At this point, HIS seems lost "forever," but Silent can come and go depending on your actions.
So... strange. I'm guessing that HIS has gotten nerfed over time so some of this might be intentional (I seem to recall that at least in Book1, a high enough HIS pretty much meant that you'd never to have worry about combat again), but the GUI stuff should probably get fixed, in an ideal world. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:(And then, after having lost Hidden In Shadows, it does seem that the status will be lost until you've been able to move totally out of line-of-sight for at least a few turns. That could certainly be intentional, though.)
When I first reported the problem, it wasn't just going "beyond line-of-sight (LOS)" to retrigger "Hidden" status - I had to go around multiple corners, far beyond the Mob's LOS, in order to re-establish "Hidden" status.

(Perhaps this could be related to the current 'bug' where NPCs can see very far away?...)

In any case, I definitely had problems with "Hidden" status (specifically in the Witch's Lair, and the Skeleton mobs...), beyond even what you saw. Also, my character was at Level 6 HiS skill, if it matters.

FTR, I think the problems with HiS and "Hidden" status goes back to Book II... (Checking... Yep - see: under 'Skills' bugs...)